Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Computer Scam

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I got a call today from a very convincing fella saying he was from Microsoft Windows and that my software had alerted them of a severe virus and that he was calling to fix it. He wanted me to perform a few tasks to help him isolate the issue etc.

Anyway I didn't fall for it but he was very persistent ... I even got him to give me a number so I could call and verify. it was an 0208 number so that pretty well did it for me.

I got a number for Microsoft and they confirmed this is a big scam right now and and easy way for hackers to get into all your stuff.

I'd never heard of it and it was convincing, they knew my name and address (phone book?)

Anyway, watch out!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I know a few people that have fallen for it.

Pure and simple: Microsoft have no way of knowing what is on your computer and wouldn't call individuals.

I got one the other week...dragged it out for a few minutes before telling him i had a macbook. Got a few seconds of silence then a dialing tone :D

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I've had this sort of call several times. I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about being exceptionally rude to them.

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
I saw something about this on one of those watchdog type programs, believe the program was called fake Britain. When i saw it on the TV i remember thinking, I'm sure I've had someone ring me before and try that on me.. A week went by and low and behold my phone rang and there was a nice man doing exactly that. This time i got him off the phone quickly by simply telling him I didn't have a computer.. Next time I'm gonna keep him on the phone for as long as possible and wind him right up!! bastards..

D

Deleted member 22389

Does it not annoy you that these companies keep calling and have managed to get hold of our personal information.

Everytime I ask these people where they got my number they always put the phone down. I expect that, but I'm bored with winding them up now.

Wish the government would clamp down on these call centres calling us at all hours. They should issue a fine, if they cannot provide proof of where they got hold of our telephone numbers and personal information.

I certainly never handed my personal details over to these call centres. I wonder what other information they have about us.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
How would Microsoft know your phone number ? I'm pretty sure you never need it to register anything with them.

I asked them and they said that when I bought my PC (coincidence that I had 3 months ago) my details were registered by the supplier. I did work out it was total garbage but for the unsuspecting (a fair few I'd imagine) it could sound plausible. I can't deny of all the scams I've been exposed to this was by far the one that wasn't immediately obvious. It was only when he gave me an 0208 number and I called it and it was immediately answered (no IVR/menu's) that I really knew I was being had.

To carry it on I then Googled to find Microsoft number and took the first one that looked like it did what I wanted I called it and again got an Indian fella. He said it would never be MS as they didn't call but he'd be happy to help ... so he told me to hit start, I did then type in run ... I did then enter logmein123 or something so I did .. and it tried to download a file ... so then I get worried again and hang up .... now what happened there? Are there scammers appearing on page 1 of Google search? In this case it was an 0800 number too ... gonna try and find it and go back to the action fraud people and see what they are all about

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
I've had this sort of call several times. I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about being exceptionally rude to them.

me too, they are scum.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Want to really piss these callers off?

Pretend you have no idea about pcs. Get them to take you through the process. Just be really thick, 'Enter button??', 'Browser?'. Anyway, make it last 20 mins or so. My pc was off by the way, I was just making tapping noises.. When they think you have reached the end, tell them a message has appeared on the screen. When I told him it said ' f*** off you f***ing scammer', he didn't like it very much. LMAO.

D

Deleted member 22389

I used too but I am bored with it now. I'm going to look deeper in to this and find out how they get hold our numbers and personal information in the first place. If they are buying lists from companies in the UK, and we have not asked for our information to be passed on, I think this is illegal?. If these numbers are being obtained illegally through the internet this is something that also needs to be locked at.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Never tell anyone who rings up out of the blue anything - do not even comfirm your name. Ask them who they are - this Microsoft scam has been going for months and I was rung yesterday by an Indian sounding "Daniel Johnson".

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I used too but I am bored with it now. I'm going to look deeper in to this and find out how they get hold our numbers

They get it out of the phone book ... they don't have any other information other than name and address. In this case when I asked him what sort of PC I had he said he didn't have that info he was just a Microsoft Engineer and didn't have any other info - again a pretty big give away

As for the other nuisance calls you get, stuff like PPI claims and general selling it's all phone book stuff again or where you've give your number and said it's OK to pass on or you didn't but they ignored it. You can go to TPS and register for no calls but it's pretty hit and miss and obviously zero impact on the scammers

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I used too but I am bored with it now. I'm going to look deeper in to this and find out how they get hold our numbers and personal information in the first place. If they are buying lists from companies in the UK, and we have not asked for our information to be passed on, I think this is illegal?. If these numbers are being obtained illegally through the internet this is something that also needs to be locked at.

Thing is, a lot of the time the numbers are passed on legally - they will put them in the Terms & Conditions of their registration process and many people agree to them when entering them online...it's just that no bugger reads the T&C's when they sign up to them :p

I got one of these about a year ago and just left him on the phone for ages.

I have since purchased a VERY loud whistle which will be used if I get another one.

D

Deleted member 22389

Thing is, a lot of the time the numbers are passed on legally - they will put them in the Terms & Conditions of their registration process and many people agree to them when entering them online...it's just that no bugger reads the T&C's when they sign up to them :p

Your probably right there. I don't know how many sites I have signed up to and never read the terms and conditions. However I am sure a lot of our personal information gets handed over illegally.

It would be good if these companies would release details of who they hand our information out to.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I know a few people that have fallen for it.

Pure and simple: Microsoft have no way of knowing what is on your computer and wouldn't call individuals.

Calling aside, does the PC not send diagnostics to Microsoft? This might be anonymous though, but sure they do?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Aren't they just using different permutations of the localised numbers that start with the recognised prefix's ?

No need to buy numbers from third parties.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Calling aside, does the PC not send diagnostics to Microsoft? This might be anonymous though, but sure they do?

They probably do, but i really doubt that it would include such information as what is stored on your computer etc is sent - and if it was, they wouldn't phone people up individually to deal with them :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here