Coping with Depression

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
DO NOT USE ANTI-DEPRESSENTS!!!!!

Shamanic medicinal plants is the way to go....ayahyasca, wachuma, san pedro.....with a good shaman / session holder.......this will sort out the CAUSE and not just hack at the symptom like western medicine does.

as humans we are meant to be up and down, it is how we get thro it....meditate and observe the feelings, where they come from........look deep within.

If you take PROFESSIONAL ADVICE then follow it.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I know the not drinking alcohol is all good advice and all that, BUT, does anyone else find their capacity to drink loads more than usual and not suffer hangovers was a 'feature' of taking anti depressants?
The down side is that I have had three or four seperate cases where I have lost a few hours in such an evening.

If you're drinking there's no point in taking any drugs as they won't work. Anti Depressents are actually mood elevators and they release chemicals in the brain gradually to artificially improve your sense of well being. Alcohol, being a depressant has the opposite affect and does a lot mor harm than good. Whilst drink can make you unconcious it is not sleep in the perscribed sense and thus it also makes you feel tired thus adding to depression.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
If you take PROFESSIONAL ADVICE then follow it.

lol........ever studied the pharm corps and how these "experts" are just the front men for their sales.

you need to study a little mate. i had a good friend dieing of HIV due to the pills, and i sent her to a shaman and the story changed completely....you little westernised system lovers need to realise that TRUE HEALING has been on this planet for millenia ......and is not born from wanting $$$$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltpQfC3CZmI&feature=fvsr

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
A great analogy I was given by my GP when I was depressed was this:

Our heads are like buckets, usually filled up with 'happy juices'. But when we get depressed, the happy juices start to run low, dripping (or pouring) out of a hole in the bottom of the bucket.
Anti-depressants can help top up the happy juices, so the level in the bucket goes back up. But unless the leak is sealed in the bottom of the bucket (through therapy in my case), these happy juices will continue to leak out.

So, therapy (or at least talking things through with someone you trust) is really important, as it will hopefully root out the cause of the problem and plug the hole. Anti-depressants can be a great help and may 'top you up', but the leak needs to be sorted.

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
lol........ever studied the pharm corps and how these "experts" are just the front men for their sales.

you need to study a little mate. i had a good friend dieing of HIV due to the pills, and i sent her to a shaman and the story changed completely....you little westernised system lovers need to realise that TRUE HEALING has been on this planet for millenia ......and is not born from wanting $$$$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltpQfC3CZmI&feature=fvsr

Hate to tell you but I would bet I know a lot more about this subject than you do. I have studied it and I and a lot of people I know have suffered or are suffering from depression. The plain fact is that a professional opinion is far more knowledgable than some of the comments on here. I said on this thread earlier that this is not the place to get good advice, thanks for proving me right.]

The NHS cannot afford intensive therapy unless your condidition is servere and thus tablets are a quick fix. getting the the root of your problems takes years and the NHS doesn't do that much unless you try commiting suicide.

Oct 25, 2003
-anti depressents help but they won't cure....what they've helped me with is stuff like getting out of bed in the morning, being motivated to do things etc.

-i'm currently undergoing CBT which is helping me a lot in terms of changing the way i react to situations

-cut down on drinking, coffee and any other drugs (i'm not really practising what i preach there, but hey)

-go out as much as you can, spend as much time as you can with friends etc.

