Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Come see Dick Swiveller make a dick of himself and then talk about change to BBC Homepage

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Is the world ending or has their upgrade gone a bit wrong? No sleep for anyone.

View attachment 148932

Edit - I am a complete moron. It somehow decided my home location was Havana. As you were!

New website is a bit pony though. No idea what Reel is but I'd prefer a shortcut to weather rather than Reel or Worklife

I admire your honesty

D

Deleted member 2719

Attachments

• 20220618_210704.jpg
    20220618_210704.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 122

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I have 3 different weather apps on my phone as I work outside and weather makes a difference. Regularly each one shows different weather and none are that accurate tbh. Even the Met Office one is pants.

No - they’re all great at telling you what the weather is like now. Thus saving you time in looking out the window.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
I have 3 different weather apps on my phone as I work outside and weather makes a difference. Regularly each one shows different weather and none are that accurate tbh. Even the Met Office one is pants.

I've had the BBC weather open on my Mac book and Mrs JoyDivisionOvenGloves had it open on her iPad and the two forecasts have been different !

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

The most accurate weather app I have found is the “Weather Window” a quick look is a pretty guide

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I have 3 different weather apps on my phone as I work outside and weather makes a difference. Regularly each one shows different weather and none are that accurate tbh. Even the Met OffTakw a look at ice one is pants.

Take a look at the Norwegian weather App, 'Yr'.
Excellent & reliable weather info, Aussie farmers swear by it.
Essential peace of kit when looking to play golf & tennis.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
my latest updates have changed all the BBC apps, News, Weather, Sport. It appears to be a change because there was nothing wrong with the old look, and everyone knew where everything was so to keep trendy we will change it and piss everyone off.

I was told that it was because the BBC effectively run two complete versions of BBC On Line- The UK one and the International one. In order to save money they are amalgamating the two as much as possible

Everything must be changed every few years or things become stale. When things get stale, people lose interest, and the only people remaining are the obsessives and the old.

But that's enough about NSC. What was that you were saying about the BBC weather page?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Everything must be changed every few years or things become stale. When things get stale, people lose interest, and the only people remaining are the obsessives and the old.

But that's enough about NSC. What was that you were saying about the BBC weather page?

one of the things that irritates the hell out of me is this constant need to change things for change sake
Fair enough updating something that then has added functionality, but when all they do is move stuff around, make it look different , without any actual improvements is frustrating.Same as supermarkets moving the tea bags for no other reason that to make you look for them-yes I know it means people then impulse buy other items they see while looking for the bloody tea bags but when u just want to nip in and grab a few items is frigging annoying, then when you give up looking and ask someone, they give you a condescending smile and point behind you where there are more boxes of tea bags than you can shake a stick at

Anyway, rant over :)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
one of the things that irritates the hell out of me is this constant need to change things for change sake
Fair enough updating something that then has added functionality, but when all they do is move stuff around, make it look different , without any actual improvements is frustrating.Same as supermarkets moving the tea bags for no other reason that to make you look for them-yes I know it means people then impulse buy other items they see while looking for the bloody tea bags but when u just want to nip in and grab a few items is frigging annoying, then when you give up looking and ask someone, they give you a condescending smile and point behind you where there are more boxes of tea bags than you can shake a stick at

Anyway, rant over :)

I hate change (that's to do with my being slightly peculiar, as noted previously) and yet I also love it (yes, yes, I know, slightly peculiar). The supermarket thing doesn't bother me since it is their right to attempt to max up sales. But when the person working there can't tell me where the Pirate Fishing Games section has been moved to, it speaks to their ability to operate effectively. Luckily with a competitive market I can shop elsewhere.

The sort of change that makes me angry is, for example, small changes are made to my annual appraisal proforma every year. The reason is that someone is asked to review the proforma and of course will find something to change. This will justify their annual salary of £30K a year. The outcome is that instead of being able to duplicate last year's document, cut and paste the goals section into the achievements section, then edit to map to what actually happened, I find that there is a new section, and that goals and achievements no longer map to the new structure. So I have to start with the new blank proforma and load it from scratch, including masses of immutable personal details (that ought to autopopulate but don't - WTF is my payroll number? I have to look it up). Why my employer thinks this rigmarole, needed before I have even begun to work out what they want me to address this year, is a sensible use of my time, especially at the start of exam season, is a question that seems pointless to ask; the answer is simple: the system is designed for the benefit of those who design and operate the system. I hesitate to say this but the same appears to hold true for the operation of a hospital, the NHS as a whole, public transport, private transport, air travel.....when you run a monopoly you are immune from market pressure from the punters.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I hate change (that's to do with my being slightly peculiar, as noted previously) and yet I also love it (yes, yes, I know, slightly peculiar). The supermarket thing doesn't bother me since it is their right to attempt to max up sales. But when the person working there can't tell me where the Pirate Fishing Games section has been moved to, it speaks to their ability to operate effectively. Luckily with a competitive market I can shop elsewhere.

