Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colchester match report It was 5-2!!!!!!!!

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
I had head that both Sancho and Jack had just terrible games, If McMG takes them on the strength of this game then it would be worrying.

Still better now than against Derby!

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
True, and still he only managed 1 from the spot! It seems we had an "open door policy" today!!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Perhaps those in charge (and I don't just mean Mark) will realise that the squad badly needs strenghtening. The optimistic, "oh, Mark will bring the kids on if we lose our best players" view just will not do. We all know what happened the last time we tried that idea.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Worrying indeed but no doubt there will be many who will say that it was only a friendly.

:nono:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Albion Beaten At Colchester

By Paul Camillin, at Layer Road

In their first pre-season friendly against League opposition, Albion slumped to a 5-2 defeat at the hands of Colchester United at Layer Road this afternoon.

After going behind to an early penalty, Albion had lead 2-1, but four goals from Colchester in the last half an hour left Mark McGhee disappointed on the final whistle.

He told seagulls.co.uk, "We started coasting [at 2-1] and stopped doing things from a shape point of view - starting with the strikers who weren't doing their defensive jobs well enough.

"In the second half we didn't have anything like the work ethic we had in the first and we went into a lower gear and were punished for it."

McGhee refused to use pre-season fatigue as an excuse, adding, "We were here to play 90 minutes. The players are fit and they've not been overstretched this week.

"I don't think they were tired, but I think mentally they thought it was going to be easier when they went ahead."

Leon Knight
Leon Knight heads Albion's first goal

The afternoon started badly for McGhee's men. Former Seagull Chris Iwelumo won Colchester a penalty just three minutes into his home debut.

The striker, who returned to England this summer from German side Aachen on a free transfer, was brought down by his former Albion team-mate Guy Butters and the dreadlocked Iwelumo then dusted himself off to fire the spot-kick home past Albion's trialist keeper Kelvin Jack.

Despite the sluggish start, Albion looked to have seized control of the game as Leon Knight and Colin Kazim-Richards headed goals either side of half-time.

Knight's looping header on 24 minutes was his third goal in a week; and like both his goals at Bognor on Wednesday, it was again created by Charlie Oatway.

Oatway's midfield partner Richard Carpenter created Albion's second two minutes into the second half, putting in a superb cross which Kazim-Richard bravely headed home to put Albion 2-1 to the good.

Carpenter and Oaway weren't the only Albion players providing quality balls to Albion's attacking players. Albert Jarrett - challenged by McGhee to prove himself in pre-season - was the major bright spot of the afternoon.

He gave his best performance of the pre-season campaign as he teased and tormented on the left wing, and McGhee said, "I thought Albert Jarrett was excellent in the first half.

"He produced a lot of quality and dangerous balls which with a bit more sharper movement in the box we could have scored more goals from."

However, it was Colchester's left winger Dean Howe who stole the show late in the game. First he ended a jinking run with a well struck shot that crept past Jack into the bottom right corner on 65 minutes.

Then, seven minutes later, he was on hand to bundle the ball home from close range after Jack had parried an Iwelumo header. Substitute Jamie Guy made it four, before Gareth Williams added the fifth.

Albion: (4-4-2) Jack, Reid, Sancho (El-Abd), Butters, Dodd; Hart, Oatway, Carpenter (Nicolas), Jarrett (Hammond); Knight (McPhee), Kazim-Richards (Robinson). Subs not used: Elphick, Martin (GK), McCammon.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Just got back from the game.

We actually played pretty well for the first hour or so. Jarrett was particularly impressive, adding decent crosses and taking players on, Oatway /Chippie bossed the midfield, Knight/Kazaa linked up well. Hart was anonymous for most of the game.

Knights supply seemed to dry up when Jarrett was replaced. Jack, poor command of his box, lack of communication with the defence, doesnt come off his line quick, and seems to take an eternity to dive. Sancho I feel is an accident waiting to happen. Most of the goals came from the fact that the midfield/attack assumed the defence were there to do their job, simlilar to McPhee not tracking Staunton at Cov last year.

Based on the first hour, there is promise there, but we will be found out against quality opposition me feels.

A worrying season ahead, but then this time last year, McGhee hadnt signed a single player - we wait with baited breath.

