Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could UKIP win the General Election ?

Camicus

They haven't but putting that aside, why do I support UKIP - simple answer, to get out of the EU. After that is achieved I'll switch my support.
I'm genuinely interested here. What about all the other fruit loop policy and even if you get your referenda polling suggests it would be a win for the in side. What then?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm genuinely interested here. What about all the other fruit loop policy and even if you get your referenda polling suggests it would be a win for the in side. What then?

There are no 'fruit loop' policies - you shouldn't believe what you read in the press. I want a proper in/out referendum without catches. Even if UKIP do have other fruit loop polices ( which they don't but lets assume they do ) I consider membership of the EU one of the biggest restrictions and corruptions of our democracy so I'm prepared to overlook them.

I'll predict the next question - why don't you just vote Tory who have promised a referendum ?

Well, party by party :

Tory - the referendum comes with catches, i.e. re-negotiation and re-election.
Labour - Lisbon Treaty lie.
Lib Dem - yes OK !!!!!
Green - I'll give them credit for supporting a referendum but given their performance in our city I would struggle to vote for them.

So that leaves UKIP.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

The latest MORI poll shows the highest support for continued membership of the EU since 1991.

"Some 56% would vote to stay in the European Union, compared with 36% who would vote to get out; eight percent answer that they do not know how they would vote. This translates to 61% support for Britain’s EU membership and 39% opposing after excluding ‘don’t knows’. This is the highest support since December 1991, when 60% said they would vote to stay in the European Community and 29% wanted to get out."

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/research...23-years-even-as-UKIP-rises-in-the-polls.aspx

If/when we do get a vote in a referendum and the results end in a victory for those wanting to stay in then, as you say, "what then" - how can UKIP as a party have a future? ???

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The latest MORI poll shows the highest support for continued membership of the EU since 1991.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/research...23-years-even-as-UKIP-rises-in-the-polls.aspx

If/when we do get a vote in a referendum and the results end in a victory for those wanting to stay in then, as you say, "what then" - how can UKIP as a party have a future? ???

For years polls indicated that a Scottish Independence vote would be a landslide no - it was very close in the end and was only won due to a government bribe.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
For years polls indicated that a Scottish Independence vote would be a landslide no - it was very close in the end and was only won due to a government bribe.

The thing is that the MORI poll suggests that UKIP really are missing a trick - like the SNP they are going for an all or nothing choice rather than campaigning for what the poll suggests the vast majority, including UKIP supporters, really want - strong trading links without political links . Just 17% want total withdrawal from the EU so by offering just an in or out choice many Eurosceptics will vote 'in'.

Whether you believe the poll or not the question still remains, what would be the future of UKIP if one of their two main policies were ruled out by the British public in a referendum?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm genuinely interested here. What about all the other fruit loop policy

i presume when you are referring to UKIP fruit loop policy you are referring to the policies that nibble outlined in his thread(that he read on facebook)

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?301203-Some-hard-truths-for-the-UKIP-supporter

Scrapping paid maternity leave
Raising income tax for the poorest 88% of Britons
Scrapping your holiday entitlement
Fast tracking privatisation of the NHS
Cancelling all planned house building
Abandoning all action on climate change
Cancelling bank regulations
Abolishing the laws that protect your human rights
Making it legal for a man to rape or assault his wife
Cutting education spending
Buying 3 aircraft carriers

or are you referring to some other fruit loop policies

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I would ask again what ukip policy your in favour of but hey then you might actually answer

I can answer that......I want out of the EU

I want this country to be run and governed solely by the people this country elected to represent it at its heart in westminster.

Thats it,pure and simple........the name is really on the tin....UKIP.....UK Independence Party........I am not sure how more fracking obvious that can be.

The pro Eu will no doubt in the coming months try to push the debate on to a simple immigration issue or say UKIP are anti Muslim or imigrants,they will avoid the debate about the EU at all costs.

Let me know how this pans out.As for their other policies.....who really gives a frack

Apart from immigration which is intertwined with the EU im surprised the anti brigade are wasting their time on this......but what about UKIP policy on abolishing laws that protect human rights they shout.

Frack of and grow up,stop spinning ridiculous bullshit......you look like a cock!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

10% difference is not very close and I doubt that the 'bribe' made that much difference.

D

Deleted member 22389

They where just speaking to a nurse who works in London on the issue of health tourism. Once again she had to start the conversation by saying she is not racist. Isn't it pathetic that the debate has ended up this way, because of silly people hijacking common sense issues and calling the racist card on them, just because the person happens to be coming from another country.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The thing is that the MORI poll suggests that UKIP really are missing a trick - like the SNP they are going for an all or nothing choice rather than campaigning for what the poll suggests the vast majority, including UKIP supporters, really want - strong trading links without political links . Just 17% want total withdrawal from the EU so by offering just an in or out choice many Eurosceptics will vote 'in'.

Whether you believe the poll or not the question still remains, what would be the future of UKIP if one of their two main policies were ruled out by the British public in a referendum?

It is a fascinating question, as they do campaign largely on the EU, or at least that is the perception. They are criticised for having few policies, but then that observation is traditionally levelled at opposition parties, who tend to play their cards very close to their chest prior to elections. it is easier to criticise the government of the day rather than offer alternatives. Personally, I tend to distrust plebiscites, not, of course, that there is anything wrong with giving voters direct democracy - Mustafa, are you impressed?! The crucial element is the actual question. Presumably those who say "no" will be happy with yes or no, but is it really that simple? It is, if you don't like the EU, but I could see that there could be many economic advantages of ease of trade ( I do not pretend to be an expert in any way) plus ease of travel. On a very basic note, when I was working in Germany, driving home involved 4 sets of passport showing, with four sets of currencies on you for emergencies. Probably what gets up most folks' noses, to put it bluntly, is the apparent ease whereby unelected commissioners can over-ride our parliament, even allowing for undoubted press exaggeration. For me, a simple yes or no would be too simplistic.
And, after yesterday's news, I haven't even mentioned immigration . . .

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Fair point, however the popularity of the SNP has surged on the back of their failure, why wouldn't the dynamic be the same? The trick from there is that politicians who advocate the status quo should be careful what they promise, and whilst I don't think the UK's demographic now-a-days makes withdrawal unlikely, a debate on withdrawal would provide a tangible sense on the benefits............if the benefits don't materialise or appear to have been deceit the public mood could change quickly.

As for polls, this recent one indicated 85% want immigration controls and 25% support a limited repatriation policy.

http://www.britishfuture.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/How-To-Talk-About-Immigration-FINAL.pdf

Only 7% support open borders which is what we have with the EU.

Every double murdering Lithuanian and child murdering Latvian is a recruiting sergeant for the imposition of border controls, not less, and certainly not none.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Daveinprague
celebrating finding another UKIP twitter feed

nazi.jpg

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Says a stupid **** who claims to be against all religion...but ridicules one.
Amazingly, im the only person on earth who considers the racist elements of this party of berks. How ive managed to convince millions of people in the UK, and many on NSC, that the party contains an unusual amount of racists, is something that I guess that im going to have to pat myself on the back for. Im guessing the picture is from your private collection. Id recommend you kept it to yourself.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here