Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could be interesting... Dispatches C4 tomoorrow - Albion to be heavily featured

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
From Benefit Street to Chav jokes the white working class are demonized and mocked by a snobbish media. It's something people across the political divide from Owen Jones and Irvine Welsh to [MENTION=11956]bushy[/MENTION] agree on.
Demonised? Being working class doesn't mean being a chav. And we take the piss of the middle classes and upper classes too.

Football is historically a working class male game, the one bit of fun you had before the factory or mine opened back up. That this is now diluted has changed it and, in some respects, changed it for the worst.
Yes it was a working class game. But it's not so much the middle classes going to watch that's diluted it, football had to change regardless, because the violence that went with it couldn't be tolerated. And there were changes because of Hillsborough.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Sorry, I hate it when people bow out of threads and then come back but I'm going to do it anyway because you're talking nonsense here. From Benefit Street to Chav jokes the white working class are demonized and mocked by a snobbish media. It's something people across the political divide from Owen Jones and Irvine Welsh to [MENTION=11956]bushy[/MENTION] agree on.

Football is historically a working class male game, the one bit of fun you had before the factory or mine opened back up. That this is now diluted has changed it and, in some respects, changed it for the worst.

Think how pissed off black, gay working class people must be now

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Do I swear at football? Yes. Would I prefer to be able to stand at matches and have a beer? Yes. Do I wish football was less sanitised and corporate drive? Yes. Do I think something should be done about ticket prices moving the game away from the working classes? Yes. Do I enjoy the wit of the terraces? Of course.

But I also believe you can achieve all of the above without allowing supporters to be homophobic or racist.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Do I swear at football? Yes. Would I prefer to be able to stand at matches and have a beer? Yes. Do I wish football was less sanitised and corporate drive? Yes. Do I think something should be done about ticket prices moving the game away from the working classes? Yes. Do I enjoy the wit of the terraces? Of course.

But I also believe you can achieve all of the above without allowing supporters to be homophobic or racist.

That's exactly where I stand.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole

Agreed. But you can't walk in and change behaviour overnight that has gone unpunished for the last 40-50 years.

Whilst I don't condone any of the behaviour in the programme. Sneaky undercover filming of one or two individuals, picked out by some idiot with absolutely no understanding of what he was seeing isn't the answer either.

The programme was as bigger disgrace as the behaviour itself. Poor, very poor.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Will I still be allowed to flick Vs at the away fans and the ref? I'm not sure life would be worth living if I couldn't flick Vs at football.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Because monkey chants were aimed at individual black players. These chants are aimed at a group of fans who have heard it all before and in general don't think being called gay is an insult. Do you?

But they are both clearly reinforcing a conscious/subconscious belief that there is something wrong with being black or gay.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I just watched this and have to say its not really shown much that we haven't seen before. I think the chants such as we can see you holding hands and does your boyfriend know you're here. Are just BANTER!

However, when it turns to talk about Aids or HIV etc , which I heard at train station once after a Millwall game, then I think that it gets homophobic. But did I report it? No! , should I of or would I if I heard it again , unfortunately probably not .

I think the only reason we get this abuse is because its something our town is "stereotypically" known for and instead of complaining about chants like this, we should embrace them and sing back twice as loud, we're gay and we're beating you or we just ****ed you up the arse because the majority of fans will realise this is just a laugh.

I do feel sorry for some of the fans pictured who may now potentially receive punishments for singing some chants, because when you have had a few beers and are in a pact mentality , you sometimes say stuff you shouldn't . I think everyone has acted differently a football match than they wouldn't dream of in a normal environment.

As a result of this programme I can see that Police and stewards will clamp down on this now though but only because they know that TV shows come out like this every season and they do not want to be that steward/police officer featured, and to be seen doing nothing about it.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
That's exactly where I stand.

With you on this one, one other note from last night's program is that it appears Millwall have some form of vile chant for every football clubs supporters in the country.
Yes and no one likes them, pleased there will be a division between us next year

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
So maybe there is a general perception that sports fans would react with hostility to the holding of hands.

It's not that unusual to see same sex couples leaving cinemas or just walking down the street hand in hand. Plenty of examples of male/female couples doing so when leaving the stadium - I can only imagine that same sex couples don't feel comfortable enough to do so when at or leaving sporting events and chants such as those mentioned earlier can't really be a positive influence on that comfort level.

Or could it maybe the case that most gay fans aren't that interested in sport? Stereotypical i know but hey, I've worked with a few amount of gay blokes down the years never known any of them to have any interest in any sport. Maybe that is one of the reasons we dont see lot of gay couples holding hands as they mince away from the Amex, perhaps preferring an afternoon of shopping and lunch in town followed by a night at the theatre. I bet if you did a survey and asked 100 gay couples ' would you prefer an afternoon of shopping / lunch or attending a football match, the results would be overwhelmingly in favour of the former.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Or could it maybe the case that most gay fans aren't that interested in sport? Stereotypical i know but hey, I've worked with a few amount of gay blokes down the years never known any of them to have any interest in any sport. Maybe that is one of the reasons we dont see lot of gay couples holding hands as they mince away from the Amex, perhaps preferring an afternoon of shopping and lunch in town followed by a night at the theatre. I bet if you did a survey and asked 100 gay couples ' would you prefer an afternoon of shopping / lunch or attending a football match, the results would be overwhelmingly in favour of the former.

Does it only apply to male gay couples?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

:lolol: That is what you were after wasn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here