Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Correspondence with a muppet at ITV

Alan Gilliver

Oct 18, 2006
Hello

I am very rarely lost for words, but having just seen what FA Cup 3rd round replays ITV and ESPN are proposing to show next week, I had to check the calendar and see that it was not an April Fools joke.

Let's look at the three games and see which of them is a more attractive proposition than the only surviving non league club left in the competition up against Brighton.

Last Saturday's offering between Birmingham and Wolves saw an attendance of 14,594, including an away following of 2,488 watch the game, a distance of around 17 miles. Basically anyone who wanted to see the match could have watched it live at the ground. The same will go for the replay, I have no doubt. No one outside the west Midlands cares who wins

Leicester and Nottingham Forest attracted 18477, with 7816 fans making the 25 mile trip. Given that Leicester's capacity is marginally more than the City Ground the likelihood again is that anyone who wants to go will not struggle to get a ticket. Again no one outside the east Midlands cares about the result.

As for QPR vs Milton Keynes, where is the interest in that? Even a poor Premier League side is likely to beat a half decent League One team at home and even if QPR were beaten it a would only be on a par with Swindon beating Wigan last weekend. Yes, a struggling Premier League side beaten by a half decent League Two outfit - hardly earth shattering is it?

So this begs the question, why not non league Wrexham against Brighton with the reward for a giant killing a home tie with Newcastle?

It's not exactly easy for Brighton fans to take two days off at short notice to make a 500 miles round trip on a Tuesday night

The whole country bar a small section of Chester fans will be cheering on Wrexham. The club has struggled financially and nearly went out of business seven years ago. They could have done with the financial windfall far more than the other six teams in the games chosen.

Yet, you have chosen to ignore them. A quite staggering decision.

I, for one, will be boycotting your coverage next week and will be calling on football fans elsewhere to do the same.

I look forward to your explanation.

Subject: RE: A/F FA CUP REPLAYS

Thank you for your email regarding our FA Cup Replays

Wrexham were considered as a replay, but Mark Hughes' appointment as manager of QPR has sparked a great deal of interest and their replay with MK Dons marks his first home game in charge. The tie also offers the possibility of a League One side knocking out Premier League opponents.

The Wolves v Birmingham tie also throws up the chance of an upset and is a big Midlands derby.

Many thanks for taking the time to contact us here at ITV as we always welcome viewers feedback

If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us

Kind Regards

Ann
ITV VIEWER SERVICES

I replied thus.....

Ann

Your reply has missed the point entirely. While I am sure there is excitement in part of west London at Mark Hughes' appointment at QPR, it does not mean we are going to see an exciting match. Managers come and go. Had Venables returned to Loftus Road, I could see possibly see the point, but the new managerial appointment is about as exciting as a Geoff Boycott century.

As for Wolves vs Birmingham, not even the locals could get excited about it. Less than 15,000 bothered to turn up to the first game. If they aren't bothered do you really think the rest of us are? Not only will it not be a shock if a good Championship side beats a poor Premiership side, no one outside the west Midlands will care.

The whole point about FA Cup coverage is featuring a tie that catches the imagination of the public at large, not just the local population.

Wrexham's performance at the Amex epitomised what the FA Cup is all about. They were nearly out of business seven years ago, yet now they are poised not only for a return to the Football League, but have a genuine chance of of bringing Newcastle to the Racecourse Ground in the 4th round.

Of all the ties next Tuesday that is the one most neutrals will have their eye on.

If you and ESPN had the best interests of football fans at heart then I suspect a different decision would have been made. I suspect the proximity to major centres also played its part in the choice of games.

Regards

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
to be fair, there are no really juicy games!

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
A replay between our youth team and Wrexham is not exactly the most thrilling contest out there. I know there is the magic of FA Cup etc, but in these money-driven days the TV companies feel that having Premiership teams televised will increase viewing figures.

Good, albeit futile, rage. Well played sir.

Sorry. Both of those are bigger matches than Wrexham v Brighton.

Bigger to whom? Fans of the clubs involved? How many neutrals are interested in watching Wolves or QPR? They are hardly 'glamorous' Premier League sides. I accept entirely that the vast majority will similarly not be interested in Wrexham, but at least someone beyond simply Wrexham and Brighton fans might be. As Alan points out, if the local fans themselves can't be bothered to watch, why would anyone else want to?

D

Deleted member 22389

Does not matter now because my new favourite channel is S4C
And just to confirm Twitter

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I agree with your general gist that the Wrexham v Brighton game is the more "romantic" one in Cup terms.

But they don't televise these games according to geography, ie how easy it is for away fans to travel to the tie, they're not there to do us any favours. Its based primarily on the 'pull' of the clubs and size of TV audience they are likely to get. None of the ties are particularly inspiring, so its no surprise they've just kept to the bigger clubs as these will pull in a wider audience.

Nobody outside Wrexham / Brighton will give a flying fig about our game either, other than Palace who want a good laugh at our expense obviously.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bloody quick reply from ITV though, considering it was a fairly futile grizzle.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not sure comparing the attendances is a valid measure. That is just the number of people prepared to PAY to watch the match - it's no reflection on how many people will watch when it's for free. Birmingham, Wolves and Leicester can probably draw many more people to watch than we ever will given their membership of the Premier League over the last decade.

I'm just as frustrated as you that it's not on mainstream TV ( although ITV is dire at football and should NEVER be allowed to show even Sunday League after the World Cup cock up ) but I recognise it's a business decision and am very thankful for SC4 and the internet !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I really think, from the point of national interest, it's a pretty duff selection they have to choose from, and I'm really not sure that "saving the away fans a long drive" ever comes into the equation.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I agree with your general gist that the Wrexham v Brighton game is the more "romantic" one in Cup terms.

But they don't televise these games according to geography, ie how easy it is for away fans to travel to the tie, they're not there to do us any favours. Its based primarily on the 'pull' of the clubs and size of TV audience they are likely to get. None of the ties are particularly inspiring, so its no surprise they've just kept to the bigger clubs as these will pull in a wider audience.

Nobody outside Wrexham / Brighton will give a flying fig about our game either, other than Palace who want a good laugh at our expense obviously.
That sums it up. No one really gives a toss about a non-league side playing a Championship reserve team, I certainly wouldn't watch it if it were another Championship side. Admittedly the rest aren't much to write home about, but there's no way the Wrexham v Brighton game leaps out as the 'must see' match. Out of all of them QPR v MK Dons probably stands out as being the best of an insipid bunch.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Can't see what all the fuss is about. Ours is a very mudane fixture to the neutral.

You've still got Welsh TV through Sky, live radio commentary (if you're in Sussex) or the old fashioned way of enjoying away games - buy a ticket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here