Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] cologne

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I've been to Cologne and loved it. Saw Dortmund there one Christmas. The Cologne 'anthem' is magnificent, as is the city itself. All of which is useless to you if you're heading for Gladbach instead. That was one place I never got to. Love going to football in Germany. I was a ST holder at Freiburg for a couple of seasons and would love to get them in the Europa League next round.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Most of these clubs have a membership scheme like Albion’s - depends if you want to add £35 onto your ticket price? I joined to see a game at Leverkusen recently and tickets were not a problem but it depends on the game I suppose. I saw a game at Moenchengladbach last season and just bought them off the website, no problem, no membership needed there. The museum is nice to visit and they have a nice outdoor beer and food area which on a sunny day in April should be really nice to linger in for a while. I didn’t use the transport as I stayed within walking distance.

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
Done Koln & Monchengladbach along with most other top tier clubs in the region. I’d imagine you would struggle getting 8 tickets for Koln, they usually sell out.
BM train is simple, we got a bus from station to stadium which was pretty cramped and there’s not much around the stadium. If you get lucky with the weather it’s a fairly decent atmosphere around the ground though with beer tents/foid/music.
Schalke, Aachen, Essen, Bochum all at home that weekend so few good options. If you could get tickets, Schalke is decent, Aachen may well get promoted and would be packed out and Viktoria Koln is basic but Munster will pack out the away end.
thanks this is very helpful

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I have been to most grounds. All were a good experience although not keen on huge stadiums like Dortmund. Dont be put of by Bundesliga2 Some great grounds. Particaly like Shalke who although struggling stilll ge 60k gates

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Cologne is a great place. If you get time to see it, well worth a stroll around.

I’ve been to M’gladbach but only to the air base.

Watched some local football nearby but can’t recall who we saw.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Evening all,

just after any advice from anyone that’s been to cologne and gone and watched a bundesliga fixtur, there’s 8 of us going for my brother in laws 40th 26-28th april, we were hoping to watch bayer leverkusen but trying to get tickets is extremely hard given there current form, so now looking at borussia monchengladbach but wondering if anyone knows what trains are like out there, says it’s about 1hr 35 on train, and what to expect out there from fans, any issues?

any help much appreciated
Think others have covered most points.

You shouldn't get any issues with Gladbach fans. I went there with Lev and they have a shared hatred for Koln so was no bother at all. It's a big ground so wouldn't expect you'd have any issues getting tickets. Just word of warning though they don't announce their kick off times until a few weeks before so the game could be any when between Friday night and Monday night.

Trains are typically German and very efficient. Don't recall it taking that long to get there to be honest but drink had been taken so my memory is hazy.

I've never struggled to get tickets outside games in Germany from fans (not touts...don't think they exist in Germany) and they've always charged face value but for 8 of you that might be a struggle. I once paid 13 euros for a student ticket the bloke who sold it to me was so helpful he took me to the window I was supposed to upgrade it....feel slight bad that I waited until he left and then just went in anyway and was going to play the stupid Englishman if I got collared.....which I didn't.

Other thing I would say is if Lev are at home when you are there and you are at a loose end go along anyway. Even if you don't get it you'll have a good time. It's a small town and the place is absolutely rocking at the moment. If you tell them you are Brighton they'll welcome you with open arms.

Oh and one other thing to look out for is the Ice Hockey. It's a great cheap night out and they have Ultras with flares and allsorts. I went to Cologne Dusseldorf (so bit of a local derby) and it was mental.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Cologne is a great place. If you get time to see it, well worth a stroll around.

I’ve been to M’gladbach but only to the air base.

Watched some local football nearby but can’t recall who we saw.
The air base is a stone’s throw from the BM stadium

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Think others have covered most points.

You shouldn't get any issues with Gladbach fans. I went there with Lev and they have a shared hatred for Koln so was no bother at all. It's a big ground so wouldn't expect you'd have any issues getting tickets. Just word of warning though they don't announce their kick off times until a few weeks before so the game could be any when between Friday night and Monday night.

Trains are typically German and very efficient. Don't recall it taking that long to get there to be honest but drink had been taken so my memory is hazy.

I've never struggled to get tickets outside games in Germany from fans (not touts...don't think they exist in Germany) and they've always charged face value but for 8 of you that might be a struggle. I once paid 13 euros for a student ticket the bloke who sold it to me was so helpful he took me to the window I was supposed to upgrade it....feel slight bad that I waited until he left and then just went in anyway and was going to play the stupid Englishman if I got collared.....which I didn't.

Other thing I would say is if Lev are at home when you are there and you are at a loose end go along anyway. Even if you don't get it you'll have a good time. It's a small town and the place is absolutely rocking at the moment. If you tell them you are Brighton they'll welcome you with open arms.

Oh and one other thing to look out for is the Ice Hockey. It's a great cheap night out and they have Ultras with flares and allsorts. I went to Cologne Dusseldorf (so bit of a local derby) and it was mental.
Kick off times are planned far better than the prem. For the OP’s dates I believe fixtures will be confirmed February 25th!
Italy yes, the Germans rarely move games once fixtures are published which generally happens 4 times a season.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Kick off times are planned far better than the prem. For the OP’s dates I believe fixtures will be confirmed February 25th!
Italy yes, the Germans rarely move games once fixtures are published which generally happens 4 times a season.
Well that has certainly improved in recent years. I've not been to a game over there since before covid so you are probably right.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Evening all,

just after any advice from anyone that’s been to cologne and gone and watched a bundesliga fixtur, there’s 8 of us going for my brother in laws 40th 26-28th april, we were hoping to watch bayer leverkusen but trying to get tickets is extremely hard given there current form, so now looking at borussia monchengladbach but wondering if anyone knows what trains are like out there, says it’s about 1hr 35 on train, and what to expect out there from fans, any issues?

any help much appreciated
If you’ve already decided to see BM v Union on that weekend irrespective of confirmed date then tickets are on sale on their website. Set up an account for yourself (not sure how many tickets you can buy, you might be limited to 4 per person) and there’s a block behind one goal with a batch of seats available. You should be able to sit as a group.

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
this is all very helpful, thank you very much, yes, I have spoken to borussia monchengladbach via email, and they have said the dates will be confirmed after all of the UEFA draws on the 23rd, So shall look after that, but shouldn’t be no issue, but tickets for this game

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Pricing Usually get tickets from friends relatives in Germany about £25 a ticket. The one time I did it online from UK for Dortmund it cost over £100 which was obiously tourest price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here