Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Conway - not good enough

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Let's face it, he's been disappointing. I can't remember much of what he did last night, apart from miss the header.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I'm not sure really, what do you want him to do, beat his man, then wait 5 seconds, for the rest of the defenders to get back, and one of our players deciding to break into the box?

Surely the point of playing 2 wingers, is to provide that kind of quick ball into the box.

Seriously, when did he beat his man?

And I can think of two times second half when, in acres of space and at a time when looking to turn screw he looked up and sent in balls so bad they went about 5 yards behind those waiting in the box. A level of waste you simply shouldn't see at this level. Don't understand why March not getting a run.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Totally agree. The aimless cross or smash it and hope type cross seem part and parcel of the English game at the moment at all levels.

I know we are discussing Conway, but that cross field ball from one wing to the other in the second half from Buckley to either Conway or Ward was superb.

that and one other cross is about all buckley did..his shooting was powder puff...conway is taking more than his share of flack ..still won't be here much longer will he?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Seriously, when did he beat his man?

And I can think of two times second half when, in acres of space and at a time when looking to turn screw he looked up and sent in balls so bad they went about 5 yards behind those waiting in the box. A level of waste you simply shouldn't see at this level. Don't understand why March not getting a run.

I can think of several dangerous balls in the first half...dont u think this calling for March is a bit finger in the wind....at this stage he offers promise...the rest is unproven

albionite

May 20, 2009
Must of watched a different game to everyone else. Thought he had a good game and caused them all sorts of problems down left wing in first half.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Must of watched a different game to everyone else. Thought he had a good game and caused them all sorts of problems down left wing in first half.
You aren't on your own...there a few of us who thought the same as you...doesnt mean we are right...just matter of opinion isn't it...personally i think he is taking the flack for the teams overall problem of not putting the ball in the net

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Agree with this totally. Some people are buying into a myth that Conway's crossing is good, just because he sent a few mediocre balls in at Yeovil that nobody got particularly close to. As you say, last night he consistently delivered the ball too deep and behind our attackers. And he's got absolutely nothing in the locker to beat a man, so crossing is just about his only weapon, and it's average at best.

This sums it up. He is slow, couldn't get the better of their right back on numerous occasions. Crossing far to deep. Am struggling to see why we signed him.

Oh well Orlandi and Bridcutt will be close to a return by Blackburn so good times ahead

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I can think of several dangerous balls in the first half...dont u think this calling for March is a bit finger in the wind....at this stage he offers promise...the rest is unproven

My point for suggesting we give March minutes is that if we accept this is a transition season - we are not getting promoted imo - let's use the opportunity to give players like March and Ince more gametime whilst players like Kaz are out. I'm not suggesting we need to be cavalier, but I simply don't see that a loanee like Conway is demonstrating that substantially higher level of quality to keep March out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My point for suggesting we give March minutes is that if we accept this is a transition season - we are not getting promoted imo - let's use the opportunity to give players like March and Ince more gametime whilst players like Kaz are out. I'm not suggesting we need to be cavalier, but I simply don't see that a loanee like Conway is demonstrating that substantially higher level of quality to keep March out.
This all makes perfect sense when he's coming to the end of his loan spell and a decision has to be made.
But the fella needs time to find his feet, and for the team to become accustom to him.

I just don't see how people can form an opinion, yet, esp the fans that didn't go to Yeovil.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
KLL is much better.

Not denying that, but also very injury prone. I seem to recall we nearly pulled out of the deal to sign him due to issues at his medical, and since then he is no stranger to the physio's bench.

I love watching Kaz, but realistically he is never going to be fit for more than 20-25 games a season. The nature of his sprinting from a standing start also increases the chances of picking up an injury.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I got the feeling that whenever he did have the ball and the chance to deliver then he took it. Which wasn't always the best option. At times Ward had overlapped and his left foot was more than likely going to be able to whip in a cross at pace that Ashley could have met rather than simply weakly flick one of Conway's more measly inswingers. To stand out doesn't always mean doing something extraordinarily outstanding. It means being a key figure in a landscape dotted with many.
Not a great performance by any means, but in our current circumstances, not sure who else we can really turn to and hope has a positive change in form right now. Again, i think the return of an attacking midfielder could help him form a bond and give him the space to start delivering with potency and deviousness. It doesn't seem as if he's the man to do it on his own.

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
I wish he was a bit quicker but I thought he linked up well with those around him and rarely lost the ball. Didn't stand out in a negative way at all.

I thought the fullbacks and midfield all did well to set up overlaps going forward. We really could do with a decent target man as we do work the ball into crossing areas consistently well.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I do think Conway is improving and the guy knows how to cross a ball. Right now, we really need his and i think he is trying to impress. Let's get behind him and hope he does well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here