Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Couple held after burglars shot

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's a sad fact, as witnessed by the case of this family being attacked in France, that if a DETERMINED burglar believes that you are going to resist during the robbery, that they will use force to incapacitate you, or any unfortunate passer by, to the extent that they WILL kill you in order to make sure that there are no witnesses who can lead to their capture.

Most burglars will run the second they think they've been spotted, as the majority tend to be opportunists who just want an easy route to scoring twenty quid for their next fix.

My parents were burgled a few years ago: my Mum actually came home for lunch while they were in the house. They didn't attempt to take her on, they hid in cupboards while she was in, then sneaked out once she'd left again. She didn't have a clue, it was only afterwards that the police worked out what had happened.

Shotgun wielding, balaclava wearing, organised crime types are pretty rare, thankfully.

Oh, and- unless I've missed something dramatic on the news, what has this family in France who were killed got to do with burglars?

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Well it is and it isn't. Any criminal who plans to commit theft on this farm now knows that they will have to go armed with a gun, and be prepared to use it. So in a sense while this couple have not been charged and have defended their property, they have 'sent a message', that if you come to mess with us, then you'd better come with the means to kill us.

So all it does is 'up the anti' - I arm myself with a weapon to defend myself, so the criminal has to come along ensuring that they have sufficient firepower to neutralise my weapon. Or they have to employ a technique (eg. holding a hostage, using an asphyxiant, or starting a fire where the weapon is stored) that means I am prevented from using that weapon.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Most burglars will run the second they think they've been spotted, as the majority tend to be opportunists who just want an easy route to scoring twenty quid for their next fix.

My parents were burgled a few years ago: my Mum actually came home for lunch while they were in the house. They didn't attempt to take her on, they hid in cupboards while she was in, then sneaked out once she'd left again. She didn't have a clue, it was only afterwards that the police worked out what had happened.

Shotgun wielding, balaclava wearing, organised crime types are pretty rare, thankfully.

Oh, and- unless I've missed something dramatic on the news, what has this family in France who were killed got to do with burglars?

I don't believe it has got anything to do with burglars - I'll be gobsmacked if this isn't some kind of 'contract' killing. But there are burglars who go out armed with knives, knuckledusters, dangerous incapacitating chemicals, or even simply a rope and if guns were more readily available, they'd use them. Yes they'd be the kind of burglar who indulges in the taking of high value items ( e.g. oil paintings from stately homes or museums, or cash from business premises ) but such crimes do take place, and such weapons are used to incapacitate victims. In the face of being threatened with having acid thrown at you if you resist your property being taken, I'd argue that your best interests are in saving your eyesight, rather than saving your property.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here