Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Court case involving Albion players - the (new) only thread allowed - ALL found NOT GUILTY

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Court case involving Albion players - the (new) only thread allowed

TalkSport (Robyn Schonhofer): Clarification - retrial is not certain. Judge set a deadline of next Friday for the date, if there is to be one, to be fixed.

However, prosecution reported as stating they are demanding a re-trial.

In what case do prosecution this then should be a retrial? Do they think the jury have not considered the evidence properly or just based in that they have taken too long?

Nadger

Sep 4, 2003
Brighton
Retrials: Legal Guidance: The Crown Prosecution Service

Failure of Jury to Agree on a Verdict

There is a presumption that the prosecution will seek a re-trial where a jury fails to agree on a verdict at the first trial.

The following factors should be taken into account when considering a re-trial in these circumstances.

1. The merits of the case

Is there still a realistic prospect of a conviction?
Have any material changes occurred during the course of the first trial?
Are the witnesses willing, and available, to give evidence again?
2. Likely reasons for the jury's failure to reach a verdict

Was the failure to reach a verdict perverse? If so, a retrial is likely to be appropriate.

Is there a suggestion that the jury was influenced by factors other than the evidence?
This might bear investigation for an offence of jury interference (see Retrial following a tainted acquittal below).
3. The public interest in seeking a verdict. Consider the following factors:

the seriousness of the offence;
the length of time since the offence was committed;
the likely delay until the case can be re-tried;
whether the defendant is in custody;
the likely sentence if the defendant is ultimately convicted; and
the consequences of proceeding or not (for example, any effect on linked or co-defendants).
4. The interests and views of the victim(s) .

5. Any views expressed by the trial judge.6. Prosecuting Advocate's opinion.7. The views of the police.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
CPS guidance on a retrial:

Failure of Jury to Agree on a Verdict

There is a presumption that the prosecution will seek a re-trial where a jury fails to agree on a verdict at the first trial.

The following factors should be taken into account when considering a re-trial in these circumstances.

1. The merits of the case

Is there still a realistic prospect of a conviction?
Have any material changes occurred during the course of the first trial?
Are the witnesses willing, and available, to give evidence again?

2. Likely reasons for the jury's failure to reach a verdict

Was the failure to reach a verdict perverse? If so, a retrial is likely to be appropriate.

Is there a suggestion that the jury was influenced by factors other than the evidence?
This might bear investigation for an offence of jury interference (see Retrial following a tainted acquittal below).

3. The public interest in seeking a verdict. Consider the following factors:

the seriousness of the offence;
the length of time since the offence was committed;
the likely delay until the case can be re-tried;
whether the defendant is in custody;
the likely sentence if the defendant is ultimately convicted; and
the consequences of proceeding or not (for example, any effect on linked or co-defendants).

4. The interests and views of the victim(s) .
5. Any views expressed by the trial judge.
6. Prosecuting Advocate's opinion.
7. The views of the police.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The only thing that will be different is the jury - this does appear to be that any verdict reached (if at all)to some degree is based on chance. ?

That was my thought initially, but there are certain to be differences. Neither side got the result they wanted and they'd analyse why.

If they asked a question this time round and didn't get the answer they wanted, they'll not ask the same question next time as they'll get the same answer.

It must be like a bizarre game of chess where you know almost exactly what moves your opponent will play.

Does the prosecution press for a re-trial and the decision for a re-trial is then made by the CPS ?

Prosecution.
If the the re-trial sees the Jury fail to come to a decision then, and if I remember correctly, the Judge will ask the Defence if they would like another re-trial.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
A re-trial is not automatic is it? Don't the CPS have to decide whether to go ahead or not?

Yes they do, and Im sure they will look at the fact that many. many. many hours were spent deliberating and they could only agree on one charge and that by all accounts was by a majority. Will there be a realistic chance of a new jury passing a verdict ?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I Scotland we have a 'not proven' verdict which I presume would have been applied here. Very unsatisfactory outcome here, especially because it near enough rules Dunc out for the rest of the season.

TNBA

TTF

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
TalkSport (Robyn Schonhofer): Clarification - retrial is not certain. Judge set a deadline of next Friday for the date, if there is to be one, to be fixed.

However, prosecution reported as stating they are demanding a re-trial.

On what basis does the prosecution have the right to "demand" a re trial?
I can understand them wanting, or even wishing a re trail.
But how can they demand one?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I don't really get this. Whats the point of a jury trial if you don't like the result you get another go? Is this essentially the same as an appeal against the (failure to get a) verdict?

I think of it as a cup match - there has to be a winner but this time it is a draw so there will be a replay. Admittedly that analogy falls apart when you get into what happens if the second trial ends the same way or the CPS decides not to go ahead with it

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Court case involving Albion players - the (new) only thread allowed

I think of it as a cup match - there has to be a winner but this time it is a draw so there will be a replay. Admittedly that analogy falls apart when you get into what happens if the second trial ends the same way or the CPS decides not to go ahead with it

Penalties?

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Am I right in thinking that the jury has found that

Dunk did not gain any sexual satisfaction from witnessing a sexual act,

But

No decision has been made as to whether he actually participated in a sexual assault.

As for the rest, no decision on anything!

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013

Toss a coin?

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
So the requirements for a re-trial are whether a majority verdict is likely to be achieved next time around (in a sense)?

If so, does the fact that the prosecution have demanded a re-trial mean that they believe the jury was nearing a majority in favour of them for the other 7 charges?

I've tried to be as careful as possible in that post. The second line is an actual question rather than a guess/assumption.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here