Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Computer help needed.

I am fairly savvy when it comes to computers but I have problem which I don't know how to get round, hopefully someone on NSC may be able to help me.

I have a USB memory stick from work that has all the files on it protected by Symantec Endpoint Protection and I can't access these files on my home computer, my home computer is a Mac. The files are just recognised as XML files which they are not!
I don't have any Symantec products on my Mac, but I have tried accessing the the said files on my old man's computer which is Windows based and has Norton Internet Security on it. I was still unable to access the files on the USB stick.
Any ideas?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I am fairly savvy when it comes to computers but I have problem which I don't know how to get round, hopefully someone on NSC may be able to help me.

I have a USB memory stick from work that has all the files on it protected by Symantec Endpoint Protection and I can't access these files on my home computer, my home computer is a Mac. The files are just recognised as XML files which they are not!
I don't have any Symantec products on my Mac, but I have tried accessing the the said files on my old man's computer which is Windows based and has Norton Internet Security on it. I was still unable to access the files on the USB stick.
Any ideas?

Might it be that you will need to have Symantec Endpoint Protection in order to open the files?

bpbill

Jul 13, 2011

Any ideas?

Do you work for a large Government organisation?

I suggest dumping the USB in the nearest bin along with all the relevant paperwork.

Might it be that you will need to have Symantec Endpoint Protection in order to open the files?

Yes that was what I was thinking but if possible I was thinking I may have been able to use Norton instead or there may be another way round the problem!

I suggest dumping the USB in the nearest bin along with all the relevant paperwork.

I could tell you who I work for, but then I'd have to kill you.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought Symantec Endpoint ran on the machine - your work machine - to stop the copying of protected documents and data from your corporate device and off the network.

I don't think Endpoint runs on the USB key itself.

I thought Symantec Endpoint ran on the machine - your work machine - to stop the copying of protected documents and data from your corporate device and off the network.

I don't think Endpoint runs on the USB key itself.

You are correct Endpoint Protection runs on my work computer, but the files on the USB are encrypted, hence the reason I can't access them. Nothing sinister going on, I just want to do some union work on my home computer which happens to be on my USB stick.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
It could be file permissions. If the USB files have been tagged by your work PC with a username then they will only ever be able to view them
via that username being logged in, eg only on your work PC

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
When are you next at work?

It could be file permissions. If the USB files have been tagged by your work PC with a username then they will only ever be able to view them
via that username being logged in, eg only on your work PC

I can access the files via my USB stick on any computer at work via my own log on and a generic log in.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Sounds like the USB stick has been encrypted. Are you having problems with any file on the USB stick or is just the work ones?

We use McAfee Endpoint encryption at work, but USB drives are set up to not be encrypted, so when files are moved from the encrypted hard drive on the workstation to the USB, they are decrypted allowing you to view or use the files on any other system, including Macs.

If the USB is encrypted, then you need to copy all files to your encrypted workstation, reformat the USB on a non-work PC, plug the USB back into your workstation, and then copy all of the files back to the USB which should decrypt them all.

Of course, this is completely moot if your IT department have set your system up so that any USB plugged in becomes automatically encrypted.

Sounds like the USB stick has been encrypted. Are you having problems with any file on the USB stick or is just the work ones?

We use McAfee Endpoint encryption at work, but USB drives are set up to not be encrypted, so when files are moved from the encrypted hard drive on the workstation to the USB, they are decrypted allowing you to view or use the files on any other system, including Macs.

If the USB is encrypted, then you need to copy all files to your encrypted workstation, reformat the USB on a non-work PC, plug the USB back into your workstation, and then copy all of the files back to the USB which should decrypt them all.

Of course, this is completely moot if your IT department have set your system up so that any USB plugged in becomes automatically encrypted.

That sounds about right, I will give your suggestion a go. Thanks very much.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Exactly, those files are encrypted and you need the corresponding Symantic so0ftware to decrypt them. A tall order on a Mac.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
i dont know why i open these computer threads, im a right computer spacker

:dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here