Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] COP 28

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
COP 28 starts today - Is it all ‘Blah, Blah, Blah’ as Greta Grunberg says or will steps be made?

live videos of conference

Where next for CC protest if the formal channels are not achieving change fast enough?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
What does Eddie Murphy have to do with the COP28?
OK, I get it - it's a new cast.

Eddie Murphy Ok GIF by STARZ

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
OK, I get it - it's a new cast.

Eddie Murphy Ok GIF by STARZ
I still am failing to see the connection here or the point you are trying to make 😳 You’ll have to explain please, I’m being a bit dense I suspect 🤔

Edit: The penny’s dropped - I was indeed being dense (although in my defence, not the sort of film that’s on my radar)

Very funny @schmunk 👍
IMG_0802.jpeg

Last edited:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Thanks for starting the thread, @Zeberdi . As someone whose professional life (or the last 20 years of it, at least) has been dominated by climate change, I'm not optimistic about UAE's presidency (given that they've also been trying to sign oil and gas deals with some of the participants) nor getting back on track to limiting temperature rises to 1.5 or 2°.

What HAS to happen is that rich countries commit resources to help poor countries to adapt to climate change. It is our moral obligation - we caused and continue to cause the majority of anthropogenic climate change. On a less savoury and more pragmatic level, its us who will face pressure from climate-driven migration.
More resources:

House of Commons Library briefing

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m in Dubai at the moment and the irony is the constant traffic of helicopters from the palm today( with the nice hotels) to the mainland for the conference, rather than a 20-30min car journey or even better getting the Metro…

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Like the previous 27 it will be all "blah, blah, blah".

70K delegates (and presumably more hangers-on) flying in from all around the world and yet nobody seems to detect the irony in that.

Can none of them use Zoom?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Blimey, did it really only take 13 posts for some idiot to mention China and India...? :facepalm:

:lolol:
Interesting stat...

At the end of last year the US had 110GW of solar capacity. First 9 months of 2023 China added 128GW of solar. They are over 50% renewables on their grid now...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well this is going well …
The sooner we destroy the demand for hydrocarbons, the sooner the price will collapse and make extraction uneconomic. Beggars belief COP should be held in a place like the UAE.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Interesting stat...

At the end of last year the US had 110GW of solar capacity. First 9 months of 2023 China added 128GW of solar. They are over 50% renewables on their grid now...

Yet are building more and more of these.

It would be unlike China to lie about something

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yet are building more and more of these.

It would be unlike China to lie about something
With China you never know, they claim to have sold 5M EV last year, around 7 times more than the US.

What is evident is China's qty of scale is providing us with what we need to strive to net zero and costs of many products are falling rapidly.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here