Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Completely pointless phrases in adverts, recipes, instructions etc

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
This, it turns out is completely unrelated because I misread the thread title, but I'm going to share it anyway.

You know many recipe websites have a whole load of pre-amble on each recipe page, meaning you have to scroll down, and down, and down before you finally get to the bit you're interested in?

Try this:

Oh my god. This is the best thing ever invented for the internet. My life is now complete. I absolutely cannot stand having to wade through a load of complete drivel to finally get to the recipe for what I want to cook. I don't care about your f***ing life story, I just want a nice dinner.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Any pub sign that advertises things like good beer, good food - etc. As if they would advertise 'Shite beer, crap food - come on in'.
See also: Nice hot cup of tea anyone?

No thanks, I’ll have a horrible cold one if you don’t mind.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was just looking at a recipe and it said 'Good Quality Beef Stock'. Lucky they said that as I was going to use a piss poor one :shrug:

And on ads for musicians 'no time wasters'. That'll be me then, better not apply :facepalm:

And over to NSC ...
I just realized that you have missed an r out of your title, but as a grade 1 arselicker you should be able to fix it. As a grade 1 arselicker myself maybe I could fix it for you. But I can't be bothered. There, I said it.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
You are trundling along the highway when you catch up with an artic lorry 🚛 and on the back are signs reading long vehicle, now quite simply if you don't realise that a hgv is almost certainly a long vehicle then really should you be driving?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Why hasn't some genius invented the mere 1% of germ killer the rest of the anti bacterial spray company giants seem unable to locate.

This could be the way forward,quoting a caller
Mary from Thunder Bay informed her local radio station on a post COVID hygiene phone in.

"I always buy 2 bottles of Det***, use a capful from one bottle and a half capful from the other,that way you know you've killed approximately 149% of all known germs, better safe than sorry"

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
This, it turns out is completely unrelated because I misread the thread title, but I'm going to share it anyway.

You know many recipe websites have a whole load of pre-amble on each recipe page, meaning you have to scroll down, and down, and down before you finally get to the bit you're interested in?

Try this:

Isn't that more time consuming than clicking on the Jump To Recipe button they all have?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
We had some Himalayan rock salt that had “the purest mineral content that had been formed over 2 million years”.

Regrettably I went to use it whilst cooking, and it turns out it had passed its sell-by date a week last Tuesday.

How unlucky is that FFS?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Directions to a secret nuclear bunker …

IMG_0729.jpeg

And a sign informing you that it is useless

IMG_0728.jpeg

Last edited:

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
They spell it "Wetherspoons"
The beer (ale) at my local 'Spoons is absolutely fine and nearly half the price of my usual local. No complaints here! I don’t dine out there but from what I can see it's in the cheap and cheerful category. If your needs are more refined, go elsewhere.

As for slogans, my bête noire are those slogans that sound clever but are ungrammatical and sort of trail off, meaning nothing. For instance, Rightmove's "Find your happy". I did have a list of them but can’t locate it at the moment. One grim tagline spotted recently when passing a Lexus garage was "Experience amazing".

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I just realized that you have missed an r out of your title, but as a grade 1 arselicker you should be able to fix it. As a grade 1 arselicker myself maybe I could fix it for you. But I can't be bothered. There, I said it.
You’re a very funny person @Harry Wilson's tackle - can we swap names? 🙂

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
This allergen warning on a box of eggs I bought.

Attachments

• 20230726_135712.jpg
    20230726_135712.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 40

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here