Colchester's stadium vs Falmer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Fill the corners in - Check
Situate it in a lovely city by the sea - Check
Appoint manager playing with width, style and flair - Check
do not reduce the size of the playing area so that you literally need a taxi to retrieve the ball - Check (hopefully)
Fill it with genuine noisy fans - check

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Is it true they were not allowed to put a junction on the A12 for the stadium? Because you can see it from the A12, and could hear the traffic when they did the silence for Keith Alexander. A friend who went last season said the coaches had a right job going round the houses. As for the stadium, it looked half empty on the telly, guess Sky are to thank for that. I would almost certainly have been there on Saturday, and probably so would a good few more Colchester fans.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Blimey, they have changed that, I went there last season to watch them play Millwall and it was £26 each. Of course, you have to queue at a ticket office before queueing again at a turnstile to get in, which then doesn't work for scanning the ticket, so a steward has to overide every second fans ticket. At least at Falmer you'll be able to SMS Text for your ticket as you are travelling to the ground then walk straight in.

We were told parking was bad news so we got a cab from our hotel. Which then got stuck in traffic for 40 minutes as there is only one road in and the same road out of the business park the ground is in (it's the end of the road too). Then again, the crowd was double what was there last night so I guess less traffic last night too. Coming back we walked a mile first then called a cab so as to avoid paying for the fella to sit in a jam again.

It must be disappointing for the genuine Col U fans (there are a few) to find their new ground to be quite so grim. Falmer wil be an altogether different thing, so long as they sort out the transport.

They have scrapped the different prices for sitting right behind the goal or nearer the corner flag this season. Probably after realising everyone just bought the cheapest ticket and sat where they liked!
The buses back to the station are well organised, much better than Reading. Plenty of buses, they get people on quickly, doesn't take that long, generally don't f*** about and are free.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Fill the corners in - Check
Situate it in a lovely city by the sea - Check
Appoint manager playing with width, style and flair - Check
do not reduce the size of the playing area so that you literally need a taxi to retrieve the ball - Check (hopefully)
Fill it with genuine noisy fans - check
I'm not sure about our corners being filled in. ???

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I'm not sure about our corners being filled in. ???

There will be no seats, but equally there will be no gaps within the stadium cowling - i.e we have an enclosed bowl, a la Madjeski, St Mary's etc.

The clever deployment of concrete bluffs will help the sound richochet within the bowl enhancing the audio capabilities of the stadium for both matches and or concerts. :thumbsup:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
And the pitch will be the same size as Wembley. FACT

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Blimey, they have changed that, I went there last season to watch them play Millwall and it was £26 each. Of course, you have to queue at a ticket office before queueing again at a turnstile to get in, which then doesn't work for scanning the ticket, so a steward has to overide every second fans ticket. At least at Falmer you'll be able to SMS Text for your ticket as you are travelling to the ground then walk straight in.

We were told parking was bad news so we got a cab from our hotel. Which then got stuck in traffic for 40 minutes as there is only one road in and the same road out of the business park the ground is in (it's the end of the road too). Then again, the crowd was double what was there last night so I guess less traffic last night too. Coming back we walked a mile first then called a cab so as to avoid paying for the fella to sit in a jam again.

It must be disappointing for the genuine Col U fans (there are a few) to find their new ground to be quite so grim. Falmer wil be an altogether different thing, so long as they sort out the transport.

I thought their ground looked OK from the outside (although location-wise, it might as well be on the moon). But it was a bit ugly and tinpot inside for my money.

That said, the ticket office staff were friendly and helpful, unlike those at Orient. You could pay by card, unlike at Orient. Even the catering staff were unusually cheery and smiley, AND the chicken balti pie was splendid. I could see that car park would be a pain in the arse if there was a bigger crowd- as it was, we parked on one of those little dead end road bits all along the main road in, and were out of the area in five minutes.

I guess like any ground, it has good and bad points.

chinners

Aug 27, 2009
Brighton
it didnt cost that much i think about 25 million compared to falmer 93million

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Their new stadium is probably better than their old and I don't think we should be getting all snooby about it. If they filled it and the noise was good then all would be ok.

Also for the record , I like Chesterfields new stadium.

Maybe I'm easily pleased. Thats what the Mrs says anyway

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is it true they were not allowed to put a junction on the A12 for the stadium? .

I think that is true. They also have stewards who patrol the A12 to prevent cars from stopping and letting their passengers out to clamber up the bank and into the stadium. At least they did that when the ground was new, don't know if it still is a problem.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Is it true they were not allowed to put a junction on the A12 for the stadium? Because you can see it from the A12, and could hear the traffic when they did the silence for Keith Alexander. A friend who went last season said the coaches had a right job going round the houses. As for the stadium, it looked half empty on the telly, guess Sky are to thank for that. I would almost certainly have been there on Saturday, and probably so would a good few more Colchester fans.

Er! It was played last night not last Saturday!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think it's fair to compare it to Falmer: a 22,000 seat stadium against a 10,000 seat stadium, with vastly different budgets.

Judge it on its own merits...which is to say, could be better, could be worse.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Last nights attendance confirms that Div 1 football will not fill a stadium,Leeds excepted.
Promotion is a must before Falmer is completed,otherwise we will be in a similar situation as Colchester.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Last nights attendance confirms that Div 1 football will not fill a stadium,Leeds excepted.
Promotion is a must before Falmer is completed,otherwise we will be in a similar situation as Colchester.

Don't agree. If we have a winning team in a fantastic stadium with a good ticket price structure we'll get good crowds - even in league one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports