[Misc] Companies you hate, and will avoid using/buying from if you possibly can

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

boik

Sky, for obvious reasons.

McDonald's, horrible food, horrible experience.

Apple, patronising software, hardware copied from others, made shiny and deliberately non inter-operable with everything else.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
None. I'm not picky and have zero integrity.

Edit: damn, I forgot about Vax.
I was thinking exactly this, until I remembered Vodafone.

Their customer service is off the scale bad. I'm actually getting angry again thinking about it.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
:lolol:
I’m glad some get my “humour. “

Their scotch eggs, which used to be displayed in a large bowl in the window, ALWAYS tempted me in.
Don’t get me wrong the ‘deli’ side of their business is wonderful including those scotch eggs, the butcher side imho and through experience is shocking, I walked out from there and took my trade to the butcher’s in Richardson Road

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apple - and don't get me started on iTunes, the world's worst piece of software
I couldn't tell you the last time I used iTunes, but I'd say it was at least 6-7 years ago.

It would be a bit like saying I don't like the BBC because Ceefax is a bit shonky.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If I listed all the companies I avoid using here, it would make me look a real bitter individual, so hate is a bit strong.

1 Tobacco companies - recently reorganised my pensions when I realsied how much exposure I had.
2 M&S - Not so much the company but the perception in years gone by, that everything the sold was gold standard. It clearly was never the case and I have never been a fan of their clothes from a taste perspective and their reputation in food seems to be based on being early movers in upping the quality and presentation of ready meals.
3 KFC and Macdonalds would have a cup of coffee or a breakfast muffin if pushed at a motorway service station. Greggs is miles better for breakfast.
4 Apple - We have reached a point of polarisation, you are either inside the eco system or outside, I am the latter.
5 Dyson - If it were hate I would be stadning there waving my hands around, rather than using one of their excellent hand dryers. However I had a crap expereince with one of their vacuums and have no reason to spend any more money on this "British" icon.
6 Weatherspoons - the small number of things they do really well are undermined by the attitude of the owner. there is nearly always a better choice, altough they have helped to drive up standards in many areas.
7 Supermarket convenience stores - the worst offenders are the ones that have taken over old pubs. Shockingly ugly every single one of them. Next offenders are the town centre branches. Like the takeaways they should have to pay for the consequences of their littering customers. It isn't convenient for everyone else who has to wade through all the packaging left behind.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mirror
Sun
Express
Times (any fanboys here? You’re paying money to :wanker:Murdoch:wanker:)
Ryanair. So glad that we lucked out with the other budget airlines locating at Gatwick.
Boots - a rip off compared to rivals.
Peugeot/Citroen/Fiat - ticking time bombs for faults.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why do you feel the need to apologise to me - I'd never try and persuade anyone to buy from Amazon.

All I've ever said is if you have already decided to buy something from Amazon please click through from NSC if possible, as it helps support the site and keep it going.
Sorry if you’ve misinterpreted, I merely meant if I did I’d do so via NSC so you get the dosh!

SAC

May 21, 2014
I'm still boycotting Shell and Barclays, dating back to the 70s! Can't think of any newer ones.

I wish I could boycott Amazon but I do avoid them whenever possible.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
They're all capitalist pig dogs, but can't be arsed with consumer boycotts. Loved dealing with Plusnet. But after many years of direct debiting them, just left and they send me a fekking cheque fo £1.99. Now have to take time to go to the bank.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don’t get me wrong the ‘deli’ side of their business is wonderful including those scotch eggs, the butcher side imho and through experience is shocking, I walked out from there and took my trade to the butcher’s in Richardson Road
I don’t think I ever used them for butchering. And whenever I have been in there I’d say most people were there for the deli….I guess they have taken their eye off their main business.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They're all capitalist pig dogs, but can't be arsed with consumer boycotts. Loved dealing with Plusnet. But after many years of direct debiting them, just left and they send me a fekking cheque fo £1.99. Now have to take time to go to the bank.
Don't all banks now just let you take a photo with their app in order to cash a cheque? Mine certainly do anyway, on the very, very rare occasion I receive one.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Don't all banks now just let you take a photo with their app in order to cash a cheque? Mine certainly do anyway, on the very, very rare occasion I receive one.
NatWest have just introduced this facility but as this only for cheques of under £1000, it's not a facility that would have been very useful in winding up my mum's estate

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I couldn't tell you the last time I used iTunes, but I'd say it was at least 6-7 years ago.
It was setting up things for the kids - they're both iPhone users and they're old enough to sort stuff out themselves but about 8 or 9 years ago. I had to do it for them and the experience has scarred me for life

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Talktalk. Got to be THE worst customer service on the planet. Outsourcing to India and other low paid countries keeps the prices down, but you'd expect a minimum level of English.

Fitbit. Bought a lovely top of the range one a few years ago for the Mrs. Battery died within 18 months and they solder their batteries in so they can't be replaced and you have to buy a new one. I bought a cheap no brand version that's just as good but 1/4 of the price and lasting longer than the shitbit did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports