Smart anything - Smarter the device the dumber the user
Pharmaceutical
Biochemicals
BBC

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
In a survey I was completing today there was a question asking me to list three companies that I hate and I'd avoid using/buying if at all possible.

I could only think of one: Ryanair. I've never actually used them, but the whole experience generally sounds so ghastly, I'd try my hardest to use anyone else possible.

What company(s) would make your list?

Daily Mail and General Trust
Amazon
Ryan Air
News Group
Esso
Tesco
Sainsburys
ASDA
MacDonalds
Burger King
Uber
Meta (although I have to use WhatsApp)
Nestle
Kraft Foods
Primark
H&M
Starbucks
Barclays
HSBC (except sadly the own First Direct and I can't bring myself to leave)

It's a murky world out there and I do my best to keep abreast of who owns what, but inevitably I end up buying stuff from brands whose ultimate ownership structure of which I'm unaware.

For example, Princes Tuna is owned by the Mitsubishi Group who have their tentacles (fish pun) in all sorts of dodgy stuff.

I'm easily triggered, but if you try and avoid paying tax, treat your workers badly, don't care about the environment, then I'm out (if I can.)

May 25, 2023
Croydon
Oh Santander can get in the bin as well! Honestly never had so much hassle as trying to close my deceased Nan's bank accounts with them. Terrible attitude and system.

Travelbag - booked 40th birthday trip to Canada with them. They sold Toronto city centre hotel rooms they didn't have then tried to fob me off last minute with an airport hotel miles out of the city.

Had to cancel with them and reorganise whole trip with another company and wait a ridiculous time for a refund.

Bunch of incompetents, steer well clear.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Food manufacturers (the big ones that make a lot of our food)

They are profiteering and forcing though huge price increases of 25-40% on many branded products and much of the press are blaming the supermarkets.

Go for non branded and boycott these parasites

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Apple obviously,
Wetherspoons
Iceland (run by Tory MP wannabe, who before "outing" himself has spent the last few years defending the Government in appearances on TV )
ASDA - (simply out of fear)
Ryanair - who are appalling @Bozza. Never again.

.. and seriously now considering Sainsburys since they've rolled out new anti theft measures in my local store.

You are forced to print a receipt and scan it to let be out of the store.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Apple obviously,
Wetherspoons
Iceland (run by Tory MP wannabe, who before "outing" himself has spent the last few years defending the Government in appearances on TV )
ASDA - (simply out of fear)
Ryanair - who are appalling @Bozza. Never again.

.. and seriously now considering Sainsburys since they've rolled out new anti theft measures in my local store.

You are forced to print a receipt and scan it to let be out of the store.
Oh yeah, the big Sainsbury's near me has brought that bullshit in.
Not sure how it's meant to check that what I'm carrying bears any relation to what's on the receipt.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Oh yeah, the big Sainsbury's near me has brought that bullshit in.
Not sure how it's meant to check that what I'm carrying bears any relation to what's on the receipt.
This will definitely get challenged in court soon.

Those barriers, when used to prevent your exit from the shop, are classed as mechanical restraints. In the same category as handcuffs.

The arbitrary use of mechanical restraints by a supermarket with absolutely zero evidence for suspicion of theft would not hold up in court. And I’m certain would be ruled unlawful.

If you request to be given back your liberty and released from restraint, I’m sure the supermarket would be obliged to free you. In fact you’d have a very strong case for unlawful imprisonment.

I also object to the generating of millions of paper receipts a day. Totally unnecessary carbon use.

If supermarkets want to reduce theft, charge less for their produce, hire half competent security staff and pay them well.

Not some shirt filler who got off the boat yesterday in an ill fitting, hi-viz tac vest who stands at the door staring into the middle distance while the shop is robbed blind.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This will definitely get challenged in court soon.

Those barriers, when used to prevent your exit from the shop, are classed as mechanical restraints. In the same category as handcuffs.

The arbitrary use of mechanical restraints by a supermarket with absolutely zero evidence for suspicion of theft would not hold up in court. And I’m certain would be ruled unlawful.

If you request to be given back your liberty and released from restraint, I’m sure the supermarket would be obliged to free you. In fact you’d have a very strong case for unlawful imprisonment.

I also object to the generating of millions of paper receipts a day. Totally unnecessary carbon use.

If supermarkets want to reduce theft, charge less for their produce, hire half competent security staff and pay them well.

Not some shirt filler who got off the boat yesterday in an ill fitting, hi-viz tac vest who stands at the door staring into the middle distance while the shop is robbed blind.
Having tills where people can pay helps. There were only three manned tills in the local Sainsbury's with all the others either for scanned shopping or self service tills.
The queues at the manned tills were four deep. Customer service is vital.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here