Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Constant criticism!

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Thought i would take advantage of reduced ticket prices and take my 9 year old son to todays game.We sat in the south stand and could not believe the negative comments before the game was underway.During the game this got progressively worse,constant barracking towards our players. My son then asked me why these so called fans kept doing this,he then asked me if they were Albion fans.What could i say? Dickinson was harshly getting both barrels from these idiots,not long after he opened the scoring.I personally rate him,i thought some of his link up play and passing today was very good aswell as his workrate.It was somewhat ironic when he orchastrated then scored the winning goal that puts us in round 3 with possibly a moneyspinning tie looming.This may enable us to buy a decent defender.
As far as the constant criticism,i believe this puts unnecessary pressure on the team.The crowd are supposed to be the 12th man for the home sides but it seems at Withdean the away team get this benefit.This explains our poor home form,i think the players themselves prefer to play away(Southampton,Millwall,Carlisle etc).This is not the first time i have experienced such negativity at Withdean,it is noticed by a lot of my friends and other people i know who go to games.It also puts people off going.These idiots must realise they are no support they are plainly a hindrance to the whole club.

onthebeach

Jul 15, 2009
Thought i would take advantage of reduced ticket prices and take my 9 year old son to todays game.We sat in the south stand and could not believe the negative comments before the game was underway.During the game this got progressively worse,constant barracking towards our players. My son then asked me why these so called fans kept doing this,he then asked me if they were Albion fans.What could i say? Dickinson was harshly getting both barrels from these idiots,not long after he opened the scoring.I personally rate him,i thought some of his link up play and passing today was very good aswell as his workrate.It was somewhat ironic when he orchastrated then scored the winning goal that puts us in round 3 with possibly a moneyspinning tie looming.This may enable us to buy a decent defender.
As far as the constant criticism,i believe this puts unnecessary pressure on the team.The crowd are supposed to be the 12th man for the home sides but it seems at Withdean the away team get this benefit.This explains our poor home form,i think the players themselves prefer to play away(Southampton,Millwall,Carlisle etc).This is not the first time i have experienced such negativity at Withdean,it is noticed by a lot of my friends and other people i know who go to games.It also puts people off going.These idiots must realise they are no support they are plainly a hindrance to the whole club.

well said and put quite perfectly no one wants to take their children to a game where the players are screamed at and ripped to bits by so called supporters. no wonder we never win at home hardly as you say the 12th man is always with the opposing team.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne

Quite right. Negative fans at the ground and negative fans on here as well. The players are playing poorly at the moment but it does not take a rocket scientist to work out why our away record is better than at home.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Were you sitting in E block?
There was a group of about 8 youngish Muppets who could not say one word without an F*** or C*** before and after it.
They started on at Dickinson before he even scored the first goal and that was what after three minutes!!
They continued this abuse throughout the match adding both Virgo and Elphick to the abuse.
They spent the whole game singing karaoke and trying to be funny (which they weren’t) and comparing the Withdean to Chelsea.
It made a pretty miserable afternoon, what with the rain and the performance even worse.
I know we need fans through the gates but please lads don't come again.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Quite right. Negative fans at the ground and negative fans on here as well. The players are playing poorly at the moment but it does not take a rocket scientist to work out why our away record is better than at home.

Home
Win 4
Draw 1
Loss 6

Away
Win 2
Draw 5
Loss 5

We've lost only one game more at home than away, and have won twice as many at home than we have away.

In what reality does that mean our away form is better than at home?

Our magnificent away fans are apparently less effective at inspiring the team than the negative, moaning home fans.

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Go to any game, anywhere in the country and if the home team are having a poor run, you get the same moans. It's not something special to Brighton fans, eg Liverpool fans booing their team off at half time last year when I think they were second or third in the prem, just because they weren't beating Stoke. If you want the glamour of being a pro footballer, and if you don't perform, sometimes you have to accept a bit of shit. My heart bleeds for the poor little darlings.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its the old chicken & egg...is it down to the fans to get the team going, or vice-versa ? With the best will in the world, its hard to chant, cheer and shout yer head off in the pissing rain when the team is absolutely STINKING the place out against bunch of mid table non-leaguers. I was grumbling and muttering though most of it.

There I said it.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
You're quite right. I had it put into perspective by my 8 year old son; we were coming home in the car and I was commenting on getting soaked whilst watching one of the most abject displays of football I've seen in a long time and he cut me short by telling me how much he'd enjoyed it. That it was - in his words - 'brilliant'.

And in that short, succinct moment he showed me just exactly what had happened to my view of football over the years. I always want a 'performance'. To see my team play like 1970 Brazil will only do. All he wants is a win. And that's why - to him - today was 'brilliant'. Lesson learnt. Thanks son.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
Home
Win 4
Draw 1
Loss 6

Away
Win 2
Draw 5
Loss 5

We've lost only one game more at home than away, and have won twice as many at home than we have away.

