Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Collections

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I total get this after clearing my dads house last year. He was an avid collector of anything the Albion, stamps, coins, newspaper cuttings, irons, electric razors, hats, another words a hoarder. I was left to clear it all out and just couldn’t get rid of it in the end, charity shops wouldn’t touch it. In the end it go so much I had to pay a clearance company to come round and clear the final lot.
This experience changed my view of collecting, as for years I would buy and Albion programmes, fanzines etc and just put them away in the loft. For what?
Past few months have been sifting through them, gradually throwing them out, was hard a first as it’s the memories, but gets quite liberating. I still have some momentous ones left, big games, first game with the grandkids etc but I’ve got a lot of space now in the loft to start collecting stuff.

It’s about degrees of collecting I think.

Our home isn’t large and I ensure that the loft is empty. Every now and then we clear out unused clutter and clothing.

But I’ve use some space for vinyls, maps, nostalgic stuff.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Everyone should have a hobby :wink:

100_0329.jpg

100_0354.jpg

N&C1.jpg

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I cleared my mums and my dads houses and rather enjoyed going through their modest collections of things.

The few things they collected meant a lot to them and we all picked out one or two items we wanted to remember them by.

It was the everyday stuff that we all have that was the pain to clear.

My Stepdad on the other hand was buying crap til he went into a home. His was all clutter that he passed off as “antique collections”. Money burned a hole in his pocket so he’s buy stuff for the sake of it.

I can’t stand clutter and my small collections fit neatly into a bookshelf and a drawer under the bed. The rest of my flat is neat, tidy and throughly un-cluttered.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I also collect Albion pin badges. I prefer the older ones especially late 70s Coffer badges. I haven’t bought any for a while because some are going for far too much money.
There are also some on sale now on eBay that are not good quality.
Odd that the club shop website only lists one pin badge, I haven’t been in the shop lately as it’s usually packed solid.

A few non league badges also on here.
View attachment 166972

Some on sale here...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
If you ever find yourself in Cambridge, I recommend a couple of hours in here:

It is on some run-down industrial estate and even the taxi driver didn't know of it when we went, but it is absolutely brilliant. You can spend hours programming Commodore Pets and BBC micros, or playing Chucky Egg on Spectrums and C64s. Then you've got the ancient Nintendo / Playstation consoles and so on. Apart from anything else they've got a ton of stock in another warehouse that they simply don't have space to show and probably never will.
Had a behind the scenes tour after attending the premiere of a film I did video capture for. Our small group had the Oliver Twins and Kevin Tom's which will mean something to 80s gamers

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I have a few collections:

Still got all my original Star Wars toys - figures, vehicles etc, & also the Power of the Force series from about 30 yrs ago.

Militaria from WW1 & WW2, but not added to it for years.

I now collect baseball gloves too. Bought around twenty five so far - & just add to it whenever I find a bargain on eBay, or at car boot sales. Most are just cheap things, but I have a couple of rare ones that I paid less than £15 for, but are worth £100+

Screenshot_20230926-105957_Photos.jpg

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Sounds like you have gone very much quality over my quantity! 3000 sounds good, but a lot of them are ‘nobodies’ in the grand scheme of things. Britain’s Got Talent people, basically because they were there and I had a spare card, tennis players that never made it, etc. But yes, a lot of leg work and a lot of fun. It was also about seeing the same faces collecting or photographers, became quite a social thing. I do have a few that I’m very happy with though, like Tony Curtis, Charlton Heston, Lauren Bacall, plus a number of the more recent Hollywood crop. Now that I’m out of London, this part of my life seems to be over alas. Great memories tho!
DSC_0756.JPG

These are the only ones I have left. They were on the wall with the helmets but I had the display case made and moved these into storage so they don't fade in the sunlight.
I'd love a man cave so I could invest in some more memorabilia. I've looked at some of the vintage Kenner figures from the 70's/80's, I'd like to get maybe one a month and put them aside, living in a flat limits the space I have though.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Rounders Record Shop That rings a bell. Was it in Portland Road run by a Mr Vine
Are you thinking of Record Round-up?
It was along near the bingo hall if memory serves.

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
I also collect Albion pin badges. I prefer the older ones especially late 70s Coffer badges. I haven’t bought any for a while because some are going for far too much money.
There are also some on sale now on eBay that are not good quality.
Odd that the club shop website only lists one pin badge, I haven’t been in the shop lately as it’s usually packed solid.

