Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Corners

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Will search for it but pretty sure the Opta stars over multiple years of all teams scoring from a corner is 3%

6th and a positive goal difference, shrug?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Will search for it but pretty sure the Opta stars over multiple years of all teams scoring from a corner is 3%

see my post above

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

It's a misleading statistic. There are lots more goals than that from corners for example like the Leicester goal today. That won't be recorded as a goal from a corner as there was a flick first

For goals like, "corner, header, goal", that's about 3% of corners. But there's loads more where a flick or nod down, a keeper parries into the middle, or a defender half clears, or a pen is awarded.

I suppose the point i'm making is that I don't have much time for the argument that corners are over-rated and there's we shouldn't be focusing on them, because we're still not doing well at them.

As for your point about us being 6th. Well I agree. Always room for improvement though

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
There’s a reason for it.
Not sure what it is yet.
But theses guys are professionals
???

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Nearly every team in the league says this, Corners are just not easy to score from.
We could at least shit them up a bit and try and score Though.

If I remember correctly, in the aulden days Duffy and DUnk used to score headers from corners. I don't suppose we're allowed headers now we've taken back control of our own heads.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Seemed to be so many in the box that they crowded each other out & no one could see where the ball was actually going. 🤷‍♀️

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can’t blame Solly or Pascal for JPVH managing to Sky a header from under the bar.

:shrug:
Watching that again, the keeper gets a crucial touch so it wasn’t that bad a miss for me - looked worse than it was. He was at fault for the second goal though - play the way you’re facing - basics.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I read an article a year or so ago that basically said that every corner should be played short and start possession again from there, as scoring from a corner is so difficult.
Think it will be more and more common.
However one of the difficulties about scoring from corners is that the defense is collected and that wouldnt change with short ones.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Can’t blame Solly or Pascal for JPVH managing to Sky a header from under the bar.

:shrug:
He did the right thing. If there wasn't that deflection off the Leicester player a fraction of a second before the ball reached him it would have been a trumping headed goal. The deflection made the ball rise just enough to make his header fly over the bar.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
We seem to have a corner routine we use regularly that involves putting the ball towards the near post.

However, the margin for error is so slim as oftentimes it doesn't beat the first man or it's easy for the keeper to collect.

There was a game recently where Mac won the header at the near post and the keeper made a great save, but otherwise the routine doesn't seem to work well.

We aren't a very tall team, so that could also be a reason we don't seem to score from many corners.

There are also some free-kicks we take including one yesterday where we seem to float it in which makes it easy to defend.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Watching that again, the keeper gets a crucial touch so it wasn’t that bad a miss for me - looked worse than it was. He was at fault for the second goal though - play the way you’re facing - basics.
Looked like he a had a zonal position along with Dunk. The error was not having called or had another player behind him. But he was slow to react as well.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Think it will be more and more common.
However one of the difficulties about scoring from corners is that the defense is collected and that wouldnt change with short ones.

I suppose in theory, if we recycled the ball back to the halfway line, we could draw the opposition out in a press.

But I don't think the crowd would be able to deal with that :lolol:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Dunk seems to have stopped scoring and Colwill probably not as good with head as Webster. Things might change if Ferguson plays more. Gross was unlucky not to score direct from a corner against Villa(?). Would love see the ball played to 18 yard line for Mac to volley Danny Wilson style.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Noticed Trossard taking a corner for Arsenal on Sunday.

Made me wonder if

A) he hadn't had time to learn their set pieces
B) we missed a trick during his time with us
or
C) none of the Arsenal squad are as good at taking corners as Gross, March or Mac Allister

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Nearly every team in the league says this, Corners are just not easy to score from.

This.

Corners just aren't the goalscoring opportunity they used to be. The game has changed in this regard.

So many new techniques are being tried by top level clubs including ourselves to try to make corners useful again. None of it seems to be effective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here