Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could The Club Run It's Own Train Service?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
1da362c297593dc162d95df2efb39287.jpg
Corbyn train

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
In the winter a slow journey and pissed when you get there and the summer is a more slippery fun journey...

Attachments

• IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 332

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Will the guest pie be Choorzo ?

........... the Albion decided to buy a couple of second hand trains to shuttle between Lewes and Brighton on match days, we wouldn't be the first football club to buy and run our own train.................

..and who would that have been then???? With regard to "Open Access" I suggest that the best way forward would be to rent some of the Bluebell Railway's coaches and motive power which be used for shuttle purposes, thus avoiding the need to invest in newer rolling stock that would otherwise lay idle for much of the time?

...Removes tongue from cheek.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
..and who would that have been then???? With regard to "Open Access" I suggest that the best way forward would be to rent some of the Bluebell Railway's coaches and motive power which be used for shuttle purposes, thus avoiding the need to invest in newer rolling stock that would otherwise lay idle for much of the time?

...Removes tongue from cheek.
Tongue in cheek ? .......or silly answer?

The answer to your first question is Coventry City in the 1960s.

The Bluebell stock (mostly) is not up to mainline safety standards, so no more practical than extending Volk's Railway. TOC's are continuously replacing trains with more modern, smother, faster ones. The units they replace would be available second hand, and adequate to trundle between Lewes and Brighton on match days. After all, you wouldn't be expecting Pullman luxury and a sat for everyone on such a service, would you..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tongue in cheek ? .......or silly answer?

The answer to your first question is Coventry City in the 1960s.

The Bluebell stock (mostly) is not up to mainline safety standards, so no more practical than extending Volk's Railway. TOC's are continuously replacing trains with more modern, smother, faster ones. The units they replace would be available second hand, and adequate to trundle between Lewes and Brighton on match days. After all, you wouldn't be expecting Pullman luxury and a sat for everyone on such a service, would you..

Do they need GUARDS ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes. And as that would be nothing to do with Southern Trains that may well not be a problem. They need drivers as well. Next?

Takes over a year to train someone.......thank goodness they don't have to steer, otherwise it'd be a lot longer.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
As the railway isn't being used. Let everyone drive and park on the railway.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Takes over a year to train someone.......thank goodness they don't have to steer, otherwise it'd be a lot longer.
Some Southern Trains drivers and guards would probably quite like to earn a few quid from a second job, not working for Southern Trains, just on match days. After all, it's only Southern Trains that they have a dispute with over overtime - working for a different employer something quite different. There are other drivers than Southern Trains drivers, anyway, who might like a few extra hours. No need to train new ones.

Besides, I know there's a hundred and one possible snags that I don't know about (as well as the ones I do know!) - and I've got no idea of actual costings. I'm pretty sure it would take a good year or more to set up anyway, driver training or no driver training.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some Southern Trains drivers and guards would probably quite like to earn a few quid from a second job, not working for Southern Trains, just on match days. After all, it's only Southern Trains that they have a dispute with over overtime - working for a different employer something quite different. There are other drivers than Southern Trains drivers, anyway, who might like a few extra hours. No need to train new ones.

They could all take sickies on match days to do it......oh.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What about getting planning permission and doing engineering work to divert the Ouse westward from Lewes down to Falmer, then back out to Newhaven, then implementing a high speed, shuttle, hovercraft service between Shoreham, Falmer, Brighton Marina, Newhaven Harbour and Sovereign Harbour.

Typical! Yet again Hastings gets left out.

Unless of course you already know about Uncle Tony's plans to recommission the Waverley and have her paddle her way once again from our lovely restored pier?

Yes, yes that'll be it. As you were then.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All aboard the Barber Express.

View attachment 79648

img-20130616-000011.jpg

This is the one in our park. It doesn't really go anywhere in the park, just round and round a circle not much bigger than the centre circle of a football pitch.

Southern would probably still have cancellations and delays on it though if they ran it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Unless of course you already know about Uncle Tony's plans to recommission the Waverley and have her paddle her way once again from our lovely restored pier?

Hastings Pier, Eastbourne Pier then up the Ouse to The Amex. I like it! Probably be quicker than a train too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hastings Pier, Eastbourne Pier then up the Ouse to The Amex. I like it! Probably be quicker than a train too.

Really need to build a dedicated canal from Lewes in that case.......and all games will have to be scheduled around tide times, rather than Sky (probably no less convenient)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here