Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Consortium acquires Lewes FC women's team

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So gonna be spun out away from the men's team?
Pretty much - proposal (not approved yet) is 51% of the Women's team (already a separate legal entity) going to the consortium with Lewes FC (100% fan owned) owning the other 49%. Lewes FC will still own the pitch, central ops etc.

If the women are going to be competitive something like this has to happen - their historic 'equal budgets for men and women' thing doesn't really work. The women can't compete with other tier 2 clubs long term as more and more money gets pumped into the competition, and with a load of teams below tier 2 also on the way up (including from clubs like Newcastle).

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Hmmn. Sounds like a done deal, but I've had an email asking for my opinion as a Lewes FC owner. Wonder if there will be a ballot and if owners views, or directors wishes will be the deciding factor?

The original ethos at Lewes was for the Men and Women Teams to have equal resources, but with the call for Womens Championship clubs, like Lewes, to become professional that would make it very unlikely, so the Women's team would have much more under this take over.

I'm confused and unsure. Needs careful consideration as the scraps from an enhanced Womens Team could be considerable for the men, but at what cost? Who knows what a takeover consortium might want to do in the future?

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Good to see the proposal sent out in confidence this morning to all fan owners for review, with this text in bold, was adhered to! I did wonder how long they really expected it to be kept under wraps.

"As a reminder, our duty as Owners is to protect the Club, and we’d like to reiterate that this information is private & confidential and should not be shared onwards or discussed with non-Lewes FC Owners, Staff or Directors."

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Good to see the proposal sent out in confidence this morning to all fan owners for review, with this text in bold, was adhered to! I did wonder how long they really expected it to be kept under wraps.

"As a reminder, our duty as Owners is to protect the Club, and we’d like to reiterate that this information is private & confidential and should not be shared onwards or discussed with non-Lewes FC Owners, Staff or Directors."
Well as its in Guardian not much chance of that !

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hmmn. Sounds like a done deal, but I've had an email asking for my opinion as a Lewes FC owner. Wonder if there will be a ballot and if owners views, or directors wishes will be the deciding factor?

The original ethos at Lewes was for the Men and Women Teams to have equal resources, but with the call for Womens Championship clubs, like Lewes, to become professional that would make it very unlikely, so the Women's team would have much more under this take over.

I'm confused and unsure. Needs careful consideration as the scraps from an enhanced Womens Team could be considerable for the men, but at what cost? Who knows what a takeover consortium might want to do in the future?
It's really tricky isn't it............general ethos of the overall club vs the women being competitive - no chance of the latter long term unless they have a lot more money to spend. They're already full-time pro (started last season), but only because some staff salaries are funded by FA grants etc. The 'scraps' you mention could be huge though - they've already had a new pitch at a cost of 750k which wouldn't have happened without the women's team.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country

They must have been a bit naive if they thought this wouldn't get out!

Presumably the bit in italics was meant to keep the potential investors happy, then when it gets splurged all over the Guardian they can just hold their hands up and say "well, we did try......."

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Presumably the bit in italics was meant to keep the potential investors happy, then when it gets splurged all over the Guardian they can just hold their hands up and say "well, we did try......."
Public now

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Slightly off topic, I’m planning to go to the Lewes game tomorrow before our one. What’s the likelihood of me making kick off getting a train from Lewes at 4:45?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Who makes the decisions at a fan owned club. Or is the fan owned bit just a way of raising money.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Slightly off topic, I’m planning to go to the Lewes game tomorrow before our one. What’s the likelihood of me making kick off getting a train from Lewes at 4:45?
I'm sure I've done a 3pm Pan>Am double matchday before and didn't have to leave early

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
They're filming a Wrexham sequel doc about Lewes Women as well at the moment. Massive PR blitz to support the split I reckon. Agree with other above, the existing setup is kind of unsustainable.

If the Men's team continues current form, then they'll be League 2 before you can say "Ollie Tanner"

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Who makes the decisions at a fan owned club. Or is the fan owned bit just a way of raising money.
A vote by fans on anything that falls into the terms of reference of ownership. The Bundesliga does a similar model pretty well while remaining profitable, attractive to many of the best players in the world, keeping ticket prices at a level most of the population can afford without bankrupting themselves, and enabling the national team to play at the highest level. It also means no club can be taken over by a murderous, torturing, medieval regime for example. Or by dodgy Russian gangsters intent on helping a club buy it's way to success, or corrupt politicians guilty of money laundering and looking for ways to sports-wash their reputation. Thankfully the FA's "fit and proper" test prevents those things happening here too. :moo:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

This.

As a fan owner I'll keep schtum on any details. I'm sure others have spilled them.

I think it's a great idea. Would rather see a genuine Women's team in WSL rather than just the big 6 who have pretty much land grabbed the women's game.

The real pioneers of the women's game - teams like Doncaster Belles and the original Lionesses (Millwall) - have just been left behind while mega rich owners chuck some loose change at the game and steam roller away. I mean, seriously, how committed are the Glazer's to the women's game? What have they ever done to advance it? What will they do? Nothing. They just want a nice shiny women's team.

And, this will aid the men's team through greater exposure.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A vote by fans on anything that falls into the terms of reference of ownership. The Bundesliga does a similar model pretty well while remaining profitable, attractive to many of the best players in the world, keeping ticket prices at a level most of the population can afford without bankrupting themselves, and enabling the national team to play at the highest level. It also means no club can be taken over by a murderous, torturing, medieval regime for example. Or by dodgy Russian gangsters intent on helping a club buy it's way to success, or corrupt politicians guilty of money laundering and looking for ways to sports-wash their reputation. Thankfully the FA's "fit and proper" test prevents those things happening here too. :moo:

Maybe I am wrong but was told 1000s had contributed to ownership scheme at £50 a time. If that is true that is a lot of money at that level.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
If Lewes women were to go up would the ground be up to top division standard?

It always puzzled me why Brighton ladies didn't play at the training ground rather than Crawley but someone on here told me it was due to the ground grading not being enough for the top division. Is the Dripping Pan any better than the ground at Shoreham?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If Lewes women were to go up would the ground be up to top division standard?

It always puzzled me why Brighton ladies didn't play at the training ground rather than Crawley but someone on here told me it was due to the ground grading not being enough for the top division. Is the Dripping Pan any better than the ground at Shoreham?
The Dripping Pan is probably better than the training ground, Lewes had many ground improvements before the start of last season including a new pitch.
The Dripping Pan is also set up well for paying supporters.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

It appears they were in discussions, then made aware it was going to be in the press so they made owners aware

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Isn't there a train strike?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here