Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley.....help needed....

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I agree with your sentiment on all three of those places. Horley has a Waitrose, and that is literally the best thing you can say about it. East Grinstead is as you describe, except to also say that it is the UK head quarters of all the nutjob "religions" that America has to offer - most notably scientology. Horsham is fine and the schools are decent.
I'm guessing Horsham would be expensive given the op wants more bung for her buck.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Crawley is bad but worst place I've ever lived is Molesey. Not one half decent bar, full of Palace and Chelsea, no nightlife, full of either snobs or chav scum, nothing inbetween. The Sun and The Mail are the only two papers you can but in most shops. Everything closed by 9pm, overpriced restaurants or kebab places are only food choices. Pubs are full of either twice divorced alcoholics who are behind on maintenance or chavvy teenaged pot smokers. I never go out here, always head back to Brighton or into London for nights out. Had one night out here in almost 2 years. Moving away on March and not before time. I am being honest when I say I have pretty much had a breakdown living here, I've been desperate to get out at times. Soul destroying place z

Brighton does spoil you for life though.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
:lolol: I think even most of the residents of Broadfield steer clear of going down the Barton for a pint. The Imperial looks a tad, erm, "edgy", shall we say?

The White Knight in Pound Hill doesn't look much like a spot for a sophisticated glass of wine or two amongst chums...correct me if I'm wrong, Crawley people? :)

Used to go to the White Knight on a Friday lunchtime when I worked for Airmiles, we nicknamed it the White Shite, says it all really. However that was a good 10 yrs ago, maybe it's different now!

I was born and raised in lancing, then moved to West Worthing, then after getting a job up here the commute was a killer, so decided to move up here back in '98. Lived in Pound Hill, Ifield, Ifield Green and now Tilgate.

Crawley is fine if you avoid living in the rough areas already mentioned. Like others I also avoid going out to the pubs and clubs in town but that's probably cos I'm 43 now so too old!

Restaurants are good as is the Cinema/bowling and shopping. The little villages in the surrounding area with their country pubs are really good and as we're on the edge of Tilage Park which is a massive country park, it doesn't really feel like we're in Crawley at all. Work is only a 15 min cycle ride away as well!

For you it depends where you need to travel to for work. if it's north of Crawley then best get a place near Three Bridges station or if your driving then stick the favoured areas already mentioned.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I agree with your sentiment on all three of those places. Horley has a Waitrose, and that is literally the best thing you can say about it. East Grinstead is as you describe, except to also say that it is the UK head quarters of all the nutjob "religions" that America has to offer - most notably scientology. Horsham is fine and the schools are decent.

I noticed the other night that there's a petrol station in Horley where the shop bit is a Waitrose :ohmy:

What is it about East Grinstead that so many religious organisations base themselves there? Is there some sort of geographical reason (ley lines, that sort of thing)?

Aside from the Scientologists, there's the huge Mormon temple at Newchapel, which I think is one of their two UK HQs, two or three Kingdom Halls of Jehovah's witnesses, and the Rosicrucians & Opus Dei also have locations nearby.

Somebody call Hybrid_X!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Used to go to the White Knight on a Friday lunchtime when I worked for Airmiles, we nicknamed it the White Shite, says it all really. However that was a good 10 yrs ago, maybe it's different now!

Was that at Astral Towers near Fleming Way? I used to work there for BA Holidays when AirMiles were in the building. We used to head down to the Wingspan (aka "the Wingy") for lunch. Five minutes in there and you'd come out smelling like an ashtray.

Some of them would head up the road to that hideous pub in Langley Green, think it was called Jordan's or something like that.

Scope for lunchtime drinking is limited when you work on the Manor Royal industrial estate.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Was that at Astral Towers near Fleming Way? I used to work there for BA Holidays when AirMiles were in the building. We used to head down to the Wingspan (aka "the Wingy") for lunch. Five minutes in there and you'd come out smelling like an ashtray.

Some of them would head up the road to that hideous pub in Langley Green, think it was called Jordan's or something like that.

Scope for lunchtime drinking is limited when you work on the Manor Royal industrial estate.

Well that's spooky as I left Airmiles to work for BAH back in 2002 and I'm still here! Wingy is no longer here, not sure what it's going to be now, although we do have a Tesco's extra on the corner

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005

I tend to call it the White Fight these days. Did pop in there for a going home pint on a recent Friday night, and the place was dead. Barmaid was so pleased to see me, she didn't want me to go.

I would say the Hillside is a better all round pub. Holds a beer and music festival in the summer too.

I would avoid the town centre on a Friday/Saturday night, unless you like watching a mini riot. Though I do like The Swan and Brewery Shade.

Lived in Crawley all my life and I live in Pound Hil, or as I prefer to my part, Worth. I love the countryside nearby.

