Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Computer Help Needed Please

D

Deleted member 22389

2 years ago I bought my mum a laptop. Soon after I upgraded it to Windows 8.1.

The computer is a Compaq, it has 6GB of RAM and the processor is an AMD E1 1200 APU with Rasen HD Graphics, 1.4 Ghz.

She uses it for emails and Skype, in the main.

It is really slow, and seems to take an eternity to do anything. I regularly clear the browser history.

Am I expecting too much from this computer? Is it possible to upgrade the processor, and if so is it a straight-forward job? If not, does anyone know of any good computer technicians, and roughly how much it would cost?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Seems to me that whatever your mums machine is running it is eating away at her memory, I mean 6GB is massive. Should imagine Compaq installed a load of crap on top of Windows, and probably all this stuff appears in the taskbar when the machine starts, you could help your mums machine by stopping some of these programs at start up.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
If your mum is spending a majority of her time on the internet you could install a Linux distribution such as Mint. It's now so easy to install Linux, it will pick up your hardware, and you don't need to worry about viruses, spyware, you wont get any more hassles and having to go around sorting things out because the machine will need still be as good as the day you installed. Just a possible solution. If you install Linux Mint it will also split the hard drive for you so can keep windows.

Hardware detection is brilliant. I recently moved a hard drive with Linux Mint from a netbook to a laptop, and it booted perfectly. Moving a dual-boot Window/Ubuntu disk the other way, only Linux survived! Reinstalling clean versions of the operating systems took 45 minutes for Linux Mint on the netbook (including downloading and creating an installation DVD), while Windows 7 took two attempts, two days, and a million reboots on the more powerful laptop.

If you dual boot, remember to install Linux AFTER Windows - Linux plays nice, but Windows would overwrite Linux.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Seems to me that whatever your mums machine is running it is eating away at her memory, I mean 6GB is massive. Should imagine Compaq installed a load of crap on top of Windows, and probably all this stuff appears in the taskbar when the machine starts, you could help your mums machine by stopping some of these programs at start up.

Run msconfig!!!!!

D

Deleted member 22389

Hardware detection is brilliant. I recently moved a hard drive with Linux Mint from a netbook to a laptop, and it booted perfectly. Moving a dual-boot Window/Ubuntu disk the other way, only Linux survived! Reinstalling clean versions of the operating systems took 45 minutes for Linux Mint on the netbook (including downloading and creating an installation DVD), while Windows 7 took two attempts, two days, and a million reboots on the more powerful laptop.

If you dual boot, remember to install Linux AFTER Windows - Linux plays nice, but Windows would overwrite Linux.

Annoying isn't it. Linux the free OS, less hassle than Windows. Now M$ stop you installing any other operating system on hardware you buy, unless it has been signed off by Microsoft.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2901...-boot-screws-where-does-that-leave-linux.html

It's my hardware M$ I will do what I want with it. It's one of the reasons I started learning and using Linux in the first place about 15 years ago. Was fed up with not having a choice and being locked in.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Thank you everyone for your advice. I have started by running msconfig and it has already made a difference!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I always had problems with WRA and it never worked reliably, also I often need to do what I need to without relatives being at their computer. They just turn TV on (letting me know the code/pwd) and I can do what I need to at my leisure. WRA isn't that secure either. It all may be better in W8 but I have used TV for years (I am doing this from a Mac too).

Note that you can use TeamViewer on Linux/mobiles/Macs/Windows so you could access her computer with Ubuntu from your Win8 PC.

Glad you mentioned this... Mum screwed up her email the other day, which would have made it almost impossible to connect via Windows Remote Assistance.

Luckily it "came back", but I decided to follow your suggestion - I've been using TeamViewer to control my Windows 8 desktop from my Android tablet, and controlling my Linux Mint netbook from my desktop. So much simpler to connect, so I've put it on her laptop and it will save me talking her through the tedious WRA set-up.

Many thanks, would recommend this to anyone supporting family and friends' computers.

Oh, I've not tried controlling Win 8 from my phone, that seemed a step too far!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here