Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Congratulations Wayne Rooney

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You have to say congratulations to Rooney, he is the best current England player to be fair. But just like all the others I can't help but look back on his England career with disappointment. The England team has been hard to get excited about for most of his career so its probably not really his fault.

Breaking this record should be a massive thing but for me it is just..... meh.

If he is going to be thought of as one of the greats, then give us a performance in a major finals. This is where he lives in the shadows of Charlton....... and Lineker come to that.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
No doubt my nan would be pleased if she were still alive. Can't imagine what's to dislike about the total tosser, personally.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There are one or two realistic comments on this thread but it contains far too many plastic mancs for my liking. Wayne Rooney will always be remembered as a decent player but northing special unless he does well in a major tournament. He scored a hatful of goals, yes, but mostly against crappy opposition in meaningless matches.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
There are one or two realistic comments on this thread but it contains far too many plastic mancs for my liking. Wayne Rooney will always be remembered as a decent player but northing special unless he does well in a major tournament. He scored a hatful of goals, yes, but mostly against crappy opposition in meaningless matches.

What's "plastic manc" about recognising a players special achievement. I'd've started this thread even if he'd played for Palace :shrug:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Over the last few years easily our best player and an amazing achievement

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
25 different teams.

ITV showed a breakdown of the opponents he scored against in fact it was probably about 25 teams and all the top teams were included as teams he scored against.. This idea of against nobodies is a myth put out by his detractors.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
ITV showed a breakdown of the opponents he scored against in fact it was probably about 25 teams and all the top teams were included as teams he scored against.. This idea of against nobodies is a myth put out by his detractors.

I agree, the 2 Euro Championships and 1 World Cup we won in this period only go to show........

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Love the criticisms. :lolol:
One-eyed or what!

For the record he has scored 36 of his goals in competitive matches. Just 14 in "meaningless" friendlies.
He has set a record that will quite probably outlive anyone on here.
Not too bad for "nothing" but as some seem keen to point out Charlton won the World Cup on his own, Greaves (a personal hero fwiw) surely also played a vital role in those finals? No?
And Linekar and Shearer well........they won as many championships as.................well

Wayne Rooney

Last edited:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Love the criticisms. :lolol:
One-eyed or what!

For the record he has scored 36 of his goals in competitive matches. Just 14 in "meaningless" friendliest.
He has set a record that will quite probably outlive anyone on here.
Not too bad for "nothing".

And "nothing" is precisely what England have won. 1966 we lost our main man and still won.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It's a fantastic achievement by Wayne. You don't become both England's and Manchester United's (nearly) highest ever scorer if you're not a seriously top quality player.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some surprising comments on here IMHO. He's got an almost 1 in 2 ratio in Internationals, and is our highest ever goalscorer (and as has been pointed out, the team have been shit/underperformed for much of that time). We positively DRIBBLE over Leo, who ratio for us, in the second tier, was similar.

FFS, Rooney is a very, very good footballer. I don't like him much as a person, but I don't have to speak to him so don't really care. He'll be top of the record books for donkeys years. Fair play to him.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
And "nothing" is precisely what England have won. 1966 we lost our main man and still won.

And nothing is probably what we will win in the next 50 years in fairness but it won't detract from the honour of playing for your country. Just find it odd that those who achieve what is surely every kids' ambition are then subject to being so roundly slagged off.

Who was our "main man" in '66 out of interest?
Not Jimmy Greaves. He was briefly injured but fit and available to play in the final stages but Ramsey preferred Roger Hunt........something for which he should (in my opinion) have been refused his knighthood :lolol:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
And nothing is probably what we will win in the next 50 years in fairness but it won't detract from the honour of playing for your country. Just find it odd that those who achieve what is surely every kids' ambition are then subject to being so roundly slagged off.

Who was our "main man" in '66 out of interest?
Not Jimmy Greaves. He was briefly injured but fit and available to play in the final stages but Ramsey preferred Roger Hunt........something for which he should (in my opinion) have been refused his knighthood :lolol:

My point is that for all the 'world class' hype surrounding Rooney the jury is still out amongst fans and pundits alike. Moments of greatness are balanced by many incidents of mediocre performances. True GREATS perform on the World stage, something that he has not (as of yet) managed to do. Personally I would love him to prove me wrong next year but recent Man U performances would indicate otherwise. Maybe he's like CMS and being played in the wrong position at club level?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here