Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colourful characters

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
I always gave 10 pence man a few bob. Must have been the most successful beggar in town; never pissed anyone off, very polite & never asked for more than 10 pence!

I remember th 10 pence man, as you said was always polite, i always gave him a few bob also.

does anyone remember the really tall tramp that used to say a little poem asking for money, he was always really polite as well, i think he passed away a good few years ago.

Anyone remember the old chap that used to cycle to the Goldstone ? He wore a dirty white baseball cap covered in Club badges and a Coke can ring pull attached to his nose. I am sure he was a Northstander ? and if memory serves me well he had a large battery operated radio wrapped in a see through bag and used to call out the final scores as we all walked up the OSR after the match.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
No dude, thats what i thought at first until my friend informed me that the sound that comes out of his speaker is an actual genre of music.....i know :facepalm: Cant remember what it is called for the life of me though, bagga? magga? Something like "agga"

Gabba?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The bag lady who lives in an alleyway off Montague street Worthing or near Laura Ashley. Has all her possessions in approx 8 bin bags and a shopping trolley. Rumour has it that she won't ever set foot in a house again after seeing her son burn to death in a house fire.

Anyone remember the old chap that used to cycle to the Goldstone ? He wore a dirty white baseball cap covered in Club badges and a Coke can ring pull attached to his nose. I am sure he was a Northstander ? and if memory serves me well he had a large battery operated radio wrapped in a see through bag and used to call out the final scores as we all walked up the OSR after the match.

sort of rings a bell, there was an older guy c1979 who looked like he'd painted his hat, he'd also painted on slogans 'seagulls'etc with blue paint, he was usually pissed

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
I always gave 10 pence man a few bob. Must have been the most successful beggar in town; never pissed anyone off, very polite & never asked for more than 10 pence!

I gave him twenty pence once. He looked very confused....

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
And what about the Birdy whistle man - you know the one - always to be seen dressed in tweed and accompanying hat, with round black glasses. You find him walking up and down Bond Street / Gardner Street attempting to sell bird whistles / duck calling widgets. I think they cost about £2.50 and I don't think I have ever seen him sell anything.

Surely this can not be his primary source of income?

JCL

Better, Stronger, Faster
Jul 2, 2011
East of Eastbourne
And what about the Birdy whistle man - you know the one - always to be seen dressed in tweed and accompanying hat, with round black glasses. You find him walking up and down Bond Street / Gardner Street attempting to sell bird whistles / duck calling widgets. I think they cost about £2.50 and I don't think I have ever seen him sell anything.

Surely this can not be his primary source of income?
Yep, seen him a few times walking up towards Churchill Square... never seen him sell anything either!

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Anyone remember "Archie" He was a little old fella who lived up Higher Bevendean somewhere. Medmerry Hill I think and used to walk from there to the seafront and back several times a day. All us kids used to shout "Archie" at him in the 1960's. If you got too close he would chase after you.

This also reminds me of a lady on the 49 buses in the 70's who used to pretend to join in the conversations going on around her. Her head would be nodding and mouth silently mouthing the words. God I miss good ol' Moulsecoomb in those days

The Hermit Kingdom

Oct 29, 2023
Anyone remember that 30-something guy who used to style himself like an old 40s/50s film star in the Kirk Douglas/Ernest Borgnine ‘action’ mould, black long-sleeved top or black jumper tucked into a thick brown leather belt, black trousers, stylish/waxed blond hair, old shoulder bag and 1940s bicycle? He really pulled off that look, usually seen around the Laines in the late 80s/90s.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There's two I remember from the 1980s.
First was the "ten pence man", a tall, thin, beardy man who operated round the lanes and could often be found in the pizza place in east street tucking into the biggest pizza his daily haul would buy him. He would ask for "ten pence for a cup of tea" but was polite enough if you refused.
Then there was the loony known as "Ted". His manor stretched from North Laine to the seafront and he could often be seen scaring students or chasing pigeons. Fond of pissing down the drain in full view of everyone.
Ted Arnold.

When I worked on the deck chairs he would walk up and down in a confined area talking to himself.

I'm told he previously used to hang around Hove Park, doing much the same.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
Ted Arnold.

When I worked on the deck chairs he would walk up and down in a confined area talking to himself.

Ted Arnold.

I got to know Ted quite well and he actually was an alright fella.He was obsessed with Peter Grummitt and how he used to always call to Andy Rollings….Andy Andy he would always shout it out to me whenever he saw me

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had the odd chat with him. He seemed highly distracted.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
Anyone remember that 30-something guy who used to style himself like an old 40s/50s film star in the Kirk Douglas/Ernest Borgnine ‘action’ mould, black long-sleeved top or black jumper tucked into a thick brown leather belt, black trousers, stylish/waxed blond hair, old shoulder bag and 1940s bicycle? He really pulled off that look, usually seen around the Laines in the late 80s/90s.
Laines?

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
There was an old fella who used to walk from St Peter’s up the Ditchling Rd to Old boat corner and back.The Colonel he was know as.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here