Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Countries you would never wish to visit?

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Blimey Bozza, I am torn between giving you a thumbs up for your dislike of fake bling (and human rights violations) yet refraining because I felt that personal anxiety you espoused within the post. Hope it all worked/works out.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The UAE although being more specific, Dubai.

The backstory, built around what is essentially modern day slave labour, is quite unpleasant. The general opulence and chintzy bling is really not for me either. Right now, I can't see why I would ever visit the place.

Good decision. If you want to visit a place which is basically a concrete and glass city located in a desert, then go to Vegas and have a lot more fun. If you want somewhere hot and humid with a beach, then go to Miami ... again, a lot more fun.

There is absolutely no good reason to ever visit Dubai. And as an aside, why spend your money in a country run by such an oppressive regime?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Would never want to go back to Ireland again, nasty dirty place and nasty dirty people.
Thanks for that. A lot of my relatives are from the emerald isle. County Kerry has great scenery and the local people are quite friendly despite my grandad giving me lectures about Cromwell in Ireland whenever I visit.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Scotland is not a country, then what exactly is it?
A nation. Just like England.

Okay. As per the Oxford Dictionary:

Country: a nation with its own government, occupying a particular territory.
Their government doesn't have full control of Scotland, the UK government does.

And if you look on this Government glossary under Country you'll see Scotland is a country.
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....phy/beginner-s-guide/glossary/glossary-c.html
I can't see that, it just says "In the context of the UK, each of the four main subdivisions (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) is referred to as a country." Being referred to as a country, to please the population, is not the same as being a country.

Our government has to say that each nation is a separate country, because they'd lose votes if the didn't. But there are several things a country needs to have, that the UK has, but the nations within don't. A country should:
be recognised by existing states as a country
be able to enter into relations with other sovereign states (Scotland can't enter trade negotiations etc with other states, it's done via the UK)
have control of its borders - the UK has the power to close its borders (Scotland cannot close its borders to the rest of the UK)
have it's own currency (that is a traditional guide, and ignores that many countries in Europe have agreed to share a currency, but all those countries could leave the EU and Euro if they wanted to - Scotland can't leave the UK without the UK saying so)
have a government that has ultimate control of the laws (Scotland doesn't, it just controls the laws that the UK government agree to pass over)

If Scotland had voted for independence, then they'd become a country.

OF COURSE Scotland is a country. It's been in a union with England for 300-odd years. If you're arguing Scotland is not a country by virtue of being part of the United Kingdom then the same would surely apply to England.
The same does apply to England. Scotland is in a union that it cannot leave without the UK giving permission.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

I can't see that, it just says "In the context of the UK, each of the four main subdivisions (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) is referred to as a country." Being referred to as a country, to please the population, is not the same as being a country.

Our government has to say that each nation is a separate country, because they'd lose votes if the didn't. But there are several things a country needs to have, that the UK has, but the nations within don't. A country should:
be able to enter into relations with other sovereign states (Scotland can't enter trade negotiations etc with other states, it's done via the UK)
have control of its borders - the UK has the power to close its borders (Scotland cannot close its borders to the rest of the UK)
have it's own currency (that is a traditional guide, and ignores that many countries in Europe have agreed to share a currency, but all those countries could leave the EU and Euro if they wanted to - Scotland can't leave the UK without the UK saying so)
have a government that has ultimate control of the laws (Scotland doesn't, it just controls the laws that the UK government agree to pass over)

The same does apply to England. Scotland is in a union that it cannot leave without the UK giving permission.

Why not just go with Pointless - 'And by country we mean a sovereign state that is a member of the UN in its own right'

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I lived near Kawangware which is the second biggest slum. I have been to Kibera lots of times though including taking several football teams there with REMF money, what a place! Poverty stricken of course but warm, kind people and a proper community, I often got the impression that people were far happier there than the majority of other people I have met.

That is so true about the people. They have next to nothing, yet they don't complain and are all willing to give you what they can. I currently don't work in England, but when I am back, I would be really interested in getting involved with REMF and helping where I can. Would love the oppertunity to go back out there at some point.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
considering he said

and you have said same as London

i wonder,can you see a flaw in your argument ?

