[Albion] Conclusions from the ESL fiasco .......

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Jesus wept. It will fail as the first one did. Shame on any English club that takes part.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm coming round to the idea that maybe the Big 5 should all f*ck off:

1. Of the previous 55 domestic trophies over 19 years the Big 5 (Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City) have won 47 (and 23 of the last 25).
2. Of the rest of the Prem clubs only Leicester (2) and Spurs have won anything in that time.
3. Only 7 teams have won the Prem in 29 years. 9 different sides won the title in the preceding 29 seasons, 13 in the 29 seasons before that.
4. In stark contrast, in the last 29 seasons there have been 15 different winners of the Superbowl, 16 different winners of the World Series, 12 different winners of the NBA.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1. Of the previous 55 domestic trophies over 19 years the Big 5 (Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City) have won 47 (and 23 of the last 25).
2. Of the rest of the Prem clubs only Leicester (2) and Spurs have won anything in that time.
3. Only 7 teams have won the Prem in 29 years. 9 different sides won the title in the preceding 29 seasons, 13 in the 29 seasons before that.
4. In stark contrast, in the last 29 seasons there have been 15 different winners of the Superbowl, 16 different winners of the World Series, 12 different winners of the NBA.

You can't bring US sport into this.

The entire structure of American sport is geared towards stopping dynasties.
Its weirdly communist in set up.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's also designed so that if you aren't in the top division, you never can be and never will be. That's rather less admirable.

Agreed. And I hate that they can move to another city as MK Dons did. But the levelling of resources is pretty good.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

You're seriously comparing American franchises with sport?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You can't bring US sport into this.

The entire structure of American sport is geared towards stopping dynasties.
Its weirdly communist in set up.

??? communist? groups of privately owned franchises, leagues run more like McDonalds.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Euro football expert Andy Brassell said this week that this is a non starter.

Real, Barca and Juve, now isolated, have engineered this threat, as a bargaining chip to get out of costly penalties for starting the ESL coming their way.

Europe’s top clubs are heading for a 40% increase each in CL monies coming their way from 2023/24, quelling any true appetite for a breakaway league from other clubs. English clubs for example are all out.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You're seriously comparing American franchises with sport?

For anyone interested in American sports, one of the big attractions is that in any given season there are usually a dozen sides in contention of winning the whole thing. I know there are reasons for that, but the sheer openness of competition is refreshing and exciting.

Contrast that with the Prem where many fans at the start of the season will have picked Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea top 3 and Burnley, Norwich, Watford bottom 3.

The bottom line is the Big 5 will win everything and VAR will f*ck things up along the way.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I draw the opposite conclusion from the same data. Back in the day (>38 years ago), with small crowds, shitty facilities, a recently ended salary cap, and no live TV coverage, it was much more a lottery, with scope for thuggery and bribery (Leeds) buying the small advantage that occasionally won the league. And frankly, there was less interest. Bumley won it in 1960. 'Did it?' said nobody at the time.

As for superbowl and NBA, the whole set up is franchised, with the leagues manipulated to maximise ITV-style 'excitement', TV ad-friendly interruptions, and mindless tedium. The draft. FFS. No, nay, never.

The EPL may be annoying with its dodgy super rich owners, but it is better than the old first division in every respect. And the old first division has nothing whatsoever in common with NBA or Superbowl.

Maybe there will be some changes over EPL club ownership. Who knows? But it is far far better than all that made-up bollocks the yanks seem to love.

Anyway, from the mid 70s Liverpool won the league in 10 out of 15 seasons. Before anyone starts a spreadsheet to explain how, and that this was all lovely and quite different from today, I see no difference. There is a massive chance element at work, and statistical clustering. Every club starts the season with a probablility of winning something. This guarantees nothing, even if it may seem at the time (especially just after the time) that everything is nailed on. ManU are by far the richest club (leave Toon out of it till next season) yet they haven't won the EPL for 9 seasons.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For anyone interested in American sports, one of the big attractions is that in any given season there are usually a dozen sides in contention of winning the whole thing. I know there are reasons for that, but the sheer openness of competition is refreshing and exciting.

Contrast that with the Prem where many fans at the start of the season will have picked Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea top 3 and Burnley, Norwich, Watford bottom 3.

The bottom line is the Big 5 will win everything and VAR will f*ck things up along the way.

VAR? I love a bit of VAR, me.

Don't they use it in the heralded Superbowl and NBA? ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They are all so lost to the $$$.

This is more about using the potential to earn money as a lever to rig the game so they can 'earn' a bigger slice of the pie.

But they are not going to succeed unless they break away since I am not sure that the owners of the clubs outside the 'big' six will clamour to, for example, lose their right to 'qualify' for the 'champions' league' because, like West Ham, they fade and die (sorry, I meant 'have an inadequate historical record' according to new rules).

If turkeys won't vote for Christmas because they have realized what's on the menu, they are unlikely to change their mind if offered the chance to pull a cracker. Innit.

However, small tinkering with competitions has always happened. I won't get upset until A Dullard explains to me that I should.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This is more about using the potential to earn money as a lever to rig the game so they can 'earn' a bigger slice of the pie.

Which in my opinion, when all's said and done, boils down to chasing the dollar.Maximise exposure, maximise chance to win, maximise revenue. And with unfair competition.

I wonder if it would be open to court challenges as it seems more anti-competitive to me than our already woeful setup.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports