Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crawley friendly

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Forget the second half as the reserves were on although special mention to Dallison and Rea, two very promising CB's. Rea was vocal during the whole match and looks part of the first team.

I know Crawley were particularly bad in the first half but I think we made them play that way. We harried them all over the park which meant they made plenty of mistakes and we completely bossed them.

It was a 4-4-2 with Solly and Lua Lua out wide providing good width with Rosenior and Bong getting forward quickly to support.

Beram and Stephens took it in turns to go forward with the other falling back and they look to be the dove tailing nicely. Both took their goals really well so hopefully that's a good sign that we'll actually see some midfielders getting some goals.

Up front I thought Baldock and Hemed are beginning to hit it off and they played some nice passes together. They almost conjured up the first goal but Baldocks cross was just too high for Hemed. It looks a VERY promising partnership!

All in all yes it's only Crawley but if I base it on last years performance this was a hundred times better.

However we desperately need another winger! I feel sorry for Solly getting injured again but he just didn't really get into the game, whilst Lua Lua showed what he was about by going past their player at will. If we get Marshall on the other wing we could offer a decent service and see more goals this year!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If we get Marshall on the other wing we could offer a decent service and see more goals this year!
More than 44? Yeah right, pull the other one mate, it's got bells on.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
As bad as Lewes was in terms of desire, that was better.

After 5 mins, Hemed and Baldock had moved more than Colunga and COG had done in 60 mins at Lewes.

Far more structure 4-4-2 , though we were a little open, Solly not really in the game he until he got injured. Good passing, liked Bong who linked up well with KLL.

Second half Dallison looked very assured and for me a better bet than Rea.

Good performance but it was against a poor, poor team and I really do think they could go through to the conference.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Good performance but it was against a poor, poor team and I really do think they could go through to the conference.

Agree on both points Teddy.
I've just backed them to be relegated at 10/1 - was only allowed £4.18 on it though. :glare:
If Walton had gone there on loan he'd have certainly been kept busy all season!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Any reason why Caskey missed this game and the Lewes one?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
From where I was standing it looked like Bruno was playing RB and Rosenior in the centre.

Good game. Great entertainment value. Crawley not very good, but at least we scored a few goals. Impressed with Bong. Thought KLL and Baldock both had good games. Who was number 17 playing RB in the second half? He was good.

Encouraging.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
And what was particularly unhelpful was the fact that the programme had a list of Albion players, but no numbers, and the shirts had numbers, but no names. So trying to find out who was who was quite a challenge.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Any palace shirts in attendance :whistle:

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
I was sat just next to the press box and when about 11 substitutions were made at the same time the face of the reporter next to me was a joy to behold. Had to help him out with the Albion subs. Luckily he had the team sheet (with numbers) so I kept peeping.
Much better friendly than last year's butchering by Crawley. Hosts still seem short of full match fitness.
Great strike by Stephens - cmsesque.

Brighton did play well in the first half. Bong looks excellent, tall strong decent technique. Kayal class as ever and LuaLua a constant menance. It did take something special from Stephens to break the deadlock though and a nonplussed Crawley then got run over for the next 10 minutes by some very good high tempo play by us. Yes the front partnership looks promising but Baldock will have to do a fair bit more to make me think he's the answer after last season. Hemed looks mobile and threatening, now obviously let's see what change he can get out of teams near our ability.

And that was the problem - Crawley were not total garbage but are rebuilding again with little money and looked like they didnt know each other, a lot of new combinations. Baffling they kept out their best attacker McLeod who might have caused problems if he'd played more than just a bit at the end. Yates will have a job to do to keep them up.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
We played decent stuff in the first half, loads of width with the 4-4-2. thought Bong looked good, apart from a bit of ball watching at times. Kayal and Stephens were class as usual, centre mid is not a area that needs improving especally which Ince, Crofts, Holla and JFC to come in. Thought Baldock and Hemed looked good as a pair. White(?) the right back that come on looked very assured for a youngster. We was never going to score in second half which still shows how much work there is to do in final 3rd.

wouldn't get too carried away tho as Crawley were pants, I would of caused there right back problems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here