Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Court of Appeal rejects High Street Banks' Overdraft Charges Case

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
so people who have been charged will be entitled to get claim their money back. as said before this is now the end of free banking and in future interest rates will be determined on risk scores and not one interest rate for all.

so people who have been charged will be entitled to get claim their money back. as said before this is now the end of free banking and in future interest rates will be determined on risk scores and not one interest rate for all.

No, that will depend on the outcome of the OFT investigation.

The Banks have argued that the Office of Fair Trading had no right to undertake an investigation into whether their overdraft charges are fair, reasonable and reflect the actual costs involved. This contention has been rejected by the Court of Appeal.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
This is good news. For now. The banks are c u n t s and should pay back the money they've stolen from us over the years. Might compensate, albeit only slightly, for the shit f***ing interest rates they're passing onto savers at the moment. And considering interest rates are approaching zero per cent, mortgage rates are ridiculous unless you've got 20% + deposit. Utter tossers, all of them.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is good news. For now. The banks are c u n t s and should pay back the money they've stolen from us over the years. Might compensate, albeit only slightly, for the shit f***ing interest rates they're passing onto savers at the moment. And considering interest rates are approaching zero per cent, mortgage rates are ridiculous unless you've got 20% + deposit. Utter tossers, all of them.

Surely the charges applied are only to those in debt as I managed to pay 50p banking charges kast year.

In other words had you stayed out of debt then you would not pay charges ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Surely the charges applied are only to those in debt as I managed to pay 50p banking charges kast year.

No one should have to pay illegal fines ( charges ). It is up to Parliament to set our laws, not the banks to make them up.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Depends on the number and type of transactions going through the account, whether you use the branch network to any significant degree or write a lot of cheques; my company doesn't currently pay any bank charges with HSBC.

Mine neither but certainly most shops have to pay charges. My point is the loss of free banking isn't a reason for companies not getting back charges back.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough

but the banks allowed the money to go out and then charged you for it. Surely easier for them to just not let funds not in accounts go out. They also charge you if there are no funds to pay for things like direct debits. How can they say you owe them money because something can't be paid?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I managed to get 1500 quid from Nationwide a few years ago. The trick is not to give up, as they will initially send you an offer of a paltry sum as a 'goodwill gesture'. Keep sending them letters asking for the full amount and eventually you should get it. In the end, they said they would repay me the whole amount but would be closing my account. After the huge amounts of money they'd charged me I wasn't too bothered by that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here