Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Conor Gallagher should go to a bigger bolder club like Villa

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think he would fit in lovely with RDZ, loves to press and knows where the goal is.

I do think though if a Villa or West Ham were to be interested he would end up there though as they would pay a lot more

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He’d be a much better fit at Villa. He is not technical enough for DeZerbi ball.
I really can’t see us signing CG anyway, imho his wage demands would be double that of say Dunk, Lallana, Milner. Aston Villa are big payers.
Two very good points.

I know he is an England international etc.. but I just don’t think he’s that good, and certainly not an improvement on what we have. When I hear we’re signing/interested in a player, I always think will he improve us and where….. obviously my opinion etc.

His touch is ordinary, as @hans kraay fan club highlighted he gets booked a lot, that is because his second touch is clumsy and often ends up in a tackle.

He runs around a lot and fans like someone who looks like they’re ‘giving everything to the cause’, but I see him chasing down blind alleys, and not disciplined enough to press as part of a team unit.

Not for me.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Two very good points.

I know he is an England international etc.. but I just don’t think he’s that good, and certainly not an improvement on what we have. When I hear we’re signing/interested in a player, I always think will he improve us and where….. obviously my opinion etc.

His touch is ordinary, as @hans kraay fan club highlighted he gets booked a lot, that is because his second touch is clumsy and often ends up in a tackle.

He runs around a lot and fans like someone who looks like they’re ‘giving everything to the cause’, but I see him chasing down blind alleys, and not disciplined enough to press as part of a team unit.

Not for me.
Another point is that we have a limited transfer budget. The cost of replacing Caicedo, buying or replacing Colwill and purchasing a right back such as Boey or Livramento could be £100m. We’re not going to be splashing cash unless we really need a position filled. RDZ already has plenty of options for the role Gallagher plays in.

Last edited:

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

Not for me.
This bit just makes him sound like Craig Mackail-Smith.

There’s better midfield options out there. Federico Redondo from Argentinos Juniors or Fabrizio Diaz from Liverpool FC (the Uruguayan club) both have a higher ceiling.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This bit just makes him sound like Craig Mackail-Smith.

There’s better midfield options out there. Federico Redondo from Argentinos Juniors or Fabrizio Diaz from Liverpool FC (the Uruguayan club) both have a higher ceiling.
To be honest a lot better than CMS, but whilst a little tongue in cheek, I also highlighted this yesterday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He'd fit perfectly at Villa. A half decent, annoying shit of a player playing for a half decent, annoying shit of a team.
Yep I just don't get the lazy thinking behind 'Villa Top 4?'

They've now got a proper professional manager.
He replaced the exact opposite.

Their fantastic run of results doesn't look so fantastic when compared to the league table.

They are totally reliant on Oily Wetkins goals, Martinez not putting the ball in play, and 6 points from us.

More likely to be fighting (but comfortably winning) relegation than Europe.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
I really can’t see us signing CG anyway, imho his wage demands would be double that of say Dunk, Lallana, Milner. Aston Villa are big payers.
Gallagher is on less at Chelsea than what Dunk and Lallana are on here. I’d imagine Milner would be on a similar amount to Lallana when he joins on 1st July

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Not for me, Clive I’ve seen quite a bit of him (I watch too much football) and I can’t see him fitting in how we play. I’ve never seen him play in a pivot role, let alone in a possession based style with quick passing under tight conditions.

I’ve also never seen him work as a floating ten, although he does play quite advanced particularly when chasing a game.

My assessment is he is a hard-running old fashioned box to box midfielder. He can look lightweight and take too many touches - losing possession - whilst also getting caught ahead of play too frequently.

I just don’t think he fits into our system, and big question marks about his technical ability. I haven’t checked his fbref so this is solely on my “scouting” assessment from watching him on the telly.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Despite the negativity on here, we aren't going to sign a player simply because they're available or a useful makeweight in a bigger deal. If we do sign him, you can be damned sure that De Zerbi and the recruitment team know a hell of a lot more about his underlying numbers and potential than some of the (I'm sure knowledgeable) posters on an internet chat room.

All about opinions, of course, but he was absolutely superb in a Palace team that was actually on an upward trajectory for a change. It's no huge surprise it stalled when he left and wasn't adequately replaced.

In addition, it's impossible to understate the value a genuinely top coach adds to a player's development. I'd argue that he's never worked for either a great, or settled coach. If De Zerbi can improve March and Steele to previously unexpected levels, I suspect he can do the same with Gallagher

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here