The sort of change that makes me angry is, for example, small changes are made to my annual appraisal proforma every year. The reason is that someone is asked to review the proforma and of course will find something to change. This will justify their annual salary of £30K a year. The outcome is that instead of being able to duplicate last year's document, cut and paste the goals section into the achievements section, then edit to map to what actually happened, I find that there is a new section, and that goals and achievements no longer map to the new structure. So I have to start with the new blank proforma and load it from scratch, including masses of immutable personal details (that ought to autopopulate but don't - WTF is my payroll number? I have to look it up). Why my employer thinks this rigmarole, needed before I have even begun to work out what they want me to address this year, is a sensible use of my time, especially at the start of exam season, is a question that seems pointless to ask; the answer is simple: the system is designed for the benefit of those who design and operate the system. I hesitate to say this but the same appears to hold true for the operation of a hospital, the NHS as a whole, public transport, private transport, air travel.....when you run a monopoly you are immune from market pressure from the punters.

I've thought that for years. Not especially about the NHS, but many other public and private sector organisations, and not necessarily monopolies either.

My neighbours are building an extension. Their first plan (to stay within the original footprint) was turned down for not being in keeping with surrounding properties. I thought the plan was great. So they changed the plan to build a two storey extension out to the side. Building regs dictate that they have to dig a big hole for new foundations. But the house is on solid bedrock - chalk. Neighbouring houses including mine, were built in the 1920s on three courses of bricks and haven't fallen down. So the builders have to dig a big hole 50-60 cm deep and fill it in again with concrete. In our brave new eco world, that means hiring the machines to dig the hole, put fuel in them, cause emissions, hire a grab lorry to collect the waste and take it to landfill, then hire a concrete lorry to fill it in again. It's all time, cost, effort, fuel, emissions, landfill - none of it eco-friendly or efficient. But rules is rules. Never mind the customer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've thought that for years. Not especially about the NHS, but many other public and private sector organisations, and not necessarily monopolies either.

My neighbours are building an extension. Their first plan (to stay within the original footprint) was turned down for not being in keeping with surrounding properties. I thought the plan was great. So they changed the plan to build a two storey extension out to the side. Building regs dictate that they have to dig a big hole for new foundations. But the house is on solid bedrock - chalk. Neighbouring houses including mine, were built in the 1920s on three courses of bricks and haven't fallen down. So the builders have to dig a big hole 50-60 cm deep and fill it in again with concrete. In our brave new eco world, that means hiring the machines to dig the hole, put fuel in them, cause emissions, hire a grab lorry to collect the waste and take it to landfill, then hire a concrete lorry to fill it in again. It's all time, cost, effort, fuel, emissions, landfill - none of it eco-friendly or efficient. But rules is rules. Never mind the customer.

Ah, planning regs. Yes, badly drafted, but it is the people implementing them that is the problem. What does 'in keeping' mean? My neighbout has a flat roof infill extension where the patio used to be, built without permission. When I applied to build an extension with a neat sloping roof I was told it had to be piched to be 'in keeping'. When someone from planning popped round they saw next door's flat roof. The house had long since been sold on, 20 years after the extension was built and the new owner, an eldererly woman, was horrified to be served a rude order to change the roof. Fortunately there is no legal traction now as the work was done so long ago so the planners were simply being dicks (they dropped the action, but not after giving the owner a couple of months of sleepless nights and some legal costs). Nevertheless they inisited I build a pitch roof of specific dimension (meaning I would lose an upstairs window) to be 'in keeping' (which is what happened to my other neighbour on the other side - they had to put a fake roof over their extension and lose an upstairs window - £10K down the shitter).

