Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cold light of day - post Potter

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Ok. I feel let down and disappointed by the events of yesterday. Bruno going was the emotional punch to the stomach.

But, I feel supreme confidence in Tony Bloom and Paul Barber. They will be ready for this and all the evidence suggests that their plans to replace are in place and rolling. Reading PB’s comments on the club website reinforce that belief.

We will have a new management team in place soon, and let’s remember that unlike last time, we are at the top end of the league. There will not only be managers we have kept tabs on, the phone will be ringing.

As to GP and his team. I wish them well. I just wish it was at a club where I did not mind him succeeding. Hopefully he will be England manager soon.

We will get through this transition. The project continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah it will all be fine for Brighton eventually.

I'm guessing that the new bloke they find will go pretty much "do whatever you did before" with the squad until the World Cup when its like another pre-season and the coaches have the time to introduce some new ideas. After that it could be a wonky ride for a few months but eventually hopefully the players have settled into new ideas etc.

I've seen people complain that this is the worst possible situation for GP & folks to leave the club in but I don't agree with that. If the team had picked 5 or 6 points now, it would be a very difficult situation but those 13 points - already more than 1/4 into a secured contract - will be very handy for whoever takes over; provides a bit of margin.

Overall, Brighton could probably forget about Europe (which wasn't very likely either way) this season - too much change for that - but will be playing in the PL 2023/24 as well.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The players have been doing the business on the pitch not Potter, there are many reasons to be excited for the future. This hasn’t been a massive shock to Bloom, Chelsea have been tapping up Potter since the summer.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I see the club have just put up some images on the official site of BHA post-Potter.

A2D022F4-15B7-43B2-A07B-B11E910EA887.jpeg

D722AE59-A8E1-4378-9841-DF43E9698F80.jpeg

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
- Tony needs to get the next appointment right. No room for another Hyypia mistake.

- Potter for England ! No more worries about Southgate getting sacked. Put in a good word at the FA, Barber.

- Still feel very let down by Bruno.

- Get Calde in as Spanish liason coach - even as an interim.

- What are the poor Villa and Leicester fans going to do now they can't simply stroll in and take Potter ? Massive lol.

- Perhaps Naylor can now focus on the albion's search for a new manager rather than getting stuck on too much Potter comment.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm considerably less angry about the departees too.

5 year deals on big salaries, with a new owner, who clearly sees Potter as the centre-piece to his new regime.
It isn't just a random offer from a big 6 club, who have run out of options.
Tough one to turn down.
That really is a once in a lifetime offer for those guys.

£21m to add to the ridiculously huge warchest, softens the blows a teeny amount
If Tony and Barbs can pick a decent replacement, we should be fine.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I personally don't know how people can be so blasè about this. Yes I know we've been in worse places, yes I know 'little' Brighton will never be top of the food chain, and yes I know I should just accept it as part of football and move on. But for the rest of my life now, whatever happens next, I will always think 'what if?' We are 'little' Brighton. Clubs like us don't challenge for a place in the top six very often, let alone by playing such brilliant football. Where could we have got to if Potter had at least stayed until the end of the season? This was our chance and it's gone and God knows if it'll come again.

And don't tell me "It'll be ok, Tony Bloom's got it under control". I know the club have 'succession planning' if individuals leave (such as Ashworth or Bissouma), but I think that plan will be sorely tested by having to replace a whole group, including some club stalwarts and not just Potter's own team. I cannot see the next manager (and his team) being an upgrade on Potter, and I feel 'peak Albion' has now been reached.

Of course if the new guy does turn out to be better and we win the FA Cup and qualify for Europe then please bounce this post and I will happily eat humble pie, but at the moment I really can't see it.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
IF the game tomorrow is called off as predicted, it's not all doom and gloom as we'll have a good amount of time to survey our options without a fixture in the interim. Furthermore, with where the club sits at the moment, there can't have been a much better time in our history to look for a manager & coaching staff - we're an attractive proposition.

Only dilemma for me is whether we recruit someone from the English leagues or abroad, recruiting from abroad will usually require a bedding in period, which will be frustrating for the supporters given how well we've started this season. Although it should be acknowledged, apart from playing Man Utd in disarray on the opening day, we've still got to play the other filthy rich clubs in the first half of the season, so a 'tail off' compared to our current form is to be expected.

In terms of managerial options from the English leagues, I think the only semi viable options (without taking a big risk) are Cooper and Frank. Cooper still has a bit to prove at the top level tactically (although of course it's early days), I think Frank would be perfect but do acknowledge that it would be a difficult deal to get done. Who knows though if he has a release clause in his contract akin to Potter he might be tempted.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I personally don't know how people can be so blasè about this. Yes I know we've been in worse places, yes I know 'little' Brighton will never be top of the food chain, and yes I know I should just accept it as part of football and move on. But for the rest of my life now, whatever happens next, I will always think 'what if?' We are 'little' Brighton. Clubs like us don't challenge for a place in the top six very often, let alone by playing such brilliant football. Where could we have got to if Potter had at least stayed until the end of the season? This was our chance and it's gone and God knows if it'll come again.

