Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Congratulations to the University of Northampton

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's nice that it's your turn to lend Harty your log on details. How much did he pay you?

80s? I think 1974 would be more appropriate for Harty.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
What's the "explicit material" that they refer to?

I seem to remember that there are sex scenes between Winston & Julia. To be honest the trigger warning for '1984' should be:

"This is the most stark and desolate thing you will ever read. It will depress you, and strip you of any faith that humanity can progress. You'll be left with absolutely no hope, just an abiding image of an inescapable boot stamping on a face forever."

It's apparently one of the books that people most commonly say they've read when they haven't. You can tell the people who really have read it, by asking them whether they enjoyed it. The correct response is: 'ENJOYED IT ?!?!' followed by a long, long silence and a thousand yard stare. Some may be able to recover enough to shake their heads and mumble that even 'Waiting For Godot' had some jokes in it.

Its an absolutely brilliant piece of work.

Don't read it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What's the "explicit material" that they refer to?

Not sure. I think it's this bit:

Winston looked pensive; agitated even.
Julia spoke softly but quickly, aware that even the act of being seen together would be enough to bring them to the attention of the authorities.
"What is it?" she whispered. "You seem so distant. I wish you'd let me inside you head, darling. I wish you'd tell me what you are thinking."
Winston made as if to speak but he knew she wouldn't understand. So he said nothing.
"Are you still remembering," she probed. "Remembering life before Big Bozza and his faceless moderators who ban posters until we all just forget they ever existed?"
"Oh, balls to all that," Winston replied. "I was wondering why my ST wallet says the next game is Spurs on 31 May at 23.59hrs."

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Brilliant author, brilliant novel - if this report is genuine the world has gone mad

Don't worry, given the poster and the places reporting this it's almost certainly not.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
I seem to remember that there are sex scenes between Winston & Julia. To be honest the trigger warning for '1984' should be:

"This is the most stark and desolate thing you will ever read. It will depress you, and strip you of any faith that humanity can progress. You'll be left with absolutely no hope, just an abiding image of an inescapable boot stamping on a face forever."

It's apparently one of the books that people most commonly say they've read when they haven't. You can tell the people who really have read it, by asking them whether they enjoyed it. The correct response is: 'ENJOYED IT ?!?!' followed by a long, long silence and a thousand yard stare. Some may be able to recover enough to shake their heads and mumble that even 'Waiting For Godot' had some jokes in it.

Don't read it.

But the bit about the rats.

Aaagh!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Julia spoke softly but quickly, aware that even the act of being seen together would be enough to bring them to the attention of the authorities.
"What is it?" she whispered. "You seem so distant. I wish you'd let me inside you head, darling. I wish you'd tell me what you are thinking."
Winston made as if to speak but he knew she wouldn't understand. So he said nothing.
"Are you still remembering," she probed. "Remembering life before Big Bozza and his faceless moderators who ban posters until we all just forget they ever existed?"
"Oh, balls to all that," Winston replied. "I was wondering why my ST wallet says the next game is Spurs on 31 May at 23.59hrs."

just checked, all is ok, I've got Burnley next

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Wonder if the great Botanical book "Lady Chatterly's Back Garden" will be triggered.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Apparently it was on a reading list that included a list of themes in each book so students could make an informed choice about whether it was something they might want to read? Not a trigger warning? Such a non-story.

Why are people making out it's leftist "wokeism" too? This is a book that's on the most challenged list for the American Library Association because it's too left-wing for some, and actually removed from study by some religious, right-wing school boards because of that same content Northampton are informing students about. Feels like a bit of an own goal if the right is trying to suggest the left is more intolerant.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Don't read it.

For the hard of reading the film is a cheery little number. :rolleyes:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I seem to remember that there are sex scenes between Winston & Julia.

The sex scenes, if you can even call them that, are far from graphic. I reread it in Spanish a couple of years ago and don't recall any detailed description of Winston and Julia's trysts.

Hopefully, the trigger warning impels students to read it, rather like an explicit lyrics sticker.

Jan 30, 2008
Staff at said University have issued a trigger warning for George Orwell’s novel 1984 on the grounds that it contains ‘explicit material’ which some students may find ‘offensive and upsetting’.

It would be amusing if it weren't so sad.

Big Brother is watching YOU.

Woke watch

Regards
DF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Moron watch

up-arrow-2206688-1853786.png

:lolol:

Apparently it was on a reading list that included a list of themes in each book so students could make an informed choice about whether it was something they might want to read? Not a trigger warning? Such a non-story.

Why are people making out it's leftist "wokeism" too? This is a book that's on the most challenged list for the American Library Association because it's too left-wing for some, and actually removed from study by some religious, right-wing school boards because of that same content Northampton are informing students about. Feels like a bit of an own goal if the right is trying to suggest the left is more intolerant.

Yeah, but you can prove anything with facts :rolleyes:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Maybe better for your blood pressure than spending all day every day scanning the 'Daily Express' 'Daily Mail' & 'GB News' looking for stories that you can get angry about :shrug:

Says the nearly an OAP who spends all day every day scanning NSC looking for posts by his head tenants that he can get angry about, what a dunce [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Says the nearly an OAP who spends all day every day scanning NSC looking for posts by his head tenants that he can get angry about, what a dunce [emoji2357]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CSE English unclassified, I'm guessing :wink:

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!

:laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here