Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Common sayings people get wrong

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
My eldest son had a girlfriend that would come out with wrong sayings all the time, we were at a wedding abroad and she said to me " I'm so thirsty I could drink a horse " :facepalm:

I'm sorry but this one gets me. When referring to a person ie your son's girlfriend it has to be who not that.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I can't believe this thread has got to 17 pages with no mention of "early doors" , a *******ised version of "early days" that like football was invented by sky.....well Ron Atkinson when he was commentating for them.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Another thing that really annoys me is 'a couple items' rather than 'a couple of items'. Is it so difficult to include the preposition?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Colleague of mine talks about being on the wrong tact instead of tack:facepalm:

The Argus often says' Hughton will be loathed to change the team!

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
My wife informed me last night that she was as sharp as a button. She has previously told me she wouldn't do something for all the tea in Switzerland.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Regardless of the exact wording of the original quote, this is one of the examples of the language developing and changing. Through common usage, 'Money is the root of all evil' has become a saying in its own right, albeit derived from an earlier, longer, more specific phrase.

May hell freeze over before 'would of' becomes standard, but I think it's fair to say that 'Money is the root of all evil' is now an accepted part of the vernacular.

No, it's just a misquote that is particularly wrong because it changes the intent of the whole phrase.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've just gone through this thread with a fine toothcomb.

I have lots of implements for combing my teeth, but the one I picked this morning is definitely one of the best.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
"We didn't bring this case to court to stop or delay Brexit."

Shocking misuse of the word 'didn't'.
Nothing against you personally, but is it possible to have a single discussion on here without someone bringing up Brexit or an issue related to it?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nothing against you personally, but is it possible to have a single discussion on here without someone bringing up Brexit or an issue related to it?

Nothing against you personally either - but do you really disagree that it is a shocking misuse of the word 'didn't'? Very casual misuse of the English language in my opinion.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

If you hate this thread so much why don't you just leave it eh? In fact I vote this whole thread leaves NSC, we don't need to be moderated from some faceless money man in Worthing FFS! This thread will be fine without a site to host it, there are plenty of other football sites who would have us. Time we took back our power.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
If you hate this thread so much why don't you just leave it eh? In fact I vote this whole thread leaves NSC, we don't need to be moderated from some faceless money man in Worthing FFS! This thread will be fine without a site to host it, there are plenty of other football sites who would have us. Time we took back our power.
A little over the top perhaps? I vote continue the thread and leave politics behind?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I thought this was a thread about common sayings people get wrong, it seems to have been turned into an English lesson by some posters. :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here