Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Consistently winning

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I find this a bit odd. We won two consecutive games on four occasions last season (once under Potter, three times under RDZ) and obviously once this season. Four out of the five subsequent games have been defeats against opposition you wouldn't necessarily put down as favourites (2-1 Fulham, 1-2 Villa, 2-2 Leicester, 1-5 Everton, 1-3 West Ham).

Is it a weird quirk or is there something behind it?

Not that it's really an issue as long as we are getting points on the board, but it's a bit concerning that our runs of form only seem to last a couple of games.

I get that it's the nature of the beast with no easy games in the PL but it does seem a bit strange that we don't ever seem to be able to hold our form, despite how good the team clearly are.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
As I said, not really an issue if we are getting the points on the board... but it does seem weird that good form is so fleeting for us.
Yeah, but I think it just shows that we are pretty consistent overall, and last season it often worked in our favour, some games didn't work in our favour. Similar to the start to this season. Consistent in approach and application, different result today compared to previous two games. If we continue similarly then we're in for another good season! But I feel we need a few more signings, and that RDZ needs to work out how to adapt to the low block and explosive counter or we'll lose more games this season with more teams adopting that, or similar, approach v us

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Yeah, I've started to see that trend. I think it comes down to a few factors:
  • Teams acknowledging the weaknesses of our squad
  • Poor refereeing
  • Lack of squad depth
However the Premier League does provide a difficult schedule, and consistently winning is a tough ask for most teams - like ourselves.
In fact, no team has won 3 games in a row so far this season (unless Man City beat Sheffield United today) so I'm not concerned.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
  • Poor refereeing
  • Lack of squad depth
However the Premier League does provide a difficult schedule, and consistently winning is a tough ask for most teams - like ourselves.
In fact, no team has won 3 games in a row so far this season (unless Man City beat Sheffield United today) so I'm not concerned.
True, but if you look at the teams around us last season for example; Villa managed a run of 7 wins from 9 without defeat, Liverpool managed 7 in a row and undefeated in 11, Brentford went 12 games unbeaten, winning 6 of those (including City away, Liverpool at home and Arsenal away), Fulham did four wins on the spin.

It just seems weird to me. Yes, it really doesn't matter as long as we are getting points, but I'm sure this lack of consistency is something of an anomaly. What the cause of it is and whether it's an issue is an open question.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
  • Poor refereeing
  • Lack of squad depth
Or it might suggest that we struggle to beat teams who defend deep and in numbers? We were ponderous yesterday (in attack, but also on defence) and played into their hands. It felt more like a Potter game than a de Zerbi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here