SUFFOLK SEAGULL

Jul 6, 2003
IN KELLY BROOKS CLEAVAGE
WELL I WENT TODAY ,AND I MUST SAY THAT GUY BUTTERS MUST NOT PLAY IN OUR DEFENCE THIS SEASON HE IS JUST WAY TO SLOW GOT CAUGHT 2 OR 3 TIMES AND THEY SCORED EVERY TIME, SANCHO I WOULD GIVE A CONTRACT TO MAYBE 3 MONTH TO SEE HOW HE GETS ON JACK COULD BE BETTER DID NOT COMMAND HIS AREA VERY WELL BUT WHEN HE HAD POINT BLANK SHOTS TO STOP NO PROBS THEN CROSSES A BIT VULNERABLE THERE ,IM NOT SURE BUT I THOUGHT I SAW HEDMAN DOWN THE STANDING END IN GOAL DONT KNOW WHY HE WERENT ON THE SUBS BENCH I WILL GIVE THE PLAYERS A MARK OUT OF TEN

JACK 5
REID 6
DODD 7
BUTTERS 3
SANCHO 6
CHIPPY 6
OATWAY 7
HART 6
JARRETT 8
KNIGHT 7
RICHARDS 7

SUBS
HAMMOND 6
NICOLAS 5
ROBINSON 6
MCPHEE 5
EL-ABD 5

WE NEED AT LEAST A LEFT BACK SO DODD CAN GO INTO C/DEF BUTTERS RESERVES MIDFIELDER ON THE LEFT WING WHO CAN GO PAST PLAYERS AND CREATE THINGS
ONE LAST THING AT HALF TIME WHEN THE SUBS CAME ON TO WARM UP EVERYBODY EXCEPT MCGAMMON WAS PASSING THE BALL AROUND AND RUNNING AROUND BUT THAT LAZY OLD BUGGER JUST SAT ON A BALL AND DID SOD ALL IF THATS ALL HE'S PREPARED TO DO NOW WHATS HE GONNA DO IN A PROPER MATCH GET RID I SAY

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
SUFFOLK SEAGULL said:
WELL I WENT TODAY ,AND I MUST SAY THAT GUY BUTTERS MUST NOT PLAY IN OUR DEFENCE THIS SEASON HE IS JUST WAY TO SLOW GOT CAUGHT 2 OR 3 TIMES AND THEY SCORED EVERY TIME, SANCHO I WOULD GIVE A CONTRACT TO MAYBE 3 MONTH TO SEE HOW HE GETS ON JACK COULD BE BETTER DID NOT COMMAND HIS AREA VERY WELL BUT WHEN HE HAD POINT BLANK SHOTS TO STOP NO PROBS THEN CROSSES A BIT VULNERABLE THERE ,IM NOT SURE BUT I THOUGHT I SAW HEDMAN DOWN THE STANDING END IN GOAL DONT KNOW WHY HE WERENT ON THE SUBS BENCH I WILL GIVE THE PLAYERS A MARK OUT OF TEN

JACK 5
REID 6
DODD 7
BUTTERS 3
SANCHO 6
CHIPPY 6
OATWAY 7
HART 6
JARRETT 8
KNIGHT 7
RICHARDS 7

SUBS
HAMMOND 6
NICOLAS 5
ROBINSON 6
MCPHEE 5
EL-ABD 5

WE NEED AT LEAST A LEFT BACK SO DODD CAN GO INTO C/DEF BUTTERS RESERVES MIDFIELDER ON THE LEFT WING WHO CAN GO PAST PLAYERS AND CREATE THINGS
ONE LAST THING AT HALF TIME WHEN THE SUBS CAME ON TO WARM UP EVERYBODY EXCEPT MCGAMMON WAS PASSING THE BALL AROUND AND RUNNING AROUND BUT THAT LAZY OLD BUGGER JUST SAT ON A BALL AND DID SOD ALL IF THATS ALL HE'S PREPARED TO DO NOW WHATS HE GONNA DO IN A PROPER MATCH GET RID I SAY

Yeah well, by his own admission he didnt have a great game today.........

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Race said:
Nah not in the mood :)

Why not he needs pampering, hard day at the office :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here