Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

COG Stays

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would he have got in the Bournemouth, Watford or Norwich side last season? If not then that is your answer on whether COG should play for us next season.

On that basis we need a complete new squad because we dont have 1 player who would have.
Stockdale - irrespective of your prejudices
Dunk
Kayal
Ince

At least they save you from restocking 4 positions.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OP says we don't compete with other clubs in paying wages. I isay we do. Or rather most clubs. As we Normally outspend 15 or 16 clubs each season. Someone says can't be true. Look at how poor this lot are compared to the lot before. rinse. Repeat. Etc

that one....

PS: I like COG . Hope he stays. Brentford and Arsenal were THE ONLY 2 highlights of last season.

Couldn't resist, even though it does a disservice to Leeds @ home.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
OP says we don't compete with other clubs in paying wages. I isay we do. Or rather most clubs. As we Normally outspend 15 or 16 clubs each season. Someone says can't be true. Look at how poor this lot are compared to the lot before. rinse. Repeat. Etc

that one....

PS: I like COG . Hope he stays. Brentford and Arsenal were 2 highlights of last season.
That was not answering Bens Grandads question which was this
If that is the case why do we finish up with such dross in recent windows.

And your reply to him I feel failed and your reply to me, still fails to answer his question.

Feb 14, 2010
Stockdale - irrespective of your prejudices
Dunk
Kayal
Ince

At least they save you from restocking 4 positions.

Nobody has a prejudice against Stockdale. People just do not agree with you that a keeper should commit as many howlers as he did last season (especially first half of the season). For me I'd pick Walton over him. They had no reason to drop him after he got into the side apart from because he was considered "too young". Its all about opinions tho'. I'd agree with Ince, Kayal and maybe Dunk. Also a few decent signings to make the side better will also make the other players play well as everyone plays better in a winning side.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nobody has a prejudice against Stockdale. People just do not agree with you that a keeper should commit as many howlers as he did last season (especially first half of the season). For me I'd pick Walton over him. They had no reason to drop him after he got into the side apart from because he was considered "too young". Its all about opinions tho'. I'd agree with Ince, Kayal and maybe Dunk. Also a few decent signings to make the side better will also make the other players play well as everyone plays better in a winning side.
Oh I was referring to BG's anti Stockdale stance.

Those 4 highlight how shocking we are/were on the front foot.
I doubt Bristol City (intentional) would have wanted any of our 'attacking' unit.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Very few and shows how many players we need to be competitive. All depends on what the aim is next season.
You sure of that? How many goals might COG and CMS have scored, given the service that they had when they were previously scoring 15-20 goals a season?
How might our midfielders have reacted with people running into the right places for them to pass too?

Feb 14, 2010
You sure of that? How many goals might COG and CMS have scored, given the service that they had when they were previously scoring 15-20 goals a season?
How might our midfielders have reacted with people running into the right places for them to pass too?

Its about opinions. I said when we let Murray go that that decision would cost us. Neither CMS and COG are remotely in his class. CMS cant control a football to the standards that I expect and neither can COG. Still if you and the club think COG will win us promotion, then lets hope you are right. But my view for what its worth is that COG would not have got in a top 6 side last season and he wont be playing regularly in a top 6 side next season. The question is therefore, what is the aim? None of us know, only the chairman as after all its his cash. Its just a fact tho that we have biggest gates in the division but still we seem to have less money than everyone else. Typical Brighton. The club is cursed.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
David Burke, which is why he was sacked.

I agree with you, but I would still like to hear CJ's view on this, as he has stood firm against all posters who said our recruitment policy was poor, or that not enough money has been spent or the timing of all our signings have been bad, which was the way Burke dealt with the transfers. But has never actually stated why he feels the transfer windows have been poor, .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree with you, but I would still like to hear CJ's view on this, as he has stood firm against all posters who said our recruitment policy was poor, or that not enough money has been spent and or the timing of all our signings have been bad, which was the way Burke dealt with the transfers. But has never actually stated why he feels the transfer windows have been poor, .

I don't think I have seen CJ post an opinion. It seems to be just facts from the published accounts, & press releases.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its about opinions. I said when we let Murray go that that decision would cost us. Neither CMS and COG are remotely in his class. CMS cant control a football to the standards that I expect and neither can COG. Still if you and the club think COG will win us promotion, then lets hope you are right. But my view for what its worth is that COG would not have got in a top 6 side last season and he wont be playing regularly in a top 6 side next season. The question is therefore, what is the aim? None of us know, only the chairman as after all its his cash. Its just a fact tho that we have biggest gates in the division but still we seem to have less money than everyone else. Typical Brighton. The club is cursed.
It's only cursed if you're superstitious. Half the club's get parachute payments, Burnley spent less than us, & Bournemouth had millions to spend from player sales.

Feb 14, 2010
It's only cursed if you're superstitious. Half the club's get parachute payments, Burnley spent less than us, & Bournemouth had millions to spend from player sales.

I'm not normally but the history of this club since the Bamber years has made me incredibly pessimistic. I had a fleeting moment of optimism when we moved to Falmer, thinking we were back on our feet and also thinking we had the desire to succeed. But then after giving Murray to Palace and watching them get promotion on the back of his goals as we put up with CMS and COG has just put me back to the "typical Brighton" mode of following this well supported but incredibly unsuccessful football club. I'm afraid I'm a believe it when I see it sort of person about the Albion. "Premier league Ready", well the club has talked the talk, so can they walk the walk? I dont think COG is walking the walk but that's just my view.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I don't think I have seen CJ post an opinion. It seems to be just facts from the published accounts, & press releases.

Try this one for starters, post 144 in this thread When will we complete our first signing of the summer?

chaileyjem
Jun 2012

I'm not dressing it up. I agree with you.Ultimately the transfer window last summer was poor one for the club, the targets / signings should have been better, and its frustrating given the money TB spent and for that matter the 3 season tickets and countless pies i cough up for. I trust and hope this season is better. I'm sure O Grady will be able to double his goal tally for starters
However i don't agree that it was because "we dragged our heels" ... Our targets were wrong or the targets we landed didn't in the end deliver.
We had a poor season and made most of our 10 new signings in August doesn't mean we had a poor season BECAUSE we made most of our new signings in August. I've said this already haven't I.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here