Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Computer games from the 1980s

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Ah this takes me back. Early on we had one of those Binatone games consoles that had the little sticks on the screen and a square ball, was always jealous of mates that had the Atari consoles.

Paper round and helping the milkman made me enough to buy a Commodore 64.
Favourites on there were:

Beach Head
Talladega
Impossible Mission (I reckon it was impossible, never completed it)
International Karate

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Asteroids, in pubs - The Windsor Tavern especially :)
The original Super Mario.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
When a mate and I crossed America in in 1990, at every Greyhound bus terminal we stopped at we’d head straight for the arcade, him onto Miss Pacman me onto Galaga.

A few years ago I bought one of those cheap handheld retro games consoles (£5 on Ebay) with 200 games on it. Best. Purchase. Ever. (even if I only play Galaga on it)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
What was the Commodore Vic 20 (?) game where a plane went back and forth dropping bombs on buildings and getting lower and lower?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
3F142459-E9EA-4B91-B620-E01FB29C2FEB.png

Galaxian.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Loved the Ultimate Play The Game range, especially Atic Atak and Alien 8.
We had Spectrum 48k+ with cassette deck and Microdrive. Dad bought it for me and my brother before Christmas 1984 for a combined total of £314 (equivalent approx £700)
He then swapped it a year later for a C64 as it would be better for us apparently.
Then a year later he sold the C64 to his mate down the pub for a set of ladders :lol:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
How to be a complete ******* was fun the game was essentially to get drunk be sick everywhere and wee in plant pots

7b378eeee9a3c6eda5febfc5fba04bb4.jpg

bobbab5

Sep 5, 2003
Ely, Cambs.
Ah this takes me back. Early on we had one of those Binatone games consoles that had the little sticks on the screen and a square ball, was always jealous of mates that had the Atari consoles.

Paper round and helping the milkman made me enough to buy a Commodore 64.
Favourites on there were:

Beach Head
Talladega
Impossible Mission (I reckon it was impossible, never completed it)
International Karate

"Stay a while, stay for evvvveeerrr!"

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Loved the Ultimate Play The Game range, especially Atic Atak and Alien 8.
We had Spectrum 48k+ with cassette deck and Microdrive. Dad bought it for me and my brother before Christmas 1984 for a combined total of £314 (equivalent approx £700)
He then swapped it a year later for a C64 as it would be better for us apparently.
Then a year later he sold the C64 to his mate down the pub for a set of ladders :lol:

Was the mate's name Mario?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Yes, I got one recently. Only know a few of the games, bit annoying that you have to work out controls for each game, or what the objectives are. Impossible Mission was the game I used to play, but can't remember what I need to do!

On the upside, you can update the firmware and then load whatever games you want from a USB stick.

On the downside, the guy who made it outed himself as a complete arsehat by patent trolling a Youtuber with a history of mental health issues. This cost him a sale of the full size version of this released a few months ago. Also, there is quite a lag on a lot of TVs due to using HDMI which makes a lot of games unplayable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here