Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Complete list of football clichés

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
It wasn't a penalty (well actually if you read the papers it was)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
" he's put that shot in to row z "

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"sent the keeper the wrong way" - No, the keeper guessed that was and was wrong.

Not always true. Intelligent penalty takers are able to make the goalie think they are putting the ball in the other corner with the way they line their body up, lean to one side etc.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
"Good with his head in and around the box". "Stiffens up the back four". "Will be disappointed to be pulled off at half time by the manager".

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
"Passion"

Used endlessly by pundits and football supporters who know NOTHING about football. I think it means running around a lot and throwing your arms in the air.... which is of course MUCH more important than actually being good at football like stupid foreign people.

Now rendered completely meaningless as a term by over-use.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
'Setting their stall out' as in "They've set their stall out early doors" (@Ron Atkinson).

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
'There or thereabouts'... It's a FU**ING OXYMORON!![/QUOTE]

Is it? Doesn't "thereabouts" mean nearly there, or approximately there, in which case "there or thereabouts" means "there or almost there", which isn't really an oxymoron at all?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Not always true. Intelligent penalty takers are able to make the goalie think they are putting the ball in the other corner with the way they line their body up, lean to one side etc.

I completely agree with what you say, however it now seems to be the generic response for any commentator, even if the ball is DRILLED and the keeper was clearly trying his luck by diving in a certain direction.

Balotelli sends keepers the wrong way, Van Nistlerooy certainly didn't.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I've always had this thing about footballers, managers etc declaring that the next game 'is going to be really tough, or a tough place to go to'.

It doesn't seem to matter whether there away to Manchester United or home to Little Piddlington in the Marsh reserves in the cup, its always going to be tough.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
"put a shift in"
"when we get them back at our place"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I completely agree with what you say, however it now seems to be the generic response for any commentator, even if the ball is DRILLED and the keeper was clearly trying his luck by diving in a certain direction.

Balotelli sends keepers the wrong way, Van Nistlerooy certainly didn't.

Yep true.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
you know/y'know

"With a drop of his shoulder...." - what, has he had a stroke?

"They like to get the ball down and play" - narrrrrr, do they?

Jimmy Grimble

Normally after a second or third defeat on the trot "If we keep on like this then the points will soon come"

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
"We had all the possession and created lots of chances to bury them " (and subsequently lost to a breakaway/lucky goal)
"Route 1 " when it's Stoke or "a direct pass" if Arsenal, Manure, Citeh, Swansea etc
" This Club are too big/good to go down" (Newcastle, Leeds, etc)
"He has a good engine " - runs about alot with not much end product

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here