Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Could Ecuador really get kicked out of WC?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Don't quite understand why, if he is found not to be Ecuadorian, they only award Chile two 3-0 wins and not everyone else that he played against? Unless of course they've already decided that the other games he was in would have no bearing on who finished 4th!!

The chap in question didn’t feature against The teams above chile in the group. Clever little challenge that someone from chile spotted as a potential route!

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I don't think the issue is the fact he was born in Columbia and is more to do with the legality of his Ecuadorian citizenship. It seems as though the player concerned may have used fake documents when being given Ecuadorian citizenship. It appears as though he used false name and date of birth on a birth certificate issued in Ecuador and an there is an audio recording of him admitting to using this fake document which was given to him by someone instead of his real birth certificate issued in Colombia.

But how is that the concern of FIFA? All countries set their own citizenship rules anyway, so it is totally up to the Ecuadorian government as to whether his citizenship is legitimate. In the same way Mo Farah is not having his British citizenship revoked, surely if the Ecuadorian government just confirm that they're happy then that's the end of the matter as far as the football authorities should be involved?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If we're going down that path, can we claim Erling Haaland too?

(born in the same hospital as me, albeit ~20 years later...)

I wonder if his parents could have considered dual citizenship! If not, he only lived here for 3 years and I think residency is 7 years!

Would be nice if he were eligible though!! Perhaps if Keane hadn't exacerbated his knee problems he might have stayed longer and we could be looking at Kane on the bench!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
But how is that the concern of FIFA? All countries set their own citizenship rules anyway, so it is totally up to the Ecuadorian government as to whether his citizenship is legitimate. In the same way Mo Farah is not having his British citizenship revoked, surely if the Ecuadorian government just confirm that they're happy then that's the end of the matter as far as the football authorities should be involved?

Guessing that might be part of the interrogation they want to do with him, probably asking about the whens and hows.

If Harry Kane turns out to be some kind of Albanian fraudster who faked an English ID and got picked for the national team, the government can't give him a citizenship today and claim he was a legitimate Englishman all along as he would still have (legally) been an Albanian non-Englishman when he played in the qualifcation.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'm not sure you can use that as an excuse. If he has falsified his citizenship just to enable him to play for Ecuador then it is Fifa's concern, just as it would have been had they know about Cascarino all those years ago!!! If they do nothing then that opens the doors for other countries to accept false documents to boost their sporting chances or fast track applicants.

Wouldn't happen in this country (Z Budd anyone?).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
FIFA rules would have made it possible for Schmeichel to play for England, but the the Home nations agreement would have ruled it out as he doesn't meet any of the requirements.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
FIFA rules would have made it possible for Schmeichel to play for England, but the the Home nations agreement would have ruled it out as he doesn't meet any of the requirements.

To be fair I think the home nations agreement which I understand states it is only parents place of birth that allows you to qualify should be the norm across the board. It's ludicrous that you could be eligible to play for 7 different countries.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I can't imagine that Ecuador will be kicked out at this late stage with planning and logistics already in place both for the team and the fans. It would also (marginally) be unfair on the other teams in Group A who have probably already been doing their homework on Ecuador.

However, I can totally imagine that the player in question could be handed a ban from participating in any future internationals and Ecuador being handed some kind of punishment too. Maybe ban from the next World Cup? Or at least start qualification with a points deduction?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here