A few non league badges also on here.
View attachment 166972

Some nice ones there - I enjoyed looking through your collection. It might be worth you taking a look in the club shop. I was pleasantly surprised to see a Brighton v AEK Athens badge on sale in the shop (although not top quality). There is also a ‘Brighton Europa League’ one which has just been added to the website (Pre-order). You are right that there was only one badge on the website, but a few more have been added over the last few days.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
When I was 20 in 1964 Bang and Olufsen brought out a wonderful transistor radio which had something new FM radio. What stood out was the sound quality from the usual tinny competition. I remember paying £34 for it which was a fortune then. It ended in a hedge in Storrington 20 years later which is another story. Recently I have now acquired seven of these Beolit 600 model transistors all in very good condion and colours from Ebay.
IMG_20210822_145942_BURST001_COVER.jpg
IMG_20210822_150032.jpg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Some nice ones there - I enjoyed looking through your collection. It might be worth you taking a look in the club shop. I was pleasantly surprised to see a Brighton v AEK Athens badge on sale in the shop (although not top quality). There is also a ‘Brighton Europa League’ one which has just been added to the website (Pre-order). You are right that there was only one badge on the website, but a few more have been added over the last few days.
Thank you, pleased you enjoyed looking at the collection, I realised from the poppy / Albion badges I took the picture about 3+ years back and have added a few more since.
Many thanks for the info on the shop, it would be handy if I could order the others online, I may email the club for details of the badges.
I left the Amex about 10 minutes after the final whistle on Sunday and saw a massive queue for the club shop, I waited in the North concourse for a while and then went back to the shop to be told it was closed, this was just before 4.30.
Not sure if it closed early because it was Sunday or just doesn’t stay open for long after matches.
I get a lift to the Amex and don’t have much time before matches to go in the store.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017
I was a 12 year old who fancied Carrie Fisher. Uniquely I think. I wonder if anyone else found her attractive?
Chewbacca had better hair.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
View attachment 166893it won’t come as a surprise, but I’ve been collecting Albion football shirts for some time.

I didn’t buy my first one until 1994, then I think with the advent of online auctions I started picking up ones I didn’t own. I’ve got to the point now where I have every home shirt since 1977 when official replicas were first sold, and all but 3 are matchworn examples. I’m missing 2 away shirts, although not all of the away ones I have are matcworn.

I think, including duplicates, goalies, special editions etc I’m at around 350 Brighton shirts.

I’ve also added shirts to my collection from elsewhere. As a regular visitor to Cyprus I’ve amassed a hundred or so shirts from both the north and south of the country. There are also around 40 Worthing shirts in there and probably a couple of dozen shirts from other Sussex non league clubs.

My first ever replica shirt, in 1976, was a California Surf shirt, bought from the adverts in the back pages of Shoot/Goal magazine, they were so much cheaper than British team shirts. Soccer in The USA still fascinates me, so you’ll find a hundred or so shirts from modern MLS sides to obscure lower level sides. Id love to get my hands on an original California Surf shirt as mine went the way of the bin many moons ago.

And then there’s a bunch of shirts from all over the place, UK, and worldwide.

View attachment 166894
How big is your house again?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Rounders Record Shop That rings a bell. Was it in Portland Road run by a Mr Vine

Brighton Square. Through the entire 80’s and 90’s I think.

Perhaps they had another branch.

There was a nsc’er who knew the former owner.
Rounder Records were the chart return shop - so I always went there in preference to HMV / Virgin in Churchill Square.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Rounder Records were the chart return shop - so I always went there in preference to HMV / Virgin in Churchill Square.

I stopped going to them at the beginning of the 80’s. After discovering Rounder (imports), Madeira Hotel record fairs and a tiny second hand record shop called Vinyl Demand in Whitecross Street North Laine (now a home).

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Comics (mostly American).
I’ve got somewhere between 15000 and 20000 - never counted them.

Including a complete collection of 2000AD’s, 3x sets of the first five “Captain America” (and pretty much all issues thru to about 8 years ago), a full run of Hawks “Dan Dare” full size reprints, all of the Eagle Annuals, most of the Giles annuals, most of the Beano annuals, a few Superman comics from when the GI’s were still based in UK, almost all the Jack Kirby stuff from his stint at DC ……. yada yada…

Also hundreds of 7” vinyl to play on my Juke Box. People tend to give me their collections, or even their (late) parent or siblings collections.

I do also have a nice collection of 1983 Vintage Port, the amount varies with visits from my brother, and my need for treating “man flu”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here