Colin Montgomerie...Ryder Cup Captain 2014?....PLEASE NO !!!!!!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Colin Montgomerie.....great great golfer (8 Order of Merits is as good as a Major to me....) but please don't let him anywhere the Ryder Cup captaincy again.
He is a terrible commentator of Sky...umming and arrring and telling us about 'his' Team and how 'he' won the Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor at every opportunity. Constantly brings any conversation back to it......he has an ego the size of the Moon about it.
Worse than Cliff Richard at bringing it back to 'me'
The Ryder Cup is arguably the greatest live sporting contest on TV and as such an honour to be SELECTED for the Captaincy of it.
Why has he suddenly thrown his hat into the ring after categorically saying he would never do it again? Money, Profile and Greed that's why......and it leaves a bad taste. He has had his turn and should leave it to another deserving Pro....McGinlay, Bjorn .....anyone but Monty.
Rant Over.......and .....relax.
#notmontyagain. #notmonty

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Because he was the brains behind that epic comeback?

I may be wrong, but i think you maybe confused. Jose Maria Olazabal was the brains behind the epic comeback?
Monty was Captain at home with arguably our best ever team.....didnt want to do it in USA and now its back in his homeland suddenly wants it again...EGO EGO EGO.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
- Still well regarded on the tour
- All Sky commentators are crap
- Be thankful that neither Faldo nor Lyle are in the frame

Great to see Tom back for the Yanks. Shame they will lose.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
but he did win it....

he is not the first Captain to win the Ryder Cup for for Europe is he? but he sure lets you know about it at EVERY opportunity. Captain should be selected and he shouldn't be canvassing for it. in my opinion of course....

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I used to really like monty but that has changed. I could not believe how much he made the Celtic manor win about him. I was even more shocked when he won bbc coach of the year. He was not a coach he was a non playing captain. This was all put in the shade by his commentary during the Ryder cup this year. "I hope olly can follow in my footsteps" he of course did win then monty said "well done to olly for emulating me" no monty it was the most amazing comeback in Ryder cup history.

The USA team was strong. When they came here for Celtic manor it was not.

The course was set up to suit the USA players with wide fairways where their longer tee shots would go, at Celtic manor it was not

The weather etc were all as expected this year, at Celtic manor they were not.

I can't believe how much monty believes we won because of him.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
I used to really like monty but that has changed. I could not believe how much he made the Celtic manor win about him. I was even more shocked when he won bbc coach of the year. He was not a coach he was a non playing captain. This was all put in the shade by his commentary during the Ryder cup this year. "I hope olly can follow in my footsteps" he of course did win then monty said "well done to olly for emulating me" no monty it was the most amazing comeback in Ryder cup history.

The USA team was strong. When they came here for Celtic manor it was not.

The course was set up to suit the USA players with wide fairways where their longer tee shots would go, at Celtic manor it was not

The weather etc were all as expected this year, at Celtic manor they were not.

I can't believe how much monty believes we won because of him.

Totally agree.
That comment about hoping Olly 'can follow in my footsteps' and bigging him up as his pal when Olly first came on to the European Tour were absolutely cringeworthy.....

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I equate Monty's role as similar to John terry in the champions league. Non playing captain who made victory about him.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Poulter Donald and Rory all publicly supported Paul m now over monty.

Yes....and a lot of Tour Pros are supposedly anti him too. Monty does seem to have a 'blind spot' regarding PR doesn't he? Why is he trying to deny Paul McGinley, another Ryder Cup stalwart, the opportunity to proudly Captain the team?
Monty's been one of the best British Golfers ever....regardless of his failure to win a Major. As I said earlier, in my opinion - 8 European OoM's, his Ryder Cup playing record and various Wins around the world more than makes up for Not winning a Major. But he's only really been popular because of his Ryder Cup exploits. In other competitions he has been a snarling moaning snappy misery guts most of the time......his commentating shows why. He is completely self centred and has not an ounce of humour at all. His involvement with Sky is all about keeping his Ego afloat.....

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Can't stand that man, he's just not nice. Rejected me an autograph when i was 10, twat!

At The Open at Birkdale a few years ago, Monty came off the first hole of the tournament having just taken 6. As he walked through the crowd he mumbled 'one down 71 to go' implying he would make the cut okay and play 72 holes....quick as a flash my friends son said '...err, 35' implying he wouldn't. The timing was perfect. It was a laugh out loud moment which would have been harsh on anyone other than Montgomerie .....he missed the cut!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Would not mind Bernhard Langer back, he was a true professional and a fantastic planner when he won, Thomas Bjoin would get my vote if he puts jus hat in the ring,

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
At The Open at Birkdale a few years ago, Monty came off the first hole of the tournament having just taken 6. As he walked through the crowd he mumbled 'one down 71 to go' implying he would make the cut okay and play 72 holes....quick as a flash my friends son said '...err, 35' implying he wouldn't. The timing was perfect. It was a laugh out loud moment which would have been harsh on anyone other than Montgomerie .....he missed the cut!

Haha. Love that.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
Granted Monty is a bit of a plum and is certainly making the most of the Celtic manor victory but as a Ryder cup player he was an absolute legend!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Love him or hate him, one of the best golfers this country has ever produced. If you think Monty has an ego, try Faldo, but the common denominator is that they were the best and winners many top pros have this ego about them, nothing is there fault, blame the caddy, the clubs, whinge about anything, and now that they are no longer at the top they cannot let it lie, its like a drug, they need to feel that winning feeling again.
I used to live near Wentworth and went to many PGA Championships, always followed Monty, he could be a monster on the course, but spoke to him on various occasions off the course and, once he had calmed down, he was a nice enough bloke. The best though were Paul Mcginley and Sam Torrence.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Granted Monty is a bit of a plum and is certainly making the most of the Celtic manor victory but as a Ryder cup player he was an absolute legend!!

Couldn't agree more. Loved watching him PLAY in the Ryder Cup.....even bought the same belly putter as him, but he has had his time and should let someone else have a go.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
Love him or hate him, one of the best golfers this country has ever produced. If you think Monty has an ego, try Faldo, but the common denominator is that they were the best and winners many top pros have this ego about them, nothing is there fault, blame the caddy, the clubs, whinge about anything, and now that they are no longer at the top they cannot let it lie, its like a drug, they need to feel that winning feeling again.
I used to live near Wentworth and went to many PGA Championships, always followed Monty, he could be a monster on the course, but spoke to him on various occasions off the course and, once he had calmed down, he was a nice enough bloke. The best though were Paul Mcginley and Sam Torrence.

I agree that they need that selfish, single minded attitude to succeed. I am the same age as Faldo, Lyle, Woosnam, Langer etc and when they started winning stuff it was great. I used to hate it when the press got on their backs as i thought 'they are Golfers not orators...leave them alone'. Unfortunately TV companies think that because they were good at playing the game, they are good to listen to. Invariably they are not.....i cant stand Faldo on US TV (in fact i cannot listen to American commentary full stop) but he was great and very insightful last year when he commentated for the BBC at The Open. Montgomerie on the other hand is like listening to paint dry !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports