Votes: 38 45.2%
  • No!

Votes: 39 46.4%
  • You wot?

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Comic Sans should only be used for informal documents. It looks shite on anything important and either Ariel or Times New Roman should be used.

Verdana?!?!

OK, perhaps on websites, but not for text.

The real problem for me is that by far the most beautiful fonts ever are the original Baskerville designs - but no-one (well, hardly anyone) has them. John Baskerville was a genius - the most important figure in modern British printing and designer of some of the most beautiful books that have ever been published (he also introduced Velin paper to the British printing trade, for which he should be forever worshipped). Only the Boydells ever got close to him (and their typesetter was the nephew (I think) of Baskerville's typesetter, and was essentially trained as a Baskerville man).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
fatbadger said:

The real problem for me is that by far the most beautiful fonts ever are the original Baskerville designs - but no-one (well, hardly anyone) has them.

Baskerville.png

This one?

I've got it installed, by default. Be gave you pretty good fonts :)

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
:jester:

Why on earth did you start a thread on COMIC SANS FONT on Christmas Eve??!?!?!

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
roz said:
and those lost office souls who actually take pleasure in composing instructions on using the lavs:

Please be thoughtful how you sprinkle
When in here to have a tinkle
Leave things looking nice and sweet
Don't forget to wipe the seat

(no, I didn't make it up!:eek: )

i have seen that on a poster in someone's toilet recently. :jester:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
beorhthelm said:
Comic is for bored receptionist who have nothing better to do than send out little memos to the compnay asking people to keep the fridge clean, tidy up thier desks or not play with the thermostats.

Under strict directions from the HR department :rolleyes:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
:J) said:
Comic Sans should be banned... along with Arial, Times New Roman (on websites) and Sand (do you PC folks have this). Give me Verdana for web sites any day.

Sand. Ugh. Took it out of all 5 little nooks and crannies that OSX like to bury fonts in!!!!

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
:lolol:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
fatboy said:
:jester:

Why on earth did you start a thread on COMIC SANS FONT on Christmas Eve??!?!?!

fatboy has a point - why would you start a thread like this on Christmas Eve when you should have been hanging up your stocking, putting out a carrot for the reindeer and a mince pie and sherry for Santa????? Honestly, some people have no decorum.:lolol:

BTW I don't like it.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Brunning & hove albion said:

You mean:
bcs320x48.gif

nocomicsans180x180.gif

It's a nice informal font. Ironic that the Anti Comic Sans website uses Comic Sans in it's own title bar. :lolol:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Downloaded Penguin said:
Ironic that the Anti Comic Sans website uses Comic Sans in it's own title bar.

you mean there is actually a website dedicated to being against a microsoft word font?!

what is the world coming to?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
There's statistics, propaganda and merchandise as well :lolol:

bcs_cafepress256x256.gif

Ban Comic Sans!

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I dunno, they seem serious.

We believe in the sanctity of typography and that the traditions and established standards of this craft should be upheld throughout all time. From Gutenberg's letterpress to the digital age, type in all forms is sacred and indispensable. Type is a voice; its very qualities and characteristics communicate to readers a meaning beyond mere syntax.

Early type designing and setting was so laborious that it is a blasphemy to the history of the craft that any fool can sit down at their personal computer and design their own typeface. Technological advances have transformed typography into a tawdry triviality. The patriarchs of this profession were highly educated men. However, today the widespread heretical uses of this medium prove that even the uneducated have opportunities to desecrate this art form; therefore, destroying the historical integrity of typography.

Like the tone of a spoken voice, the characteristics of a typeface convey meaning. The design of the typeface is, in itself, its voice. Often this voice speaks louder than the text itself. Thus when designing a "Do Not Enter" sign the use of a heavy-stroked, attention-commanding font such as Impact or Arial Black is appropriate. Typesetting such a message in Comic Sans would be ludicrous. Though this is sort of misuse is frequent, it is unjustified. Clearly, Comic Sans as a voice conveys silliness, childish naivete, irreverence, and is far too casual for such a purpose. It is analogous to showing up for a black tie event in a clown costume.

We are summoning forth the proletariat around the globe to aid us in this revolution. We call on the common man to rise up in revolt against this evil of typographical ignorance. We believe in the gospel message "ban comic sans." It shall be salvation to all who are literate. By banding together to eradicate this font from the face of the earth we strive to ensure that future generations will be liberated from this epidemic and never suffer this scourge that is the plague of our time.
the%20real%20clown.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here