I stood my ground and explained I had nothing to be in keeping with, and that I could build a pitch roof but with a lower pitch that would not **** up my bedroom window. It took a while, culminating with an hour own the phone with a very nice young architect (obviously one not good enough to create his own business and, instead, salaried by planning) whence they capitulated. You don't engage with me for an hour with much hope of winning the argument. So my estension is entirely lovely.

Meanwhile, another neighbour was at the same time arranging to build his extension. He found that there are 16 members of the planning committee. He found that several are members of a local association (rotary club or something) which he joined. He did a bit of work for a couple of them. And blow me down at he same time the old lady next door was being threatened with legal action and an expensive roof rebuild, the boy down the road obtained permission to build a two storey extension (the only one in the street), done as a self build with his grand father.....they were told to convert a wide double window at the front of their house back to two singles to be in keeping with the rest of the street. Five years later, they have a very nice, but definitely out of keeping double extension and, guess what? No change to the big front window.

Purpose
Terms of reference

Ask someone in planning to explain the purpose of planning and the terms of reference. You will probably find they know more about VAR.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Ah, planning regs. Yes, badly drafted, but it is the people implementing them that is the problem. What does 'in keeping' mean? My neighbout has a flat roof infill extension where the patio used to be, built without permission. When I applied to build an extension with a neat sloping roof I was told it had to be piched to be 'in keeping'. When someone from planning popped round they saw next door's flat roof. The house had long since been sold on, 20 years after the extension was built and the new owner, an eldererly woman, was horrified to be served a rude order to change the roof. Fortunately there is no legal traction now as the work was done so long ago so the planners were simply being dicks (they dropped the action, but not after giving the owner a couple of months of sleepless nights and some legal costs). Nevertheless they inisited I build a pitch roof of specific dimension (meaning I would lose an upstairs window) to be 'in keeping' (which is what happened to my other neighbour on the other side - they had to put a fake roof over their extension and lose an upstairs window - £10K down the shitter).

I stood my ground and explained I had nothing to be in keeping with, and that I could build a pitch roof but with a lower pitch that would not **** up my bedroom window. It took a while, culminating with an hour own the phone with a very nice young architect (obviously one not good enough to create his own business and, instead, salaried by planning) whence they capitulated. You don't engage with me for an hour with much hope of winning the argument. So my estension is entirely lovely.

Meanwhile, another neighbour was at the same time arranging to build his extension. He found that there are 16 members of the planning committee. He found that several are members of a local association (rotary club or something) which he joined. He did a bit of work for a couple of them. And blow me down at he same time the old lady next door was being threatened with legal action and an expensive roof rebuild, the boy down the road obtained permission to build a two storey extension (the only one in the street), done as a self build with his grand father.....they were told to convert a wide double window at the front of their house back to two singles to be in keeping with the rest of the street. Five years later, they have a very nice, but definitely out of keeping double extension and, guess what? No change to the big front window.

Purpose
Terms of reference

Ask someone in planning to explain the purpose of planning and the terms of reference. You will probably find they know more about VAR.

What does 'in keeping' mean? I have absolutely no idea. How do modern 'boxy' houses get built? They're not 'in keeping' with the adjacent yet-to-be-developed properties, are they? How did the Big Build on the Lewes Road possibly pass planning? There wasn't a mini-Manhattan like it a few years ago. So how did the first monstrosity get approved? In what way was it 'in keeping' with anything near it?

To me, it is the inconsistency and arbitrariness in planning, seemingly depending on which power-crazed council employee is assigned the task, and whether he/she had a good lunch or not. Anyway, enough of our digression. I'm conscious that this isn't our thread, but is [MENTION=21477]Dick Swiveller[/MENTION]'s attempt at self-flagellation. #oldgitsmoaningaboutchange

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
You don't engage with me for an hour with much hope of winning the argument.

Great Quote! I said something similar to a landowner that I was having an 'authentic conversation' (previously called an argument) with. I think I said something like 'we've been arguing for half-an-hour, you must realise by now that you have no chance of getting anywhere - I know more about this than you do'. He accused me of being arrogant - so I told him not to confuse arrogance with confidence in my own ability and knowledge.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Great Quote! I said something similar to a landowner that I was having an 'authentic conversation' (previously called an argument) with. I think I said something like 'we've been arguing for half-an-hour, you must realise by now that you have no chance of getting anywhere - I know more about this than you do'. He accused me of being arrogant - so I told him not to confuse arrogance with confidence in my own ability and knowledge.

:bowdown: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here