Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

compaq computer nightmare

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
hello all, i am currently at work and my office computer has given up the ghost. when i switch it on, it comes on for about 2/3 seconds and then goes off again and then immediately comes back on again. nothing else comes on with it (monitor or keyboard etc). the only indication i get is that the number 1 light on the keyboard flashes on and off and the green power light stays on on the tower.
i am not much of a teckie but i have a feeling that it could well be the psu. any ideas you boffins you.

p.s. i have tried to switching it on and off :bigwave:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
can you boot it into BIOS....switch it on and press the F2 or F8, or maybe the F10 key( depends on your compaq model)

If you can get into the bios, check that the boot sequence is the HD....if it is and it still wont work, change it to the floppy drive and put the original boot disk in it and see what happens

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
can you boot it into BIOS....switch it on and press the F2 or F8, or maybe the F10 key( depends on your compaq model)

If you can get into the bios, check that the boot sequence is the HD....if it is and it still wont work, change it to the floppy drive and put the original boot disk in it and see what happens

wont let me do anything DTG. i have tried to f8 but it just aint responding!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
wont let me do anything DTG. i have tried to f8 but it just aint responding!!!

It does sound a tad terminal!

When did you last back up the data on it?

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
It does sound a tad terminal!

When did you last back up the data on it?

:blush: whoops! never done that before. can it not be recovered from the hard drive if i take it out and clag it to another pc? or isnt it that simple (like me :lol:)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
:blush: whoops! never done that before. can it not be recovered from the hard drive if i take it out and clag it to another pc? or isnt it that simple (like me :lol:)

Yes, you should be okay tehre as long as it's not the hard drive that's failed. frankly it sounds like a mother board or related fault.

Of course I assume you've turned it off and on ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

If you get another machine, take the HD out of your old one, put it in the new machine and run it with the new machines HD as the "master" and the old one as the "slave"...its just a case of cabling it correctly.

If you buy one from a PC company, like PC World or someone like that, they will do it for you if you aks them nicely.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Yes, you should be okay tehre as long as it's not the hard drive that's failed. frankly it sounds like a mother board or related fault.

Of course I assume you've turned it off and on ?

if it were a motherboard problem, could i not just take the cover off and make sure that everything is in place i.e. not loose?

you assume correctly you senile old git :D

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
if it were a motherboard problem, could i not just take the cover off and make sure that everything is in place i.e. not loose?

you assume correctly you senile old git :D

I was referring to the other senile old git, not you:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: (oops sorry reread it....)

Motherboards dont come loose unless you have dropped it or something like that. If its the motheboard that needs replacing, you can find the serial number and make on the underneath normally...look on EBAY and get a replacement.....so long as you remember where everything plugs into its fairly straightforward to take one out and replace it.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
who needs a teckie. i've fixed it!!!!! i took the cover off, removed the two spiders that were living in it, pushed all of the components on the motherboard and switched it on and off and its now working again.
dtg, i will now learn how to back up things.
thank you all for you contributions :D:D:D:D:D:D

p.s. i am now going down the pub lanky :drink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
who needs a teckie. i've fixed it!!!!! i took the cover off, removed the two spiders that were living in it, pushed all of the components on the motherboard and switched it on and off and its now working again.

Yipeeee....

Very seriously now young man.

Go and get some CD's or DVD's and BACK UP YOUR DATA FILES

( you can tell I work in Disaster Recovery cant you!!!)

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Yipeeee....

Very seriously now young man.

Go and get some CD's or DVD's and BACK UP YOUR DATA FILES

( you can tell I work in Disaster Recovery cant you!!!)

thing is DTG, this computer doesnt have a cd rewriter or a dvd rewriter. if i were to back up to floppy disks surely it would take thousands of them as i have a lot of photographic evidence of my learners work on this pc. is there any other way of doing it? thanks btw :bigwave:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
thing is DTG, this computer doesnt have a cd rewriter or a dvd rewriter. if i were to back up to floppy disks surely it would take thousands of them as i have a lot of photographic evidence of my learners work on this pc. is there any other way of doing it? thanks btw :bigwave:

If it has a USB Port, get hold of a second HD - you can pick them up very cheaply now-a-days. As a temporary measure, you could buy a 2,4,6 or 8GB Memory Stick and back up loads of stuff to that.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
If it has a USB Port, get hold of a second HD - you can pick them up very cheaply now-a-days. As a temporary measure, you could buy a 2,4,6 or 8GB Memory Stick and back up loads of stuff to that.

thanks m8e :thumbsup:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Do you honestly think the likes of me and DTG do anything more scientific than that anyway ? Clearly you can fool some of the people all of the time :D

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What it baldy ! At least I stil have hair !

Shut it weirdy beardy....HP and I have sorted this...there is nothing for you to see here....move along now sir.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here