Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could there be other terrorists working for London Underground ?

D

Deleted member 2719

Yes - this is the part, I'd like a link to, please. Who are 'they', and were did they get the (deeply troubling) 24,000 figure from?

Apologies i thought on the telly they said 24,000 it according to all these links is 23,000.

so actually 1 in every 130 Muslims is a Jahadi.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/81...3-000-jihadis-in-UK-security-powers-used-less

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...iana-grande-ISIS-jihadi-United-Kingdom-23-000

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...evealed-uk-home-to-23-000-jihadists-3zvn58mhq

I'm surprised that no-one has picked up on the threat from self-employed taxi drivers.

Or maybe it's simply the case that some people imagine that protecting the public from terrorism is a piss-easy job that can be done by anyone with a tick box form to fill in?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

None of those links say 23,000 'jihadis' though. They say 23,000 persons of interest, which those papers have termed 'potential jihadis', That in itself is terribly worrying, but you ought not to present it as something it is patently not.

So, the figure the security services are using (and if we are going to trust anyone, it has to be them, for better or worse) is still 3,000 - itself a ridiculously frightening figure.

The most outrageous figure in those reports, if accurate, is that 400 people have returned here after fighting for terror groups overseas. That is simply astonishing that we've allowed that to happen.

D

Deleted member 2719

I'm surprised that no-one has picked up on the threat from self-employed taxi drivers.

Or maybe it's simply the case that some people imagine that protecting the public from terrorism is a piss-easy job that can be done by anyone with a tick box form to fill in?

Of course its a tough job, but its not made any easy by the human right campaigners and ban the bomb kids that don't understand sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

The terrorist is far to protected because of ridiculous PC laws in our country, it's been coming for a long time, reversing it is going to be tough, but we have to do something.

Its not the lack of police it's the laws they have to follow.

D

Deleted member 2719

None of those links say 23,000 'jihadis' though. They say 23,000 persons of interest, which those papers have termed 'potential jihadis', That in itself is terribly worrying, but you ought not to present it as something it is patently not.

So, the figure the security services are using (and if we are going to trust anyone, it has to be them, for better or worse) is still 3,000 - itself a ridiculously frightening figure.

The most outrageous figure in those reports, if accurate, is that 400 people have returned here after fighting for terror groups overseas. That is simply astonishing that we've allowed that to happen.

It is 23,000 it was said on GMB a few days ago by someone who knows, off the top of my head i can not remember, but trust me it was someone who knows.

A person of interest isn't necessarily someone suspected of being a jihadist.

I was a person of interest once. At least I was sufficiently interesting for Special Branch to turn up at my local pub and ask the landlord about people I associated with. This was all because my job as a transport planner meant that I would have a role in the Civil Defence organisation that was intended to protect the country from nuclear attack.

Some months later, I was told by a very senior Army officer that they had checked me out and I had been cleared.

I suspect that the reason I was considered interesting was twofold. Firstly, I was an active trade unionist. Secondly, I used to perform with a band, two of whose members had previously been members of the Communist Party.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It is 23,000 it was said on GMB a few days ago by someone who knows, off the top of my head i can not remember, but trust me it was someone who knows.

No, it wasn't. It was 'said on telly' by someone quoting the same figures those newspaper reports are - that the security services have (over an unspecified period of time) cast an eye over 23,000 people - as you'd expect - that's their job.

Of those, they (the security services) consider 3,000 to be 'a threat'. Now they may be wrong - some of those may be wrongly identified, and a load of others will surely remain undetected - but those ARE the figures 'we' (the country) have.

Anything else is ill-informed scare-mongering, designed to a. score political points, b.incite fear or c. sell newspapers

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

But you have to allow them to return otherwise they would become stateless and that would not be acceptable :-

[yt]WkFPIdQt648[/YT]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But you have to allow them to return otherwise they would become stateless and that would not be acceptable :-

[yt]WkFPIdQt648[/YT]

Have you actually watched the video you posted? Because in the one there, Thornberry says we should prosecute them for treason.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Er ...George Blake in 1966, Marcus Sargent in 1974, Michael Bettaney in 1984 ....