-don't mind read......part of my problem is trying to guess what other people think of me.....which is usually way off the mark

-LOADS of people are in a similar situation to you.....i've found that group therapy helps

everyones case is different, and everyone deals with it in different ways, but i hope this advice helps

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It really is a sad endightment on modern life in a wealthy nation, when you realise how many people have been affected by depression at some point or other. Even if you haven't experienced severe depression yourself, the chances are you'll be close to someone who has. :down:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I went through a significant bout of depression and stress this time last year. I was off work for 6-8 weeks and went back part time to start with.
To add to what others have said I would say:-
a) if they offer you pills take them. My GP said they wouldn't cure me, but they would help take away some of the very bad days and get you more on an even keel rather than big mood swings. But also plan and make clear to those giving them to you that you want a regular reveiw. From starting on 1 full strength Sertraline a day I am now down to 1/2 dose twice a week.
b) Exercise, exercise, exercise. I just used to go for a walk for an hour every day.
c)I was not told to stop drinking. I actually found it theraputic to go to my local where I am well known for a couple of times a week and have a couple of pints and just join in pub conversations. Help keeps you thinking you are still part of a real world that functions outside your mental state.
d) I saw a Counsellor. My enlightened employer paid for 6 sessions and then 6 more; but I found it helpful to get some more myself. This worked for me, but I doubt its a universal panacea. If you do go, don't go with any preconceptions about psychiatrists couches etc. And it is no sin if you try it and say "this doesn't work for me". Any genuine Counsellor worth their salt won't want to risk the profession's reputation by just stringing you along for £x an hour.

Err.........that's it! Wishing you all the best.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Excellent advice but I couldn't help thinking "would I take advice on mental health from someone called Screaming J"?

Then again, possibly no more than I should from an old gull.............. :lol:

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I've had a mixture of depression, anxiety / panic and OCD the last few years and although anti depressants have helped me level out a little (Citalopram) I never saw them as the cure.

I feel I'm now able to manage myself a lot better in situations where before I would freak out so have come off the pills, slowly but surely!

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I've suffered from severe depression on and off for a number of years and it is so hard sometimes to dig yourself out of a miserable rut and bounce back. I found anti-depressants worked for me when I was on the brink in 2005 but there are no easy answers. My own battles with the blues have been caused by heavy ecstasy use for a few years that destroyed most of my serotonin - the feel good chemicals in the brain. I also lost a really close mate to cancer and it took me a heck of a long time to get my head back to normal. Still miss him badly. One of the most important things in coping with depression is structure in your life, keeping busy but without getting too stressed out. Make plans and get the best out of every day.

I made a number of resolutions for this year and generally I've kept most of them. My family and friends have noticed the huge difference in me being really happy at the moment. I've had a lot of support through NSC and quite a few posters on here. When I have a lapse I'm not going to beat myself up anymore - I'm only human and will make mistakes along the way (ie using cocaine) but as long as I learn from them that's the main thing.

It sounds like you've been through a heck of a lot, ChampionsElect, and I hope you get better very soon. Just take one day at a time and don't feel like you've let anyone down. Your parents love you. Hope everything works out for you mate.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
4259.jpg

billy_ocean_get_out_of_my_dreams.jpg

Wishing you better times ahead, CE.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
There seems to be a bit of a debate about whether or not to go down the prozac route or not. This being a football message board it is safe to say that the majority will be basing their opinions on experiences they, or friends of theirs have had. As already stated by someone else, every case is different and ultimately you should go with your doctors reccomendation.

I have been off work for the past 4 months with stress & "Low Mood" and have not had to go down the anti-depressent route, so don'y think they are a neccessity.

Lastly, when you next speak to your doctor ask him about CBT (Cognative Behavioural Therapy). I am currently having it and have found it to be brilliant when it comes to changing your negative thinking into positive.

Anyway, all the best and you should remember that depression is a lot more common than you may think and just because you are suffering from it currently it doesn't make you a weak person.