He was implying you wouldn't want to do such things because of the terrorist attacks. I wonder if he stopped going to London after July 7th. Not to mention the fact the Uk has been warned that an attack is inevitable. It was a daft comment made even dafter by his soppy eu hashtag.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
The UAE although being more specific, Dubai.

Until about 7 or 8 years ago, I was completely indifferent to the place and may well have visited one day, possibly using it as a stopover when heading somewhere further East.

Then my ex-wife tried to move my daughter to live there, which led to a somewhat bitter and ridiculously expensive legal battle. For that reason alone, I can't think fondly of the place. Beyond that, though, in anticipation of having to visit Dubai regularly over many years in order to stay in touch with my daughter, I started researching the place. The backstory, built around what is essentially modern day slave labour, is quite unpleasant. The general opulence and chintzy bling is really not for me either. Right now, I can't see why I would ever visit the place.

I know many people who have and enjoyed themselves tremendously. Each to their own.

My sister and her family lived there for a few years and due to the work situation (or lack of) may have to return. I visited once for a family Christmas. I found it exactly how you imagined. Really hope they don't have to go back. Hope your situation all ended well.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I've yet to get to the US but would really like to.

Am always amazed by the US has no culture statement. What the f*** do you consider culture? When you think of the film, music (the music!) amongst other things the US has given the world, how the frig can you say it has no culture?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Your description is more that of a nation state, which I agree Scotland isn't. The term country, imho, is a more fluid and open to interpretation. Some view, for example, Peurto Rico as a country, even though it's not fully independent.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why not just go with Pointless - 'And by country we mean a sovereign state that is a member of the UN in its own right'
Because being in the UN isn't a pre-requisite of being a country. For example, Taiwan is a country. They've had their own government, own currency, control of their borders, their own trade deals etc for 60 odd years. The only reason they're not in the UN now is because their seat was given to China and China put pressure on countries like ours (that's the UK) to pretend that Taiwan isn't a country.

Your description is more that of a nation state, which I agree Scotland isn't. The term country, imho, is a more fluid and open to interpretation.
Country is another word for State (not state, like the state of California). Scotland is a nation, as is England, as is Wales.

Some view, for example, Peurto Rico as a country, even though it's not fully independent.
I assume it isn't, but I don't know.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I assume it isn't, but I don't know.

The IOC view it as a country. Anyway, I don't think many people will pick me up if I continue to refer to Scotland as a country. Ditto with you insisting it isn't. Have a nice day.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
If I had to pick one it would probably be Pakistan.

Another person who is CLUELESS. I went to Ethiopia this year, one of the most stunning countries I have been to. You obviously think it is just a country full of skinny, starving kids because you watched children in need in the 80s. Fly infested shithole is incredibly ignorant, when did you go there to come to this conclusion btw?

Never been,never will,as I said,any country where sitting in a tent in Calais whilst waiting to to get to Kent is a better option is not for Me,can't be that good if all the men of working/ fighting age are having it on their toes on a Lilo.

When i lived in Ascot my neighbours were Iranian, most charming people.
But mostly ignored and scowled at by the other white, nouveau riche pillocks that lived in our little cul de sac, which sort of fits in nicely with some of the posts on this thread.

Best foreign student we had staying was a great lad from Iran most sociable polite young man you could meet,we were quite gutted when he left.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Okay. As per the Oxford Dictionary:

Country: a nation with its own government, occupying a particular territory.

1) it's a nation (Oxford definition: large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular state or territory.).
2) It has its own government (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Government)
3) They occupy a particular territory.

And if you look on this Government glossary under Country you'll see Scotland is a country.
http://webarchive.nationalarchives....phy/beginner-s-guide/glossary/glossary-c.html

So under Prescott's proposed regional assemblies, the Geordies and the Mancs would also have become countries?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The IOC view it as a country.
What has the Olympics got to do with it? They don't include Scotland as a country, but that's not part of my argument.

Anyway, I don't think many people will pick me up if I continue to refer to Scotland as a country.
Indeed, you carry on getting wrong as most people either won't notice or won't care enough to tell you. Cool philosophy.
Have a nice day.
Cheers buddy, you too :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here