[Misc] COVIDIOTS hot spots

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Is there any point in further restrictions, given the sizeable minority who will simply ignore?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55626932
Unless the government declared martial law and imposes a curfew, how could further restrictions have any real affect? You just have to tell a quick lie about being an essential worker, exercising, doing an errand for someone vulnerable etc and be on your way. The selfish and the stupid will carry on as before.

The restrictions need to be tightened immediately, sure there will be some non complaince but some have compared to the speed limit where you know many will ignore the limit. Well if the limit was set at 40mph instead of 70mph on motorways sure there would be more non complaince but that would be people travelling at say 50mph and not at 80mph. Lets tighten the restrictions, close the loopholes and some of the unnecessary social bubbles and increase surveillance and penalties on non compliance.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Well worth 5 minutes.

[tweet]1348771251758784517[/tweet]

I was just coming on here to post the same thing. If you read one Twitter thread today it is this. In particular (but slightly taken out of context as you need to read it all)

[TWEET]1348771268460310529[/TWEET]

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The restrictions need to be tightened immediately, sure there will be some non complaince but some have compared to the speed limit where you know many will ignore the limit. Well if the limit was set at 40mph instead of 70mph on motorways sure there would be more non complaince but that would be people travelling at say 50mph and not at 80mph. Lets tighten the restrictions, close the loopholes and some of the unnecessary social bubbles and increase surveillance and penalties on non compliance.

I don't think we need to tighten as the curve appears to be going in the right direction, even though the effects of the lockdown won't be apparent yet.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Email from Saino’s boss.

I have spent a lot of time in our stores over the past few days and I need to ask for your help with two key issues to keep you and all my colleagues safe.
When shopping in our stores, you must wear a mask or visor unless you have a medical exemption. And you should also shop on your own. Thank you for your support.
Security guards will support our colleagues at the front of store and will challenge customers who are not wearing masks or who are shopping in groups. I know you’ll understand and support what we are trying to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Just had an email from the school stating in bold that unless you are a critical worker with no alternative childcare to keep your children home. Clearly at a point where they are needing to address the numbers

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I don't think we need to tighten as the curve appears to be going in the right direction, even though the effects of the lockdown won't be apparent yet.

Is it going there fast enough though?? All I've seen so far is a slowdown in the growth but it's still growing, we need measures that get the R significantly below 1.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Email from Saino’s boss.

I have spent a lot of time in our stores over the past few days and I need to ask for your help with two key issues to keep you and all my colleagues safe.
When shopping in our stores, you must wear a mask or visor unless you have a medical exemption. And you should also shop on your own. Thank you for your support.
Security guards will support our colleagues at the front of store and will challenge customers who are not wearing masks or who are shopping in groups. I know you’ll understand and support what we are trying to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The government should be enforcing that any medium to large sized supermarket has to have a security guard on the door to ensure compliance with one adult alone shopping and mask wearing and one covid marshal inside the store ensuring strict social distancing measures are enforced. If they can't do this they should be closed.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
My takeaways -

Please read the Muge Cevik Twitter thread, if you want to get a balanced view on this subject.
Joggers, dog walkers idiots walking about talking on their mobile. None are a massive risk (see 20 times more likely to be infected indoors and prolonged exposure), ALL could do with showing a bit of common courtesy and consideration. There are plenty of quiet and isolated places to run. If your call is important stand f'ing still out of everyone else's way. Dog walkers tsk!
Please everyone will you stop punching down. There are too many people still facing no work no income. The government have to make it easier for these people to self-isolate, especially if they then live in crowded accomodation. Not everyone has a work from home option.
Looking back at December I see crowded shopping centres and people jam packed on escalators, followed by family Christmases. I think there was too much crowing over the coming vaccines, which is probably an easy thing to say with hindsight, but an awful lot of people let their guard down, which hasn't helped.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The government should be enforcing that any medium to large sized supermarket has to have a security guard on the door to ensure compliance with one adult alone shopping and mask wearing and one covid marshal inside the store ensuring strict social distancing measures are enforced. If they can't do this they should be closed.

The problem is there are broadly two groups of people who won't wear masks...