I suffer from depression, amongst other things, and can suddenly hit a low without warning. I can't work out why I should be feelimg this way as I have a steady jod which I enjoy, own my home, have no real money worries, have food in the fridge, go on holiday and have a wife who loves me. I am a recovering alcoholic who attends 3 or 4 AA meetings each week. I find that meetings help the way I feel but sometimes the depression takes over. In the old days I thought I could drink my depression away but soon found out that when sober the depression was still there. Depression is a horrible illness and I sympathise with you.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I haven't read all through this thread so I don't know if the following has been suggested.
A friend of mine (yeah I know it always starts like that but this was another person not me) was diagnosed with depression - he was advised to try hynotherapy and said that after a couple of sessions he feels better than he has done for a couple of years.
Good luck mate and hope that whatever you try works

RuudvanCalderon

Dec 20, 2010
The main thing is that you have it out in the open, I have often found that talking about your problems, to someone you don't know (your doctor, Samaritans) really helps. Lean on your close friends, they will help you through. Breaking up with someone really f***ing hurts, but I have to say I'm glad I have been through it and it has made me a stonger person. Be positive, Good Luck.

Firstly I used to be quite a prolific poster on here so know the good advice and help that NSC can actually give, although I don't post anywhere near enough as I used to. I'd like to get this out in the open but for the time being I'd like to protect my identity.

Basically, it feels like I'm at an all time low in life and everything and everyone seems so far away. I'm still quite young but people tell me I've been through a lot. I'd say it all started around 14 months when I discovered that an ex of mine had suffered a miscarriage, we weren't planning for a child but the relationship wasn't the greatest although it lasted a fair amount of time. I don't think a day passed by without the thoughts and the upset going through my head.

Since the start of last year I've also got myself into a fair amount of debt and its nye on impossible for me to pay that back as I can't control money in any sort of way. I wish I could.

Things changed for me at the start of September after meeting a new girlfriend, although she was a few years younger than what I am. The relationship was great and I actually felt happy and physically better about myself. The feelings inside felt and feel so much stronger than any other that I previously had. Everything was okay until Christmas Day. That day I woke up in one of those moods where you just sit there and think why? Why have I messed up everything previously in everything else I've ever done etc. Unfortunately I managed to take this out on my girlfriend which ultimately I believed ruined her day. For a few days afterwards things seemed okay but I felt something wasn't right. Just after new year she text me saying that she's sorry for being a bit moody at the moment and that she loves me so much. So I ask to see her and her response was that she didn't know when she'd next be able to see me. An hour or so later I received a text saying that sorry she couldn't do this anymore and that at this moment in time she didn't need a relationship. The pain and the anguish inside is truly the worst I've ever felt. People say move on etc. but the fact is that I can't - my heart won't let me simply because of the feelings I have.

Also its fair to say that I don't really have many close friends and my best mate now lives a fair bit away - the times when you need them the most, they seem so far away. I know that I've wasted a fair bit of my life and ultimately I know that my parents are disappointed in me and feel let down.

Nothing seems to go right for me for a sustained period of time. I know I'm depressed and I've asked to be put back in touch with my psychologist. I just felt I had to get this out in the open and to not bottle it all up inside.

For those who have worked out who I normally post as, please don't reveal this at this moment in time.

Read this book - Depressive Illness - The curse of the strong by Dr Tim Cantopher. Absolutely fantastic.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Good post CE., whilst its right for some people to spot that it isn't the place to be looking for advice, I'd probably hasten to add you seem like an intelligent enough person to be posting here not for advice but more for a confirmation that you are actually a normal rational person (I suppose you probably didn't think of it like that), and also so that people can share their situtations with you and hopefully in some small way ensure you that you are not alone.

One of the bad parts of depression, having seen it relatively closely, is the feeling that you are completely and utterly alone. Take it from me, no matter what time, day or night, breakfast lunch and or dinner, 2am, 4am, 5:34pm in the afternoon, you are not alone and there will always be someone to talk to about how you feel. NSC might not be perfect, but there is always someone here for a chat!

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
You must learn to love yourself...

I would say this is KEY. I don't think you can honestly moved forward until you do love yourself.

Depression is a terrible **** that holds you back and robs your life, but the good news is it can be conquered/kept at bay. Some of the good advice on here like eat healthy, exercise and goals are the 3 main ones i would go for.

I plan on giving depression the RED CARD this year for good.

Good luck mate!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports