Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] cologne

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
Evening all,

just after any advice from anyone that’s been to cologne and gone and watched a bundesliga fixtur, there’s 8 of us going for my brother in laws 40th 26-28th april, we were hoping to watch bayer leverkusen but trying to get tickets is extremely hard given there current form, so now looking at borussia monchengladbach but wondering if anyone knows what trains are like out there, says it’s about 1hr 35 on train, and what to expect out there from fans, any issues?

any help much appreciated

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Unforgiveable. Sean.John.

What?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Evening all,

just after any advice from anyone that’s been to cologne and gone and watched a bundesliga fixtur, there’s 8 of us going for my brother in laws 40th 26-28th april, we were hoping to watch bayer leverkusen but trying to get tickets is extremely hard given there current form, so now looking at borussia monchengladbach but wondering if anyone knows what trains are like out there, says it’s about 1hr 35 on train, and what to expect out there from fans, any issues?

Handy tip. Don't be the person who starts the ' give us a B ' chant :) :LOL:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Evening all,

Shame you’re not there two weeks earlier, it’s the Borussia derby: ‘gladbach versus Dortmund.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Went on a stag there in 2014. The idea was that we'd go to FC Köln but the best man wasn't a football person.....

So we went to see Viktoria Köln vs. Fortuna Köln in what was the worst 1-1 I've ever seen in my life. Everyone got sunstroke and I missed watching Ulloa score against Forest.

Cologne can f*** off.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Consider fortuna dusseldorf. One of the euro stadiums even though they are in bundesliga2

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Also schalke, massive club currently in german league 2 but amazing fans/atmosphere and OK to drink and smoke in your seat

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if anyone knows what trains are like out there, says it’s about 1hr 35 on train, and what to expect out there from fans, any issues?
Trains are fine, cheap and regular. It’s an hour to Mönchengladbach and then about 20-30 mins on the s-bahn to the stadium. You can easily book advance tickets and seat reservations in English on their app. Fans will be fine and I’m certain they’ll be friendly.

Simonf93

Apr 25, 2012
Trains are fine, cheap and regular. It’s an hour to Mönchengladbach and then about 20-30 mins on the s-bahn to the stadium. You can easily book advance tickets and seat reservations in English on their app. Fans will be fine and I’m certain they’ll be friendly.
thanks for the advice

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Went in 09 v Wolfsburg with a few members on here ,great ground ,great city . Beer Museum my favorite pub in The Alstadt ,though plenty of Beer houses around .Meant to fly home on the Sunday . Loads of snow in UK flight cancelled . Monday Train to Amsterdam another flight cancelled . Finally home 2 days later ,joyous times . Go to the top of the cathedral a must do.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Evening all,

Done Koln & Monchengladbach along with most other top tier clubs in the region. I’d imagine you would struggle getting 8 tickets for Koln, they usually sell out.
BM train is simple, we got a bus from station to stadium which was pretty cramped and there’s not much around the stadium. If you get lucky with the weather it’s a fairly decent atmosphere around the ground though with beer tents/foid/music.
Schalke, Aachen, Essen, Bochum all at home that weekend so few good options. If you could get tickets, Schalke is decent, Aachen may well get promoted and would be packed out and Viktoria Koln is basic but Munster will pack out the away end.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Monchengladbach - Your match ticket includes free train travel on the regional network. The bus shuttle journey to town from the stadium is a ball ache.
Found German football fans to be very welcoming.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Done Koln & Monchengladbach along with most other top tier clubs in the region. I’d imagine you would struggle getting 8 tickets for Koln, they usually sell out.
BM train is simple, we got a bus from station to stadium which was pretty cramped and there’s not much around the stadium. If you get lucky with the weather it’s a fairly decent atmosphere around the ground though with beer tents/foid/music.
Schalke, Aachen, Essen, Bochum all at home that weekend so few good options. If you could get tickets, Schalke is decent, Aachen may well get promoted and would be packed out and Viktoria Koln is basic but Munster will pack out the away end.

This is all excellent advice.

Me and a couple of chaps on here go over for a Bundesliga trip every season. We have been to Cologne, and had tickets via stubhub (I think) but it was the weekend Europe went into lockdown, and the match was postponed, so can't give specific advice!

German fans are great, and will probably be quite keen to engage with you.

Transport is superior, and comprehensive. I got a bit tired of drinking kolsch, but there's a Delirium Cafe which is great for a wider variety of beers.

You could probably get to more than one game should you be inclined. There's a lot of clubs clustered around the area, and one year we went to MSV Duisburg and Fortuna Dusseldorf in the same day.

Have a great time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here