1. Those who have a genuine exemption, and would likely have proof of that, and be polite and courteous.
2. Anti-mask wankers, who are spoiling for a fight. The "Don't have to wear one - got an exemption ain't I?" crowd. By way of coincidence, many of these are the aggressive sorts that, frankly, a minimum wage security guard, who is secure in name only, would not want to be challenging and mixing with. And I don't blame them.

Inside stores, one-way systems should be in place - they were removed far too readily from the two stores I use.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

1. Those who have a genuine exemption, and would likely have proof of that, and be polite and courteous.
2. Anti-mask wankers, who are spoiling for a fight. The "Don't have to wear one - got an exemption ain't I?" crowd. By way of coincidence, many of these are the aggressive sorts that, frankly, a minimum wage security guard, who is secure in name only, would not want to be challenging and mixing with. And I don't blame them.

Inside stores, one-way systems should be in place - they were removed far too readily from the two stores I use.

OK, I'll bite - as someone who falls into point 1 - how do I prove this given the government just say "download the form off .gov.co" - something anyone can do and my doctor has said they don't issue exemption certificates ( and haven't been authorised to do so ) ?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
OK, I'll bite - as someone who falls into point 1 - how do I prove this given the government just say "download the form off .gov.co" - something anyone can do and my doctor has said they don't issue exemption certificates ( and haven't been authorised to do so ) ?

Could you wear a visor instead?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

And based on my wife's experience the vast majority fall into category 2, and are a risk to her, and us as a family as they tend to scream in her face.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Do you not have anyone else in your household or friends and family who can wear a mask who can do your shopping on your behalf, the risk goes two ways with mask wearing, and for those with medical exemptions I'd wager a high proportion of these are at higher risk of serious illness with covid and given the massive prevalence in the whole UK currently we shouldn't be shopping unless it is absolutely essential.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

....those in [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ‘s second group won’t bother to do it, so the distinction is clear.

My son’s GF is exempt but in places like supermarkets she’s still wearing one anyway - partly for protection or herself and others and partly to avoid the hassle/glares for not wearing one.

Supermarkets should ideally be able to flatly refuse entry (backed up by police if necessary) to non-wearers without exemptions, but understand the problems with trying to enforce this and the ensuing aggro that a few selfish arrogant morons will cause.

We’ve got a few ‘speed awareness’ police groups set up around Burgess Hill this morning checking traffic. I’d rather they put a copper on the door of each of the major supermarkets at this point in time.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I wasn't looking to provoke anyone.

I would imagine you printing the form off, and being polite and courteous in explaining your exemption will immediately set you apart from the problematic and antagonistic knobs.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
And based on my wife's experience the vast majority fall into category 2, and are a risk to her, and us as a family as they tend to scream in her face.

Very much this. I had it early on and asked someone to put their mask on when trying to reach round me for something off a shelf and I got the dogs abuse.

Also in respect to security on doors at supermarkets all well and good but there's a large number that hoist them down once in the store. It's a no win for me ... a few cops dishing out on the spot fines might act as a deterrent but more likely to inflame and bring out the harassment/brutality brigade

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Do you not have anyone else in your household or friends and family who can wear a mask who can do your shopping on your behalf, the risk goes two ways with mask wearing, and for those with medical exemptions I'd wager a high proportion of these are at higher risk of serious illness with covid and given the massive prevalence in the whole UK currently we shouldn't be shopping unless it is absolutely essential.

You're mixing up those that are vulnerable ( i.e. those likely to catch the virus and die ) and those that are in the exempt categories for wearing a mask. The later doesn't mean you're vulnerable.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I wasn't looking to provoke anyone.

I would imagine you printing the form off, and being polite and courteous in explaining your exemption will immediately set you apart from the problematic and antagonistic knobs.

Agreed .... I wear a lanyard ... and while wearing it I've not been challenged ( in fact thanked by some shop assistants ). My problem is the mask shaming that still continues ..... it's like branding every football support a hooligan - and I'm sure we've all experienced that at some point - you know, lets just heard them all to the station, regardless of if they need a train or not. #benice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports