Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG - The BFC lowdown (as promised)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
:lolol: years ago,when i was about 17,me and the lads used to go pubbing and clubbing,non event,parapox etc,anyway on the way back from the escape club one night,walking along all beer'ed up came some northern blokes,asking us where the birds were/best club etc..

anyway i said where are you from? one went,Barnsley mate,you ain't beent nowhere till ya been ter Barnsley,i'm telling ya!!

:lolol:

That reminds me of a long since forgotten encounter, conveniently wiped by the blessed sponge of amnesia.

I was in a nightclub many moons ago, and a girl from Barnsley was chatting away to us. I equipped my best Yorkshire accent and told her I was from there too. I managed to sound authentic as well. Quite why I chose to do that escapes me. But nonetheless, ten minutes spent in the guise of belonging to 'God's own country' was obviously most liberating.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
:lolol:

That reminds me of a long since forgotten encounter, conveniently wiped by the blessed sponge of amnesia.

I was in a nightclub many moons ago, and a girl from Barnsley was chatting away to us. I equipped my best Yorkshire accent and told her I was from there too. I managed to sound authentic as well. Quite why I chose to do that escapes me. But nonetheless, ten minutes spent in the guise of belonging to 'God's own country' was obviously most liberating.

Funny how these little things stick in our minds,Barnsley like you say is obviously fascinating..well to us anyway

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I do find a portion of your fanbase to be absolutely, and ridiculously arrogant, with nothing to justify it at all. The 'Wednesday' of the south we refer to you as on our forum. But I'm more than aware that it's a minority, just as we've a minority who embarrass us. I don't scold you for getting a big old stadium built and then filling it. The potential's always been there and if I'm being honest, you've a lot of fans I imagine that have been through the wringer, seen darker days than I have as a BFC fan. I've been lucky to have started watching us as a 6 year old in 1988 and thus saw our incredible 90's era and all that it took in. I'm possibly going to see some dark times now, similar to the state we found ourselves in in the early 2000's after administration. It'll only strengthen my affection and love for my fantastic little club.

We have a portion of our support who are a bit "new football" and not very knowledgeable. Some people will only see the population of Barnsley and it's location and be blind to the fact that for most of our club's histories you've been in a higher league than us. They did exactly the same when we sold Barnes to Burnley.

Our fans tend to get a bit carried away by our potential rather than what has actually happened. There's been periods in history where we've had quite a big support and we're currently enjoying another one. In the past the club has had disasters and let that support slip away, this time with the management we've got in place I'm pretty sure we're not going to drop back into the lower leagues so hopefully that, at least in part, will eventually justify some of our fans' arrogance.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
"I don't care about COG chatting shit to suck up to his new employers. But I do care about BFC and it's 127 year history and achievements and I'll be ****ed if I'm having folk pulling it down and saying the likes of Brighton are bigger/better."

And WE'RE the delusional ones, despite getting nearly four times their attendances this season?!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Still on the bigger club debate I've just seen the attendance stats posted by [MENTION=25317]WhiteyBFC[/MENTION] on their forum. Apart from our decade where football was of secondary importance to our fans we've always had bigger attendances than Barnsley despite being in a lower division. When we did go up the leagues the spike in support was far far larger which backs up the argument about potential, and there are very obvious geographical reasons for this.

It just depends on how you measure the idea of "big", which is of course entirely subjective. The debate is healthy though, it's all interesting stuff.

It will be interesting in the future to see how long we need to have <20,000 attendances to get some recognition (if ever) from other fans who remember us as a tinpot club playing at gillingham/withdean.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
"I don't care about COG chatting shit to suck up to his new employers. But I do care about BFC and it's 127 year history and achievements and I'll be ****ed if I'm having folk pulling it down and saying the likes of Brighton are bigger/better."

And WE'RE the delusional ones, despite getting nearly four times their attendances this season?!

Obviously the scars and pain of 1991 still linger on for them :lolol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes a very nice fan gesture. I was thinking doing the same for foxes about Leo.......snigger:D

Lazy,uninterested,slow,suspect temperament,old,injury prone, and my personal favourite-ripped off..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes enough about me, what about O'Grady? :smile:

Lethargic,indifferent,sluggish,dodgy character,nearly dead,in poor shape,and my personal favourite-they did not see us coming.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't think we could be so positive about Will Hoskins. I did not see enough of him and the only thing I remember was the goal against Newcastle which fell nicely on his right foot.

Think you should look at that goal again then. It didn't just fall nicely to his right foot. Very cleverly made a run and stayed onside. Was a good ball but only because he created the option.

[video]http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-01-05/match-report-brighton-2-1-newcastle/[/video]

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Think you should look at that goal again then. It didn't just fall nicely to his right foot. Very cleverly made a run and stayed onside. Was a good ball but only because he created the option.

[video]http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2013-01-05/match-report-brighton-2-1-newcastle/[/video]

Great timing from Hoskins.

Watching that again makes me miss Orlandi. :cry:
Bring back Orlandi.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I do think the attendances issue is vastly overrated, especially when you dig down and look at away followings too, where we don't set this division alight.

Always enjoyed trips to Barnsley, even the first one in 1981/2 when they thumped our top division prima donnas 4-1 in the League Cup, in front of 27 from Brighton. Pubs are cheap and the locals are hilarious.

Barnsley have played in the PL, we haven't, so give them some respect.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I do think the attendances issue is vastly overrated, especially when you dig down and look at away followings too, where we don't set this division alight.

Always enjoyed trips to Barnsley, even the first one in 1981/2 when they thumped our top division prima donnas 4-1 in the League Cup, in front of 27 from Brighton. Pubs are cheap and the locals are hilarious.

Barnsley have played in the PL, we haven't, so give them some respect.
So how does the PL differ from the old Division 1 other than a rebrand?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
So how does the PL differ from the old Division 1 other than a rebrand?

Well,the long and short is,it does not differ,but it could also be argued that we as a club are only 3 seasons old,average 27,000 gates and have spent our entire existence in the Championship...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here