And don't tell me "It'll be ok, Tony Bloom's got it under control". I know the club have 'succession planning' if individuals leave (such as Ashworth or Bissouma), but I think that plan will be sorely tested by having to replace a whole group, including some club stalwarts and not just Potter's own team. I cannot see the next manager (and his team) being an upgrade on Potter, and I feel 'peak Albion' has now been reached.

Of course if the new guy does turn out to be better and we win the FA Cup and qualify for Europe then please bounce this post and I will happily eat humble pie, but at the moment I really can't see it.

This, I fear too probably our best chance of European football has been snatched from us, by a club that was losing its grip on European football.

I feel pretty empty and apathetic right now, I actually don’t really care about Saturdays result or game right now, I think we all know what’s coming.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Nope still annoyed, we are 6 games into our most promising season since we were promoted with the hard work and incredible vision of the club looking like it was going to reap unimaginable rewards against the odds.

Feels like a big club has just waved a bit of cash at the manager and he is off in a flash taking large parts of those building blocks with him. We have been slapped back down those dreams are not for us now shush and take your money and rightful place in the food chain.

I get all the calls of ‘too good to turn down’ and ‘this is modern football’ etc but I don’t have to like it and the timing and speed of this stinks and can’t help but think this has been lined up behind the scenes over the last few weeks.

It felt like the whole club was heading somewhere special this season but Potter has decided he does not want to be part of that anymore and has selfishly further increased our problems by removing core parts of our back room team.

In the cold light of day I am still seriously pissed off.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Absolutely sums it up for me, well said.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My thoughts:

The Potter reign, which was very much a collective effort from TB downwards including scouting and recruitment, transformed us to a team capable of outplaying and beating anyone except Mansour’s sports-washers (down to 10 men, when 11 they always played through and around us). A huge feat on our budget.

But it wasn’t overnight, even last season there were huge non-winning runs, over Potter’s time, home wins and goals were rare.

Until it all, finally, clicked into place in April at the Emirates. From then on in, the best Albion football I’ve seen. Finding Caicedo, MacA, Veltman, Cucu, Trossard isn’t on Potter …. the praise lies with others at the club.

Regarding Potter’s departure, I think the emotional investment we put in him was one-sided, hence the hurt now. To him, it was purely business, we were a brief stepping stone in his ambitions and the wonderful support of TB/PB/PW facilitated that. It’s a two-way street, if Potter hadn’t joined us and instead one of the many knee-jerk clubs, it’s quite possible that he wouldn’t be at a top 6 club right now.

Gutted that he’s unblinkingly taking so many staff with him. Revealing that Boehly and Potter see this as simply cold, hard business. There’s no special bond with us, managers sometimes have that with former clubs, not here. You can bet your bottom dollar that will continue with laser focus in taking Caicedo and Mac Allister.

So, thanks for the football, and the wins in the final 6 months. But at this time, I reciprocate his lack of sentiment.

Looking forward, I have total trust in TB and PB, the club’s in a great place. The right appointment, this could be different and exciting. Let’s stick together and UTA.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

I honestly think we would already have a Roberts replacement dossier - although that won't be dusted off until the new main man is in charge.

My only worry is that the "plan" to replace Potter might have included Bruno in it for the interim. So the interim now needs to be short. There may well be no football for us now until October and Liverpool away. Which is a good thing, but I hope the players don't go to pieces in that long break and forget too much potterball.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Maybe Graham Potter thought he has taken Brighton as far as he can take them. He leaves us fourth in the Premier League with a run of tough fixtures after the International break. Coinciding with an offer from Chelsea too good to turn down. A new challenge testing himself in the Champions League with unlimited resources at his disposal.

As a Brighton fan I am disappointed. Having seen our Club go through some difficult times over the past 50 years, we are still in a good place to have a successful season. Losing Keith Wickenden was the beginning of a period of decline in the 1980's. We still have Tony Bloom to take the club into the future along with Paul Barber, Davis Weir and a group of talented players.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Everyone has summed up far more eloquently than I probably would the whole situation. Thanks to [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] for the thread.

Coaches will always come and go, especially good ones, so really more frustrating for me, when it feels we are on the cusp of something amazing (who’s to say it won’t continue?).

I think the break is very opportune for everyone to gather their thoughts and go again.

Re Bruno, I still feel very disappointed, mainly because like many I was a passionate Bruno fan.

I keep saying he’s looking to develop himself etc…, doing the best for his family etc…, but it’s the whole ‘kiss the badge’ and move on I’m saddened by, because I thought he meant it. Once a Seagull……. More fool me.

Still a great player and legend, but now a little tainted…..

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The players have been doing the business on the pitch not Potter, there are many reasons to be excited for the future. This hasn’t been a massive shock to Bloom, Chelsea have been tapping up Potter since the summer.

Naively, I’d love to think that’s not the case.

But as times goes on, I suspect you’re right. Boehly probably also sounded out Poch and Zidane.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here