Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cole Palmer on loan?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Incorrect, since Chelsea new ownership we have taken about £200 million off them and we have become significantly better and they are significantly worse
True, but they are continuing to hoover up players at all ages now. I know City have done this too, but it feels far more blatant from Chelsea.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Chelsea are learning, rather than buy players from us for high transfer fees, they are looking to buy players that we are linked with, to try and get that player for a lower transfer fee, before we develop the player further and add on the Chelsea tax.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
I don’t think we can sneer about City and Chelsea using the loan model to develop their players.

We hoard young players and use the loan system for player development just the same as they do. If this is what’s ruining football then perhaps some self reflection is required.

Whether it’s worth it to us to be the development loan for a City player is another matter. Surely the preference would be to sign him permanently but if there is a short term squad gap to be filled, why not?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
True, but they are continuing to hoover up players at all ages now. I know City have done this too, but it feels far more blatant from Chelsea.

I actually agree with something that Pep said a week or two back, that if City behaved like Chelsea, they’d be slaughtered in the media for trashing FFP and throwing their cash around to the detriment of the game. I know it’s unfashionable to stand up for City but they are far more restrained than Chelsea and others. Pep would never have gazumped Liverpool on Caceido for instance. They put a value on a player and rarely change it much. Yes, they have loads of money but they spend it wisely.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
6 month loan until Enciso is back? Pep does his mate Roberto a favour...
Pep said earlier in the window - he either stays / plays or gets sold. No loans.

If he’s up for sale I’d go for it, top talent

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Some players (even taking the higher wages into consideration) will see our project as more appealing.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I actually agree with something that Pep said a week or two back, that if City behaved like Chelsea, they’d be slaughtered in the media for trashing FFP and throwing their cash around to the detriment of the game. I know it’s unfashionable to stand up for City but they are far more restrained than Chelsea and others. Pep would never have gazumped Liverpool on Caceido for instance. They put a value on a player and rarely change it much. Yes, they have loads of money but they spend it wisely.
spot on, we saw exactly this with the cucurella deal. city spend big, but like us only do so when absolutely convinced, and will not exceed their decided value of the player.

chelsea on the other hand are just utterly out of control

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For about the fifth time I say yes please, especially with Julio out for months. Closer to him than anyone we currently have. Get him in Tony :thumbsup:

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Chelsea are learning, rather than buy players from us for high transfer fees, they are looking to buy players that we are linked with, to try and get that player for a lower transfer fee, before we develop the player further and add on the Chelsea tax.
That’s true but the downside of Chelsea’s approach is the difficulty for the player to get a clear run into their first team, which we can offer.
I’m not saying it works for every young player we buy but a Baleba has a much better chance of first team action and development than if he went to Chelsea and had to compete with Caicedo and Fernandez.
At a Chelsea their spending is only FFP compliant in the future if they qualify for the CL.
Although we’d love to qualify for Europe on a regular basis, our financial model isn’t reliant on it.
We just stick to our model. Eventually it may mean we lose an ambitious manager and other key employees but creating a vision/ strategy and sticking to it whilst adapting to be successful within that model is what will define our success.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It seems mad that Chelsea want to sign so many of our players and transfer targets. Have they given up on a top 4 finish for now?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Is there any real evidence Palmer was ever a transfer target of ours? We normally persist with our proper targets until they sign or it officially breaks down.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It seems mad that Chelsea want to sign so many of our players and transfer targets. Have they given up on a top 4 finish for now?
Thats their transfer policy now Winstanley has lost access to the algorithm...... just try and find out who we're after and hijack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here