Wouldn't mind moving though, if only for a change of scenery.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Well that's spooky as I left Airmiles to work for BAH back in 2002 and I'm still here! Wingy is no longer here, not sure what it's going to be now, although we do have a Tesco's extra on the corner

Ah yes, that Tesco is much utilised by me in the current job. Think I was at BAH from about 98 to 2002. At the time, we all had "chequebooks" of AirMiles that you could write out & give to colleagues for going above & beyond, helping you out and so on. When the company went through a merger with Thomas Cook Holidays & started treating everyone like crap, everyone ended up writing these cheques left, right and centre, as a small gesture of defiance against the companies. I'd give someone a hundred AirMiles for putting the kettle on, a hundred more for walking over to the photocopier and picking up a piece of paper etc :lol:

I flew to Washington DC and home thanks to the considerable contribution of some very generously awarded AirMiles for such activities :clap:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I tend to call it the White Fight these days. Did pop in there for a going home pint on a recent Friday night, and the place was dead. Barmaid was so pleased to see me, she didn't want me to go.

I would say the Hillside is a better all round pub. Holds a beer and music festival in the summer too.

I would avoid the town centre on a Friday/Saturday night, unless you like watching a mini riot. Though I do like The Swan and Brewery Shade.

Lived in Crawley all my life and I live in Pound Hil, or as I prefer to my part, Worth. I love the countryside nearby.

Wouldn't mind moving though, if only for a change of scenery.

You mean: you never popped into JJ Whispers* for a Bacardi Breezer & a slap? Shocking.

*Home to Channel 4's triumphantly acclaimed production The Nightclub Toilet

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
You mean: you never popped into JJ Whispers* for a Bacardi Breezer & a slap? Shocking.

*Home to Channel 4's triumphantly acclaimed production The Nightclub Toilet

Have to say I've missed out on that experience so far.

Used to frequent Ikon & Diva when it first opened, and Brannigans when it was around. Brannigans seemed to let the people in that Ikon & Beaver wouldn't, so thus had a extraordinary level of low life.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Have to say I've missed out on that experience so far.

Used to frequent Ikon & Diva when it first opened, and Brannigans when it was around. Brannigans seemed to let the people in that Ikon & Beaver wouldn't, so thus had a extraordinary level of low life.

I remember back in my Astral Towers days, one of the women in my office (a Crawley native, obviously) was absolutely beside herself with excitement when Brannigan's first opened. Every weekend prior to that, she spent in the Jubilee Oak, followed by Bar Med and then Ikon or Diva :ohmy:, so you can imagine how thrilling the presence of another option was to her. How we looked forward to Monday mornings and her unrelenting tales of Crawley nightlife.

PS: I think you've missed your chance with JJ Whispers. I have a feeling it's been closed down due to repeated licensing breaches :lol:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Horley strikes me as a character-free, ugly commuter town with not much to recommend it. It's also in Surrey. Not the posh bit. East Grinstead suffers from inconvenient transport links and is one of the dullest towns on earth. Unless you like niche religions: a survey a few years back found it was home to more religious cults than any other town in Britain.

I'd pick Horsham out of that lot. Can't get a direct train to Brighton (same as EG) but it's a pleasant enough little market town in the main.

These views are mine alone & are not those of NSC :)

I'd go along with all of that, not just because I'm in Horsham now, but I've lived temporarily in the other 2 and wouldn't do so again

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I was in Astral for Airmiles 2006-2010. My (now) Mrs has been there 20 years this year :)

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
This is all very helpful! Thank you....

Any views about Guildford, Godalming, Dorking or any of the outposts in that area?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's not more choc full of Palarse than it is Albion. You'll find lots of big London club support there though, with Chelsea the most prominent. It's a bit sad really, considering Palace & Brighton are both only 20 minutes away, never mind the fact they have their own league club these days.

As for Crawley, I get tired of defending it - especially from people who live in shìtholes elsewhere in Sussex, and other utterly boring no-mark places. It's simply a classic English blue-collar new town and this invites an awful lot of misplaced snobbery on here IMO. Sure, it lacks character, it has some truly crap areas, it has concrete buildings you wonder how ever got through planning permission and some of the people are proper chavs - but as far as I'm concerned, a lot of this is common throughout the country. In it's favour, the shopping facilities are decent, the municipal facilities are far better than Brighton's (when you consider it's relative size), traffic is rarely an issue, and the biggest thing is that you can choose to work locally and actually afford to pay your mortgage.

Why do you get tired of defending Crawley when your location says Surrey?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Agree with Sister, I work in Crawley and it's no where near as bad as people on here make out, there are some nice leafy areas of housing, the town centre is what it is and you'll find all needs catered for and there are some cracking curry houses. K2 is brilliant and far surpasses anything Brighton can offer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here