Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Corners. Attacking and defending

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
When we have BDB on the pitch, when defending corners last week, I noticed that he positioned on the back post? Why we would not put him near post? Tallest player in the league could cut out a larger number of crosses?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Very relevant today.

At both ends...

I love Mary Ryan and think he is an excellent keeper overall but I really think we are going to struggle this season defending set pieces without Duffy in front of him. We just aren’t as strong in the air defensively and need a keeper who can come and dominate his six yard box.

As soon as anyone has a free kick in a dangerous position to cross or a corner, we look very suspect at the moment.

I genuinely think we could bring in another keeper this window despite it not being an obvious position to strengthen

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A question I have repeatedly asked:-

Why can't we do tactical fouls?

BDB had a think about on the halfway line.
Waited 20 yards then decided to bring Mata down.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
First Dunk makes a bad pass, then Burn gives away an unnecessary foul, then Burn and Bernardo stand watching as McTominay scores. Lots of possession but no shots on target. HT 0-1.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Prediction. We won't score a single goal from a set piece for the rest of the season.

We'll concede another 15

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Very many years ago when I first took my wife to some matches, she asked 'why do you all get excited and start chanting 'seagulls' when you get a corner - nothing ever happens from them?'.

I've never really been able to provide a decent answer.

It wasn't Kieran O'reagan vs Pompey match then ?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
First Dunk makes a bad pass, then Burn gives away an unnecessary foul, then Burn and Bernardo stand watching as McTominay scores. Lots of possession but no shots on target. HT 0-1.

A ball in that area is the keepers ball. Every time. I find it hard to blame the defenders for that, except maybe White breaking the offside line, but a minor point

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Prediction. We won't score a single goal from a set piece for the rest of the season.

We'll concede another 15

The Dunk..Duffy.. Murray combo cleared almost everything and threatened in the opposition box. Thats gone now and Dunk looks less certain defending set pieces. White and Webster have been brought in for their ball playing skills, as opposed to their positional sense and defending. That goal tonight was schoolboy stuff and so was Saturday's horrible finale. We are going to have to score plenty of goals this season because we are sure as hell going to concede at set pieces.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A ball in that area is the keepers ball. Every time. I find it hard to blame the defenders for that, except maybe White breaking the offside line, but a minor point

I’ll politely disagree, strongly! Just watch Burn and Bernardo as MacTominay heads it in. How would Steele have got out there?

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
What the **** has happened to Dunk this season, his heading seems shit, he's out of position a lot, his passing has been poor. Hopefully it's lack of sharpness due to the break.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here