Stand correct on Sargent but weren't the others convicted using the official secrets act .

Thornbury would know that successful prosecutions for treason just aren't going to happen to our jihadi returnees .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Stand correct on Sargent but weren't the others convicted using the official secrets act .

I stand corrected: I thought they were charged with treason - Blake got 42 years, which is why I thought he'd been so charged, but he got four sentences served consecutively rather than concurrently

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
A person of interest isn't necessarily someone suspected of being a jihadist.

I was a person of interest once. At least I was sufficiently interesting for Special Branch to turn up at my local pub and ask the landlord about people I associated with. This was all because my job as a transport planner meant that I would have a role in the Civil Defence organisation that was intended to protect the country from nuclear attack.

Some months later, I was told by a very senior Army officer that they had checked me out and I had been cleared.

I suspect that the reason I was considered interesting was twofold. Firstly, I was an active trade unionist. Secondly, I used to perform with a band, two of whose members had previously been members of the Communist Party.

I think it's because you have a beard Lord B.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I remember being asked to speak by airport security every time I flew to Belfast, so they could check out my accent.

Despite being a domestic flight, the gate was always kept separate from the others.

Until terminal changes in Heathrow maybe 5 years ago or less, all Aer Lingus, BA and BMI flights to Dublin/Belfast/Cork/Shannon were in a satellite pier (the walk later got nicknamed the Green Mile) on the basis that if it was blown up it only affected that bit of the airport. It never got blown up.

D

Deleted member 2719

No, it wasn't. It was 'said on telly' by someone quoting the same figures those newspaper reports are - that the security services have (over an unspecified period of time) cast an eye over 23,000 people - as you'd expect - that's their job.

Of those, they (the security services) consider 3,000 to be 'a threat'. Now they may be wrong - some of those may be wrongly identified, and a load of others will surely remain undetected - but those ARE the figures 'we' (the country) have.

Anything else is ill-informed scare-mongering, designed to a. score political points, b.incite fear or c. sell newspapers

Wake up and smell the coffee, your living in your own bubble.

They are out there and they are coming for innocent people and you better open your eyes up because Corbyn and his pathetic pacifist views ain't going to protect or help anybody.

Corbyn will put this country on it's knees if people give him Abbott and Thornberry a chance on Thursday.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
There are cells everywhere, in all walks of life. This has been the game plan to infiltrate our society and to spread across the country, to all points of the compass. I actually believe that, in the near future, there will be a general call to action in a number of towns and cities, at the same time, designed to cause maximum disruption to our way of life.
It is not beyond the realms of possibility that we have 8-10 terrorist attacks at the same time in key locations. It could be Election Day. It could be during a State Visit or it could just be a normal working day, during rush hour. The more desperate these people become, the more likely it is that they will attempt to send out one massive defiant message. The plans will be in place. Lets hope that the intelligence services are a step ahead.

Agreed .

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Wake up and smell the coffee, your living in your own bubble.

They are out there and they are coming for innocent people and you better open your eyes up because Corbyn and his pathetic pacifist views ain't going to protect or help anybody.

Corbyn will put this country on it's knees if people give him Abbott and Thornberry a chance on Thursday.

Ah, your argument (such as it had any semblance of coherence) has been blown to pieces, so you resort to 'wake up and smell the coffee' - they're there because you said so, and then resort to talking meaningless twaddle about Corbyn. Outstanding rhetoric.

Meanwhile, assuming that there are 3,000 'jihadists' in the UK out of total population of 3m, that's one in 1,000. By the time you whittle it down to just adult men, that's closer to, say, 1 in 450. But it appears you're happy to tar the other 449 with the same badger's brush. Even more outstanding rhetoric.

I'm not sure you've actually though any of this through.

I mean, I mean, what about... Bruno? Big beard, played for a football team of a former Muslim city. :ohmy:

Seriously, you were more coherent when you were talking about free football shirts for seven year-olds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here