In what reality does that mean our away form is better than at home?

Our magnificent away fans are apparently less effective at inspiring the team than the negative, moaning home fans.

Fact is you have to do better at home than away to keep up with everybody else.

The present position is:

Code:
[B][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Courier New].       Pld  W  D  L   F   A  GD  GFA   GAA   PpG   Pts  Rank[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Courier New][B][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Courier New]Home:     [/FONT][/B][B][FONT=Courier New]9  2  1  6  10  17  -7  1.11  1.88  0.77   7    [/FONT][/B][B][FONT=Courier New][B]23[/B][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=2][B][FONT=Courier New]Away:     [/FONT][/B][B][FONT=Courier New]9  2  4  3  12  18  -6  1.33  2.00  1.11  10    [/FONT][/B][B][FONT=Courier New][B]13[/B][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=2]Overall: 18  4  5  9  22  35 -13  1.22  1.94  0.94  17    20[/SIZE][/B]

[/FONT]

Can't blame it all on 'Withdean' effect; at least not on the stadium.

The stream of invective on NSC sometimes put out as valid comment probably doesn't help much either.

I'm sure our players can see and hear and read, even though all we need from them is the right mix of skill and application!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with the original post, i took my 8 year old for his 3 game ever,He was also a bit bemused by the negative chants towards our players.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Fact is you have to do better at home than away to keep up with everybody else.

So, it's not that we're doing better away from home, it's that our home form isn't better enough than our away form?! That makes no sense.

The present position is:

..If you're being selective and only pick the league games, and ignore the cup games, such as today's which is the cause of this discussion.

This season, we have won more often at home than we have away. Our losses are pretty even.

Can't blame it all on 'Withdean' effect; at least not on the stadium.

Agreed. I don't think it should receive any blame, it was a fortress. It has a running track? So did wembley. So do a lot of grounds.

The stream of invective on NSC sometimes put out as valid comment probably doesn't help much either.

I'm sure our players can see and hear and read, even though all we need from them is the right mix of skill and application!

If these professional players are so delicate, they shouldn't go to fan forums such as this when they are performing badly, or getting poor results.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
J2 DOG.....was that Andy Kennedy's number plate? I remember seeing it on a Volkeswagen Scirocco parked on the seafront in Hove 15 years ago (it's funny the things you remember!)

Last edited:

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
This season we have won at home against Wycombe twice,Gillingham and an average conference team we made hard work of.None of these wins were convincing or a stroll.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Those taking their sons for the first time today must sit them down and explain that it is a rare event for us to win at home and it is not uncommon for supporters to critisise poor play,support has to be earned.

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
I went to my second game of the season today, and although I tried to be positive I became very frustrated at our inability to keep the ball for anything more than 2 or 3 passes.

I know that the weather was awful in the second half, but Rushden made us look poor. Perhaps Gus now has a measure of the task ahead. I hope that Mr Bloom has some money available for the January transfer window. Some of the players today looked very poor indeed.

zego

Jul 10, 2003
So, it's not that we're doing better away from home, it's that our home form isn't better enough than our away form?! That makes no sense.

If we had done as well at home as the club that ranked as well at home as we have away (Exeter), ie if we had achieved rank 13 both home AND away, the table would look something like this:

Code:
[FONT=Courier New][B][SIZE=2].       Pld  W  D  L   F   A  GD  GFA   GAA   PpG   Pts  Rank[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]Home:     9  3  5  1  14   9   5  1.55  1.00  1.55  [B][FONT=Courier New][B]14    13   [/B][/FONT][/B][/FONT][B][FONT=Courier New][B]Exeter[/B][/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][B]Away:     [/B][/FONT][FONT=Courier New]9  2  4  3  12  18   6  1.33  2.00  1.11  10    [B][FONT=Courier New][B]13   BHA[/B][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New][B]Overall: [/B][/FONT][FONT=Courier New]18  5  9  4  26  27  11  1.44  1.50  1.33  24    [B][FONT=Courier New][B]11[/B][/FONT][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

I don't think the grumbles would be the same if we were really in 11th place, and improving.

It is difficult to draw much in the way of conclusions by mixing non-league/cup games in with league games - managers/teams/supporters attitudes aren't the same.

Most teams most of the time aren't hugely different in their home and away rankings - big differences usually are symptomatic of a problem.

Withdean hasn't changed a great deal since we first started playing there, indeed one might think that increasing capacity and other improvements might have made for a better experience for home fans.

Also our managers have put out much the same team for away games as home games.

Perhaps that 8yr old really can see something that his elders and betters don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here