[Misc] Companies you hate, and will avoid using/buying from if you possibly can

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Vodafone - for the extremely petty reason that they were sponsoring Man U when it seemed that EVERYONE supported them. There were things like this EVERYWHERE :sick:
1687512125003.png

Subway: Sweet, fake tasting bread with no texture and sh|te fillings. I'd rather eat a shlong than a foot long.

'spoons: reasons covered very well elsewhere on the thread. Tim Martin is a throbber.

Dyson: I wasn't a fan even before the Brexit rubbish. The missus is a fan - says the hairdryer is ace, but I bought the last vacuum so went for a Henry before she could get another Dyson. She is now converted!

Paddy Power: Deliberately controversial adverts for publicity or just sexism/misogeny/transphobia...? Either way, I'm out.

Daily Mail: Hate-mongering sh|t-rag

Tesla: Musk is a very dangerous individiual IMO

Coca-Cola & Pepsi: They spend millions/billions on marketing to brainwash people into thinking they need to drink fizzy drinks. Thereby fuelling the obesity crisis, polluting the world with plastic waste and sucking money out of people (and nations) that can least afford it (for example, Coca Cola's revenue from Mexico is nearly $7bn, PepsiCo around $4bn). The same could be said of tobacco firms, but I never have smoked and never will, so me avoiding them or not is moot (apart from pension funds I guess).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not going to be all Apple fan-boy here, but weren't Apple the first home computer to properly use and market the mouse? And you mention USB, weren't Apple the first manufacturer to include a USB? Before that you had a range of serial, SCSI, parrallel ports etc.
You may well be correct with the mouse - although Microsoft introduced it with Windows 3.0 in the early 90s so it might have been a close run thing ( Apple didn't invent the mouse though ). I thought USB ports were first introduced by Compaq under a relationship with Intel ?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Sainsbury's for inflicting Jamie Oliver adverts on me.

May 25, 2023
Croydon
In a survey I was completing today there was a question asking me to list three companies that I hate and I'd avoid using/buying if at all possible.

I could only think of one: Ryanair. I've never actually used them, but the whole experience generally sounds so ghastly, I'd try my hardest to use anyone else possible.

What company(s) would make your list?
  • Sky
  • Ryanair, unless absolutely necessary. Had to fly with them from Madrid to Manchester when visiting someone in Cumbria for the weekend. No other airline allowed us to get there and spend meaningful time with them; we even loked at going via Belfast to Carlisle! Felt dirty flying with them, but at least we had a good weekend.
  • Wetherspoons
  • Brewdog
  • Virgin -
  • Delta, never forgave them for how they treated a friend working with them.
  • EE - shocking treatment recently.
  • Movistar; special shoutout for the worst telecommunications company we had to deal with in Spain!
  • webuyanycar

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You may well be correct with the mouse - although Microsoft introduced it with Windows 3.0 in the early 90s so it might have been a close run thing ( Apple didn't invent the mouse though ). I thought USB ports were first introduced by Compaq under a relationship with Intel ?
Apple released 'LISA' in 1983 with a mouse. Then the Macintosh in '84. Xerox invented the idea of using a mouse and a GUI but never really thought it would be popular, Jobs struck a deal with them and saw the potential.

Again, Apple didn't invent the USB, but they were the first to commit whole heartedly to the technology and the new Apple iMacs in '98 were the first home computers to ship with only USB ports. Ironically Apple also own the patent to USB-C.

At the end of the day, Apple was one of MS's first big clients, Bill Gates did more work on Apple than he did on MS software at one point. Windows is a result of Mac OS.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Apple
Wetherspoons
Vodafone

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It’s a long list and in no particular order

Chinese MG Cars in fact I would like to not pay for anything that’s related to China I realise that would leave me with almost nothing I could purchase
Sainsburys
Tesco
Dyson
Weatherspoons
Southern Water
Virgin media
Phil Collins products
Selling off various football clubs to fore owners with links to Russia, China or the USA
Not being in the EU and in particular loosing freedom of movement
Boris De Piffle Johnson products
Putin and by connection any Russian supporting products
Trump supporting products

Last edited:

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Currys - dont ever buy from them. Their customer service is appalling - they've even re-branded it to 'Team Knowhow' because they know its awful and they've tried to remove the Currys name from it. Everything is fine and dandy until you have a problem - then you will wait for hours on the phone, be told to report an issue to the manufacturer to 'get a code' - and generally give you the run-around until you just give up (which is their intended outcome).

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I don’t hate any company, and I’d be a hypocrite if said I wouldn’t use any company.
if the need arises I’ll use any company.

however there are certain individuals associated with various companies that I’d rather not use if I could, because I don’t like those people.
Richard Branson
Elon Musk
Rupert Murdoch
to name three individuals.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Definitely. Can’t stand them. Only thing I ever bought there was my paper when I was commuting from Brighton as there was no other option.
Smiths along with M&S will die out with our parents.

I rather like their presence on the high street but they are obsolete and it’s only a matter of time.

As an aside, not that I necessarily hate them but shame to see HMV turned into basically Forbidden Planet nerd stores.

They really missed a trick with streaming and the vinyl resurrection. And they still charge £15 for DVD’s 😂

They always seem to be one step behind everything. Who’s in charge there, my Nan?

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Smiths along with M&S will die out with our parents.

I rather like their presence on the high street but they are obsolete and it’s only a matter of time.

As an aside, not that I necessarily hate them but shame to see HMV turned into basically Forbidden Planet nerd stores.

They really missed a trick with streaming and the vinyl resurrection. And they still charge £15 for DVD’s 😂

They always been to be one step behind everything. Who’s in charge there, my Nan? 🤣
M&S won’t go, nor die out with our parents. They’re actually doing much better. It’s a myth young people don’t shop there. And of course young people aren’t young forever. Nearly my entire life people have been saying the same, and they’re still here. Of course they need to change and do, so it’s not the same M&S as decades or even a year ago. No business could, especially those with high street presence and the internet turned centuries old model in its basic sense on its head.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
M&S won’t go, nor die out with our parents. They’re actually doing much better. It’s a myth young people don’t shop there. And of course young people aren’t young forever. Nearly my entire life people have been saying the same, and they’re still here. Of course they need to change and do, so it’s not the same M&S as decades or even a year ago. No business could, especially those with high street presence and the internet turned centuries old model in its basic sense on its head.
It’s not cheap but M&S food is generally excellent. Well chosen wine range too. I like M&S clothes too. Tend to be simple and 'sensible'. Note, I’m not a 25-yo fashionista, as you might have guessed.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
It’s not cheap but M&S food is generally excellent. Well chosen wine range too. I like M&S clothes too. Tend to be simple and 'sensible'. Note, I’m not a 25-yo fashionista, as you might have guessed.
Yeah, M&S food is generally good. Except their bread, which is always too sweet.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Their women's range is frumpy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I buy my underwear from M&S and a few bits and bobs now and again.

The generation that does all its food shopping, housewares, clothes, restaurant, Christmas tat shopping there, and uses it as a one-stop-shop, making a day of a trip to M&S, they’re dying out.

M&S have reported good sales this year so far and over the years we have seen spikes in sales but overall, they’re going down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports