Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] CP supporters are not ALL Arseholes...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Was on (two) Concrete Batching sites in Kent for a Client today. Second site as I signed in we started nattering about football as you do and it turns out the Batcher was a Crystal Palace ST holder (born a mile or so from the ground) and he and his brother used to do all the away games they could until matrimony stepped in.

Mentioned I was Brighton Fan and expected to be luzzed out of the Batching Cabin.

Couldn't have been further from the truth, we had a good old time talking over our teams and also others in the PL.

He did say that it stuck in his craw after 40 odd years of watching Palace to say he couldn't deny we were currently a level above them, especially midfield.

His opinion about Palace was they would do well to avoid the relegation battle which will be upcoming, although we both agreed that there at least half a dozen worse teams below them. Not too impressed with Vieira but 'better than Hodgson' was his opinion.

Zaha on his bike fairly soon he reckoned, was most amused when I mentioned his NSC Name is Mr Tumble!

Both wished each other all the best when I left site , except for next Wednesday. :lolol:

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
The unspoken reality is that we have considerably more in common with Palace fans than a vast majority of other clubs. In fact, these days anyway, we are very very similar.

But it should remain unspoken, for the sake of the pantomime rivalry...

Wankers.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Fortunately I WFH, but my office happens to be in Croydon. Only a handful of colleagues are actually Palace fans, but when I'm up there in the office or on Teams calls etc, I much prefer having a natter with them about football than the plastic Liverpool, Man Utd etc ones. Perfectly nice people and their views are pretty much the same as the Palace fan the OP encountered today, though a couple are much more scathing about Zaha and want him gone just to bring an end/certinaity to it all. Nice lot though and very complimentary about Albion.

I'm off work Wednesday, looking forward to the day and going to the game in the evening and very much looking forward to Thursday morning and chatting to a few colleagues about the night before. ;)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Was on (two) Concrete Batching sites in Kent for a Client today. Second site as I signed in we started nattering about football as you do and it turns out the Batcher was a Crystal Palace ST holder (born a mile or so from the ground) and he and his brother used to do all the away games they could until matrimony stepped in.

Mentioned I was Brighton Fan and expected to be luzzed out of the Batching Cabin.

Couldn't have been further from the truth, we had a good old time talking over our teams and also others in the PL.

He did say that it stuck in his craw after 40 odd years of watching Palace to say he couldn't deny we were currently a level above them, especially midfield.

His opinion about Palace was they would do well to avoid the relegation battle which will be upcoming, although we both agreed that there at least half a dozen worse teams below them. Not too impressed with Vieira but 'better than Hodgson' was his opinion.

Zaha on his bike fairly soon he reckoned, was most amused when I mentioned his NSC Name is Mr Tumble!

Both wished each other all the best when I left site , except for next Wednesday. :lolol:
You Batchers are crazy.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I’ve worked with a few Palace fans over the years and always found them to be good people. Good natured chat about football with plenty of taking the piss when results didn’t go the right way.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I’ve worked with a few Palace fans over the years and always found them to be good people. Good natured chat about football with plenty of taking the piss when results didn’t go the right way.
Forget all this ‘M23 derby’ crap - it’s the friendly derby from now on! 🥰

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
One of my very best friends is a CPFC STH.
Both of us loved the banter when we were teens (early 90s), but it’s not even a thing now. The abuse outside of the actual matches we find all a bit dull (Palarse / Smellhurst etc)

Match day though, bring it on, and it’s still the one I look forward to most each season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Which is exactly as it should be. I have to confess that Palace are no longer top of my disliked clubs.

I do hate losing to them more than any other club though,

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Which is exactly as it should be. I have to confess that Palace are no longer top of my disliked clubs.

I do hate losing to them more than any other club though,
This.

It was hate hate hate because that was the terrace law as a kid, until REMF. That itself was after a long period of never playing them and frankly the rival was irrelevant compared to 'other stuff'

In recent years the on pitch rivalvry has rekindled quite nicely, but, as a mere old fart fan, and given modern corporate soccer, there are plenty of things I dislike more.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
I get on very well with two of my neighbours. Chap dead opposite is a big Palace fan and the other next door to him is a big West Ham fan.

Nuts to think that they both see little old Brighton as a force in English football now and impressed ( and envious) with our current status.

The w*nkers :lolol:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I've always found you're going to have a much better football chat with a Palace fan than you would any of the 'Big 6' clowns.
Although I had a long chat with a chap whom I've known through work for 20 years today - and I mentioned the Leeds game coming up - which turned the conversation to football. Turns out he's had an Anfield season ticket for 43 years - went to Istanbul and so on. Couldn't meet a nicer and more footie-knowledgeable chap.

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
I co-coach an U16s team with a Palace fan. We constantly wind each other up when our side wins and/or theirs lose, but he's actually very honest about both teams and their relative merits / shiteness.

Wanker. 😎

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Rather speak to a Palace fan any day of the week than "fans" of the "big 6".

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

I had an almost identical conversation with my 2 Palace supporting mates. But in the interest of maintaining our friendship we will probably try to avoid each other for a few days after next Wednesdays match.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I’ve never personally met an unpleasant Palace fan- in fact they tend to be the soundest guys you could meet: humble, friendly, and very reasonable.

Definitive proof that nobody is perfect :lolol:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I know 3 Palace fans and they're all w**nkers! Only joking, we all just use as much time as possible (on the few occasions we see each other) to take the piss out of each other. It is just a friendly rivalry to us. I wasn't impressed the other week when my Jnr referred to their supporters as Palace 'Scum' (he wasn't referring to my friends as he has no idea I'd associate with Palace supporters! :lolol:) I don't want that kind of hostility to go down to the new generation. People shouldn't have to be worried about taking Jnr's to a Palace match but even I have inadvertently made going to a Palace match a 'coming of age' thing for my Jnr! :facepalm:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Living near Croydon, seems to be a mutual respect for each other. My local pub is full of Palace fans and the banter is normally good. The occasion one or two go a bit over the top, I think they are bored of me writing "Mind The Gap" on the chalk board, well make the most of it, been far too many years we've been in there shadow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here